The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 14, 2011, 07:50 PM   #1
old fart

22 crickett or heritage 22

i have a 357 magnum that i carry with me when i go out camping, but i am going to get another gun to go with me next year. kentucky has a spring squirrel season that runs 28 days, and while camping i'd like to have a small gun to get a few. i am a small frame guy 5'6" 150lbs and have shot the crickett and shot it well, i've also got a chance to get a heritage rough rider with 6 inch barrel that i shoot well too. which gun if those were your choices would you get?, i'm on a tight budget so these two are my only choices. thanks for any help.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:46 PM   #2
MTT TL

I have seen three examples of Heritages, including the one I traded for a 10/22. None of them shot what I would describe as "well". Wildly inaccurate mostly. The crickett I have never shot. They seem cheaply made but functional.
Old December 14, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
carguychris

Given that the Crickett rifle is essentially a cheaply-built copy of a Winchester Model 67 with a shorter sight radius, I'd take what's behind Door #3: a nice Winchester Model 67.

These can still be had for less than $150 in nice shape, and if you take decent care of it, it will never be worth less than what you bought it for today.
Old December 14, 2011, 11:43 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

The Crickett is a far better firearm than the Heritage.
Old December 15, 2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

I'm surprised a youth sized rifle fits you.
Cricket is good.
Old December 15, 2011, 09:43 AM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Their website indicates that they make an adult model, but it appears to be the standard youth-sized barreled action grafted onto a stock with more length of pull.

IMHO the main disadvantage of the Crickett is its short barrel, which is less than 18" long IIRC. It's difficult to achieve a high degree of accuracy over irons with a barrel this short, although the Crickett does come with a decent rear peep sight. This would not be a factor if the shooter can add optics, but the OP says he's on a tight budget.
Quote:
The Crickett is a far better firearm than the Heritage.
I agree; the Crickett is less cheaply built. However, if it sounds like I'm damning it with faint praise, that's because I am to some degree. IMHO plenty of vintage single-shot .22s are better firearms for an adult than the Crickett, and their prices are generally comparable.
Old December 15, 2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Rusty35

Cant get into the whole "Cricket" thing.
What marketing genius came up with that name?

Why not "Dung Beetle", they are known for not being picky?
Or "Cockroach" , they are very durable and can go places a Cricket cant go?
Old December 15, 2011, 01:28 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
IMHO plenty of vintage single-shot .22s are better firearms for an adult than the Crickett, and their prices are generally comparable.
I agree, buying a used firearm is often the better choice. ...But there are adult-stocked versions of the Crickett rifles. (Many have a longer barrel, as well.)

Quote:
See the comment above.
Old December 15, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
...But there are adult-stocked versions of the Crickett rifles. (Many have a longer barrel, as well.)
Per the Crickett website, the length of the barrel of the adult-stocked .22LR Crickett is... 16-1/8", IOW the same length as the youth model, and as short as you can advisably go without creating an NFA SBR.

http://www.crickett.com/crickett_rif...0cgutsup69vkj0

*FOOTNOTE: Before some .22LR nitpicker jumps in here, I'm well aware that barrels longer than 18" do very little for the cartridge's ballistics; I'm concerned purely with sight radius.
Old December 15, 2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Yung.gunr

Why not just go with a higher quality used .22 that could be had for the price of the new Cricket or Heritage?

My wife has a Heritage with the 4.5 in barrell. It's a lot of fun for plinking, but it would not even be in my list of options for a squirrel gun.
That may be just me though....

