The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1
74_sharps

Help needed to identify this powder.

A dear friend of mine gave me this powder. It has some loads on the label as you can see. I need to figure out what powder it is. So if you know, please type up. Also if you have a source for your information on this please post it. Thanks folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic408.JPG (127.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Pic409.JPG (134.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Pic410.JPG (188.9 KB, 76 views)

VISUALIZE WHIRLED PEAS

MAY THE HORSE BE WITH YOU!!!
Old March 2, 2009, 12:50 PM   #2
PCJim

I cannot identify the powder. If you trust your dear friend and/or if the can is still sealed, I don't see any problem testing some loads following the general reloading guideline of reducing 10% and working up.
Old March 2, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
kraigwy

After many years as a LE Bomb tec, policing up fingers and other various body parts, in dealing with old powder, making fireworks, etc. I learned:

WHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 2, 2009, 01:47 PM   #4
oneounceload

From the loadings listed, it looks like it MIGHT be something in the range of a Unique or similar. HOWEVER, the label said for commercial loading only, so it might be one of those proprietary blends.

Personally, I would pour small amounts into a proper receptacle and burn it outdoors to dispose of it until it was all gone.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

No one can identify powder over the internet - period

At first I thought it was an old can of something, but judging from the calibers on the label, it's not very old.

IMO, you have about 5 lbs of fertilizer and a neat looking can to keep as a loading room decoration.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Powderman

It appears that you have a non-canister grade powder--in other words, you have something that is meant for use by an ammunition manufacturer. In short, this stuff is not meant to leave the factory.

Let's look at the salient points:

1. You do NOT have a normal powder marking or label on the can.
2. You do NOT know what's in the can. There is a chance that someone sneaked powder of a different type than the one intended for the can and load data.
3. You have no idea how old the powder is.

You have some choices here.

a. You can be a brave soul, follow the load data, reduce the load and try some. You might get lucky. You might also blow up your gun and yourself. You might get a squib. Who knows?

b. You can make your wife the happiest person in the world if she has a garden or if you have a lawn, and sprinkle it out on the lawn. Gunpowder is an excellent fertilizer.

Your choice!
Old March 2, 2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Jim Watson

"Industrial Pistol Powder" used to be advertised by one of the commercial reloaders as they sold the components they used in bulk reloads. I forget which outfit that was. They did not make it, they bought it, but there is no chance of determining the actual maker or grade of powder. Your only options are to slavishly follow the label loads or to trash it.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've seen that, or similar, for sale at gunshows.

It's normally surplus from a military contract from one of the manufacturers that is sold to a wholesaler.

Unless I miss my guess, this is NOT a cannister powder, meaning that it has no direct equivilent on your local dealer's shelf.

The loads make it appear is if it is a bit slower burning than WW 231, maybe in the range of Longshot or AA 7.

You will NOT find any loading data suitable for use with this powder other than what is on the can.

Don't even try.
Old March 2, 2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Linear Thinker

As a former commercial reloader, I've seen this type of packaging. This is a non-canister grade powder, no way to tell the make.

Reading the load data, it appears to be medium-fast pistol powder, somewhere in-between W231 and Unique.
That is, assuming the label matches what's inside the can.

It could be:
A manufacturer's lot that fell outside the spec for consumer canister-grade powder
A military batch re-packed for trade
An imported lot that has no domestic equivalent
An improperly stored lot with burning characteristics now outside the spec for that powder

I urge you to heed the warnings in this thread, and return the powder to the environment - as lawn fertilizer.
LT