The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2013, 09:22 PM   #26
Shootest

Quote:
I apologize to Shootest for my troll comment. Shouldn't have said it.
Apology accepted, we all say things we wish we hadn’t from time to time.
Old August 22, 2013, 03:14 PM   #27
GWS

Quote:
Forgive me but I do not recall condemning the entire RCBS line. I have been using their products for more than 30 years and what shocked me is to see a kit with several problems in the same box. When you expect high quality and don’t get it you start to think something is up.

"RCBS is slipping".....Thread title on this forum.
"Trouble at RCBS"....Thread title on THR.org

That sounds pretty serious to me.

I suspect you did RCBS more damage than they did to you. You knew they'd come through for you and make it right, having used their products for 30 years.....or is this the first mistake from them you've experienced?
Old August 23, 2013, 02:12 AM   #28
Shootest

The first thing I ordered this year, back in march, was an APS press mounted priming system. It worked well until I used the large primer punch for the first time. It jammed solid inside the unit and would not come free even after I disassembled the entire thing and placed it in a vice. The pin was made oversize and seized up solid. Yes RCBS replaced it quickly and all was fine. At that time I thought no problem everyone messes up once in a while, and I did not complain at all to anyone. Then this happens. Well now I think that I have the right to let others know, and if you don’t well that is just to bad. If I did any damage to them at all, I think they deserved it.
Old August 23, 2013, 08:35 AM   #29
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by A pause for the COZ:

Thats not a valid reason. Just because they cover for their mistakes. That does not mean they should allow shoddy work to happen.
There are consequences for that.
The consequences are, if a manufacturer continuously puts out junk and continuously covers them under a no questions asked lifetime warranty, they go broke, regardless of how many fanboys they have. RCBS is not goin' broke.

Quote:
I have purchased 5 others since then. How many do you think were new ones?
None.
Why should I take a chance on getting a crappy new one when I can get a good proved working used one for 1/2 the price. And they are going to warranty it.
Funny how you trash their products/customer service in one sentence and then brag about it in the next. Do you know for sure none of those other shell holders were not warranty replacements?

Anytime one buys a mass produced item at a price most are willing to pay, there is a chance of getting a bad one.....regardless of manufacturer. This is where customer service comes in. As I said before....both Midway and RCBS are known for theirs, in a positive way. Anyone that visits these types of forums regularly has often seen similar threads such as this one. Someone gets something defective and before they get a response from or even contact the manufacturer/supplier they post on 4 different forums, using a doom and gloom title, trashing them. When dealin' with RCBS or Midway, most times those folks come back a day or two later and say....."whoops, never mind". Why? Because great customer service has taken care of them and made them happy. That is why I suggested the OP should have gone to the source first.
Old August 23, 2013, 10:46 AM   #30
schmellba99

RCBS is good people, and they are going to make you right one way or another with their products.

To expect 100% perfection is unrealistic and juvenile thinking at best - production facilities are going to have some percentage of their product not meet standards. It's the nature of the beast. Most of them spend a significant amount of time and money mitigating that percentage to keep it as close to 0% as possible, but there is a point where you are spending more than you are making in QC that you cannot justify cost wise.

Every thread like this always brings out the green, blue, red or red homers. This one brought out a couple of Lee guys I see.

Lee makes good stuff - I used it for many years. But bottom line is that the Lee products are not as high a quality on average as RCBS. Does that mean that they are junk? No, it does not. There, I said it.

As far as the OP and the other guy bashing RCBS - I think it would have been more fair to RCBS and Midway to let them attempt to fix the problem first before running to the internet to bash them while they were fixing the problem, but that's just me.
Old August 23, 2013, 03:39 PM   #31
Vance

Quote:
schmellba99 RCBS is good people, and they are going to make you right one way or another with their products.

To expect 100% perfection is unrealistic and juvenile thinking at best - production facilities are going to have some percentage of their product not meet standards. It's the nature of the beast. Most of them spend a significant amount of time and money mitigating that percentage to keep it as close to 0% as possible, but there is a point where you are spending more than you are making in QC that you cannot justify cost wise.

Every thread like this always brings out the green, blue, red or red homers. This one brought out a couple of Lee guys I see.

Lee makes good stuff - I used it for many years. But bottom line is that the Lee products are not as high a quality on average as RCBS. Does that mean that they are junk? No, it does not. There, I said it.

As far as the OP and the other guy bashing RCBS - I think it would have been more fair to RCBS and Midway to let them attempt to fix the problem first before running to the internet to bash them while they were fixing the problem, but that's just me.
Today 06:35 AM
buck460XVR
Quote:

Thats not a valid reason. Just because they cover for their mistakes. That does not mean they should allow shoddy work to happen.
There are consequences for that.
The consequences are, if a manufacturer continuously puts out junk and continuously covers them under a no questions asked lifetime warranty, they go broke, regardless of how many fanboys they have. RCBS is not goin' broke.

Quote:
I have purchased 5 others since then. How many do you think were new ones?
None.
Why should I take a chance on getting a crappy new one when I can get a good proved working used one for 1/2 the price. And they are going to warranty it.
Funny how you trash their products/customer service in one sentence and then brag about it in the next. Do you know for sure none of those other shell holders were not warranty replacements?

Anytime one buys a mass produced item at a price most are willing to pay, there is a chance of getting a bad one.....regardless of manufacturer. This is where customer service comes in. As I said before....both Midway and RCBS are known for theirs, in a positive way. Anyone that visits these types of forums regularly has often seen similar threads such as this one. Someone gets something defective and before they get a response from or even contact the manufacturer/supplier they post on 4 different forums, using a doom and gloom title, trashing them. When dealin' with RCBS or Midway, most times those folks come back a day or two later and say....."whoops, never mind". Why? Because great customer service has taken care of them and made them happy. That is why I suggested the OP should have gone to the source first.
I agree 100% with both posters. Every company is going to produce a lemon from time to time. It's how they handle customer service is where I look. Dillon, RCBS, and Hornady have all given me 100% satifactory customer service. Lee has given me somewhat less than satisfactory customer service.
Old August 24, 2013, 08:20 AM   #32
A pause for the COZ

I am sorry some took my comments as RCBS bashing. It was not my intent.
I have their products and I like them.
Here is my point.
When I spend my money. I have certain expectation that need to be met.
If I buy a LEE product. I know I am buying the Budget leader. And I have a certain expectation of the quality of the products.
Happy to say LEE has exceeded my expectations. Not perfect, have had issues.
I usually just spend the two bucks for the replacement part instead of bothering customer service.

RCBS is a Cadillac company, so my expectations are higher. If I spend $45 for a shell plate instead of $9 for one. I expect more.

If I am paying three times as much. I expect I am paying the salary of the guy thats suppose to catch those errors. So I dont have to deal with it at my house. Just the way it is.
Their customer service had far exceeded my expectations.
What ya gona do?

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; August 24, 2013 at 08:29 AM.