The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 15, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
olmontanaboy

Smith carbine

Anybody have any information on these? Navy Arms sells them I think.
Old March 15, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
rjsixgun

Ive had one for 15 years, and use it in comp. What would you like to know about it?
Old March 15, 2009, 10:17 AM   #3
olmontanaboy

Thanks, Are they still avaible from Navy Arms? Are bullet molds availble for it and does it require special loading cases?
Old March 15, 2009, 10:25 AM   #4
rjsixgun

Molds can be had from Rapine, Dixie Gun Works, and I've heard that the Lee Real bullet works. I use a Rapine 520-350 mold for mine. You will need Smith cartrages for the gun, Dixie sells them. They can be had in Brass or plastic. I use the plastic ones, they last a live time, they are reloadable and give a better gas seal than the brass. You DONT need a reloading press to load a smith, just put the powder in the cartrage and seat the bullet by hand!!! Ignition is by musket cap.
Guns are made by Pietta and imported by Navy Arms, and are of very good quality, however, not all original parts will fit, But any needed replacement parts are easy to get. So that is a good thing!
Old March 15, 2009, 10:30 AM   #5
olmontanaboy

Thanks, how do they compare to the repro sharps carbine? are they accurate?
Old March 15, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6
rjsixgun

I've never had a Sharps, but a buddie of mine did have one and my Smith would out shoot it all day and night. But that could have been the gun or the shooters.
The problem with the Sharps is the cartridge. See there NON! you have to roll your own from paper. This paper is glued or tied to the bottom of a Sharps bullet then loaded with powder and glued closed. It does work but a pain in the ass to make, It will take all day to make 100 rounds. You can use regular "Rolling Paper" or "cigarette paper" to make the tube, but nitraited cartrage paper works best.
The Smith does away with all that paper and glueing and just uses a plastic or brass cartridge, during the Civil War they used a form of plastic to make the cartridge, not brass (incase your wondering)
People have been try'n ever since the civil war to make a better cartridge for the Sharps but nothing seems to work as well as hand rolled paper. (untill the 45-70 that is)
Old March 15, 2009, 02:30 PM   #7
olmontanaboy

Great, thanks for all the info, There's one for sale around here, it's supposed to have never been fired, the guy wants $600. I think I'll go and check it out. I cant find one on the Navy Arms site so I'm thinkin they might not carry them any more
Old March 15, 2009, 02:33 PM   #8
rjsixgun

try here

http://n-ssa.org/phpbb/viewforum.php...d5c783540e1f38