The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2013, 01:09 PM   #1
hillbillyme

painting the cases ??

anybody ever paint there cases??? i do a lot of outdoor target shooting (i have several outdoor targets set up here at home) but im always loosing brass i was thinking of putting a light coat of florescent orange spray paint on my cases to make them easyer to find in the grass and leaves... any ideas?? thanks
Old February 7, 2013, 01:45 PM   #2
S_Constitutionist

I used to use a light spray paint to make bad rounds that I planned on pulling. I usually tumbled it off later, but I have fired a few without ill effects. I would worry about it building up in the chamber with a large amount, though.

I think laying a big blue tarp down will serve you better
Old February 7, 2013, 02:14 PM   #3
USMC EOD

I use the tarp idea, but I always have a few that don't cooperate and go out into the leaves and grass. I get so anal about trying to recover every piece of brass, that I have even been known to break out a metal detector.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:25 PM   #4
hillbillyme

" I get so anal about trying to recover every piece of brass, that I have even been known to break out a metal detector."

LMAO i do it all the time,,,, i cant stand to loose something that i know is right in front of my nose LOL

thanks guys
Old February 7, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
serf 'rett

Would not put paint on the cases as that would cause problems when fired in chamber. Ever tried to scrape heat applied paint off a metal surface? Or tried to remove several layers of baked on paint? Besides cleaning problems, the build up would likely lead to feeding problems. Worse case would be insufficient seal between brass and chamber resulting in channeling of hot gases around the case causing damage to firearm and shooter.

Bad idea.

I combat the lost brass problem by tumbling with stainless pins; the shiny brass is much easier to find.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
serf 'rett

If lost brass is absolutely ruining your range time, you could get a revolver. 100% brass recovery if you do your part.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
dickttx

I shoot with my pond dam as a backstop. Loose about 5% even when I KNOW they are right there in front of me. A couple of years ago I built a 9x10' frame from PVC pipe and put a netting over it. Still lost about the same percentage. I did figure out that the cost of the materials I bought, if I recovered ALL the brass, would pay for itself in about 3950 boxes of reloads.
Since I live there I just go out in the morning and evening and look from my mule (Kawasaki type). The different angle of the sun often lets you see the ones that were actually in plain sight when you shot them.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:17 PM   #8
603Country

I used to use red paint on the base of the case, then wiped it off so that the paint was only down in the recessed print. Then I went to MarksaLot on the base. That worked fine till tumbling was done.