The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 27, 2016, 01:32 PM   #26
Blindstitch

Just because you actively deer hunt doesn't mean you have an elk rifle. I hunted for years with a 30-30 lever action and I wouldn't use that to shoot an elk unless I had to.

He has a 30-06 but there's no reason not to have a special pair of rifles.

Where I live now was an active shotgun zone till 3 or 4 years ago. How many deer hunters do you think had deer rifles then?

There are states that require pistol only cartridges. Those deer rifles wouldn't be good for elk.

See there are many reason to want a new gun or just because.
Old September 27, 2016, 01:38 PM   #27
Scorch

Because honeymoon elk need a different caliber than normal elk!

If settlers pretty much wiped out elk and deer with 44-40s and such, cartridge choice for killing an elk can't be that critical! I bet they killed trainloads of them with 30-30s when those came around!

Just grab the old 30-06 or 308 and go poke one!
Old September 28, 2016, 08:19 AM   #28
salt and battery

A 30-30 with the new lever-lution ammo good enough for elk within 100 yds. does an elk rifle have different stampings on the barrel so as to forbid its use on any other animal? 30-06 with 180-200 grain bullets good for elk further then 90% of hunters can make a hit. if you just want to buy more guns that is fine
Old September 28, 2016, 10:23 AM   #29
doofus47

Congrats! 30-06 would be fine of the choices you mentioned for elk.
308 would be a nice compromise if you thought you were going to spend more time shooting white tail.
Old September 28, 2016, 11:14 AM   #30
Plainshunter1

My recommendation would be a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight or Supergrade in 270. Beautiful rifle and extremely classic, especially in its chambering. Load the 270 with 140 or 150 grain good bonded or monolithic bullets and you're more than set. Top it with a good Leupold VX-3 (or the new VX-3i) in 3.5-10x40. Iconic rifle, iconic chambering, iconic scope.
Old September 28, 2016, 02:36 PM   #31
MislMan

I prefer 6.5 Creedmoor but I have never gone after elk. You might want to check things out at RMEF.org (Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation) for all things elk and elk hunting related. Also, they hunt elk with pistols and bows so I imagine shoot placement and distance may be more important than caliber.
Old September 28, 2016, 05:52 PM   #32
old roper

Congrats!, Here in Co we are allowed one bull tag and one cow elk tag. Last year the game unit I hunted they took 232 bulls,243,cow and 69 calves and that was all rifle seasons.

Be interesting to have the ones that rec 6.5 etc post pictures of the bulls they kill.

I have first season elk tag and I can brag on 270 for that tag but my tag is for cow elk.
NRA Life Member
Old September 28, 2016, 08:17 PM   #33
King453

Well we obviously both have rifles already, I use a Remington 700 CDL 30-06, and she uses an older Remington 7600 pump in 30-06. They would work well for elk. So do we absolutely need new rifles? Probably not. But what a great excuse to each get something new? So really I'm looking for a great deer rifle that would also be well-suited to elk. After everyone's helpful advice, and a bit of my own research, I'm leaning towards a .308 for her, and a 280 Ackley for myself, because I enjoy reloading, and would be willing to invest the extra time into it, as compared to a common, off-the-shelf caliber. Now I just need to decide what I want to purchase for rifles. I have been looking into H-S precision, Northwest Action Works, Red Hawk Rifles, and also toying with the possibility of buying rifled actions, and adding the stock myself. I am very likely to purchase Leupold scopes, I have been a loyal fan since I started using one on my rifle at 15. I have used Nikons and Redfields, and been less than impressed, I have a Minox I really like, but it had to be replaced under warranty right after purchase because of a crooked reticle.
Old September 28, 2016, 08:51 PM   #34
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper
Be interesting to have the ones that rec 6.5 etc post pictures of the bulls they kill.
Wayne van Zwoll 6.5 Creedmoor bull elk. 6.5 Creedmoor may not be the perfect elk cartridge but it'll certainly work. I'd not hesitate to use a 6.5X55 or .260 as well with a good quality 140 grain bullet.
Old September 29, 2016, 04:55 AM   #35
old roper

taylorce1, bet it took you some time to find. My question was to posters here with their experience vs set-up to kill a bull.
NRA Life Member
Old September 29, 2016, 07:27 AM   #36
MislMan

Since you like handloading, maybe consider taking up long range rifle target shooting. Get your semi-custom rifles in appropriate calibers and stocks and learn the ropes. Lots of load development and experimenting with handloads to be had. Also lots of time together at the range keeping you tuned up for deer/elk season.
Old September 29, 2016, 08:39 AM   #37
King453

Quote:
Since you like handloading, maybe consider taking up long range rifle target shooting. Get your semi-custom rifles in appropriate calibers and stocks and learn the ropes. Lots of load development and experimenting with handloads to be had. Also lots of time together at the range keeping you tuned up for deer/elk season.
That is a great idea, I think that is something we would both enjoy. How does one go about taking up this hobby? Other than just setting up a range in my backyard. Do I need to join a certain range or gun club? I'm not sure that there is anything like this in my area. What should I look for exactly?
Old September 29, 2016, 09:46 AM   #38
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper
taylorce1, bet it took you some time to find.
It took all of maybe 20 seconds to find that video, the longest part was typing in the search words. I posted the video because I recommended the 6.5 Creedmoor in my very first post, and you asked a question about bulls taken with it. I have no firsthand experience on game with any 6.5 and I gave away my 6.5X55 this last year so it'll probably be some time until I get another.

I frequent several other forums just as you do, and if you pay attention you'll find several elk killed with 6.5 caliber rifles. Most are on the long range pages as the 6.5 calibers are the favorites of the long range shooters and hunters these days. The .260 still seems to be the most popular for use on elk, but the 6.5 Creedmoor is gaining on the .260 at a very fast pace.
Old September 30, 2016, 07:36 AM   #39
salt and battery

whoever thought of attaching the name creedmore to the 6.5 should be given a medal. I guess it gives the illusion of shooting at the famous match. the 260 rem is 99.9999999% exactly the same but it doesn't have the creedmore stamp on it. then people say main attraction is the factory target loads. who would try the long range game which requires a massive amount of shooting using factory loads and not reloading? can the factory loads for the creed be used for hunting?
Old September 30, 2016, 08:33 AM   #40
MislMan

For Target Shooting go to Accurateshooter.com almost all things long range related are addressed there. Be sure to check out their Forum section and you should be able to find clubs and shooting range within reasonable distances to you.
Old September 30, 2016, 11:25 AM   #41
old roper

King453, If you build right you can do both but for true target LR rifle you want to build one.

Couple of my hunting rifle I shoot LR for my own fun. One is 280AI with 27" barrel,284 also 27" barrel and 30-06 with 26" barrel. I also have 243AI with 27" barrel.

280AI I use for elk same with 30-06 and 284 I can use for elk but like it for one of our early draw buck season here in Co that are above 10K.

You got the 8 twist barrel for 7mm now and I do post on LR forum and been testing the new Hornady ELD-X bullets in the 280AI and 284.

I don't shoot factory chamber rifles.

I've been married 51 yrs and wife hunted with me till about 5 yrs ago with a rifle and she shot 270 and did 280AI before me. She got chance to shoot one of Mel Forbes UL rifle back late 80's and that all it took.
NRA Life Member
Old September 30, 2016, 11:28 AM   #42
old roper

taylorce1, I post on LR hunting forum and I'm not overly impress with you.
NRA Life Member
Old October 1, 2016, 06:28 AM   #43
hooligan1

Well I like the fact the OP handloads, but since he already has some rifles he could work up to snuff, I will be brief.
The .308 is fine for your new bride and you like the .280ai, those will definitely work fine, if you choose custom rifles it may take awhile to get them back, so like Taylorce1 posted, maybe look at those rifle makers who already offer those two rifles in the caliber you choose, and scope them with the brand you trust most, and then Practice Practice Practice!!!!!!
Good luck and Congratulations!