When given these as the only two options though, I would go with the rifle. Even with a 16" barrel it still has a foot on the Heritage. That can mean a lot with your intended use.
Old December 15, 2011, 06:22 PM   #11
old fart

i'm on a tight budget and about $150 max is it, also i will be backpacking a few miles into the woods so i was needing something small and light. thanks
Old December 15, 2011, 10:54 PM   #12
Yung.gunr

Well I guess with that tight budget and the backpacking the Heritage with the .22lr & .22mag cylinders would be a good bet for you.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:10 PM   #13
MTT TL

Quote:
IMHO the main disadvantage of the Crickett is its short barrel, which is less than 18" long IIRC. It's difficult to achieve a high degree of accuracy over irons with a barrel this short,
Um, no it isn't.
Old December 17, 2011, 10:55 AM   #14
taurus4life

i would go with a rifle definitly. why not look a mossberg plinkster. u can find them at wally world well under 150 and they have a longer barrel and better sights, plus hold ten rounds. you could also take a look at a rossi single shot .410 which can be had for under 100$http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/70762-1.html
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2MS37001-1.html
Old December 17, 2011, 11:57 AM   #15
22-rimfire

I'd also go with the rifle for effective accuracy reasons on small targets. I'm not a cricket fan oveall, not even for kids.
Old December 18, 2011, 12:59 AM   #16
wayneinFL

I can't shoot the Cricket worth a darn, because it doesn't fit me well.

The Heritage Rough Rider I used to have was one of the most accurate 22 handguns I've owned. The bad news is the darned thing would use up a firing pin every 250-500 rounds for some reason. I got tired of replacing firing pins and sold it for $75.

For inexpensive 22s, I like the Savage that Wal-mart sells. And there are a lot of used 22s out there.

But if you're looking for something compact and you can shoot a Crickett well, go for it.
Old December 18, 2011, 01:44 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The Heritage Rough Rider I used to have was one of the most accurate 22 handguns I've owned. The bad news is the darned thing would use up a firing pin every 250-500 rounds for some reason. I got tired of replacing firing pins and sold it for $75.
It was eating firing pins because they're worth about what you got out of yours: $75 (if you're lucky). They are NOT high quality firearms.

Quote:
But if you're looking for something compact and you can shoot a Crickett well, go for it.
Read the rest of the thread -- Crickett makes adult models, as well.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:47 PM   #18
chris in va

Does h&r or NEF make a 22?
Old December 21, 2011, 11:47 PM   #19
Prof Young

Rossi with two barrels

If you want a compact gun that's not pricey get the Rossi rifle that has two interchangeable barrels. Mine has a 22LR barrel and a 410 barrel. Both barrels shoot well. They make several varieties. Take a look.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old December 22, 2011, 10:15 AM   #20
aarondhgraham

Hello Chris in Va,,,

Yes, H&R makes the Sportster in .22 LR,,,
It comes in a youth version that has a shorter stock,,,
And also in an adult version which has a slightly longer stock.

The rifle on the bottom is the adult stocked .22 Sportster,,,

It's a very accurate shooter and is aesthetically very pleasing to me.

I have been told the NEF and the H&R are the same rifle,,,
I don't know if that's true or not.

A friend of mine purchased the Rossi 22/410 combo for his son,,,
He tells me it shoots just fine with either barrel,,,
But he says my H&R (which I loaned him) is nicer.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 22, 2011, 07:15 PM   #21
Elkins45

Rifle wins every time, since the object is to actually shoot the squirrell, not just shoot AT it.
Old July 19, 2012, 04:21 PM   #22
Al Den

I've a Crickett .22 Mag in the adult walnut stock -- I had LGS order it for me. Keystone Sporting Arms had to catch up their production to get these out again recently. Less than 3-lb. single shot bolt and will fit a diminutive-framed adult. Nice piece of wood. Barrel length is fine. Trigger could be worse. Adjustable reay peep sight is simple and functional but designed to be zeroed in and set. Main issue I have is the cocking piece...

...it is too far over the wrist for me and interferes with a great grip at the web of my hand. Yes, basically a copy of an old Winchester "boys" rifle. It was $220. Scope mount was another $17.

However, mine was obtained primarily to create this one-lb. .22 Mag folding backpacking rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ksa300-walnut-adult-stock-crickett-w-blued-barrel.jpg (16.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Ruta Locura PRK.jpg (21.2 KB, 13 views)
Old July 19, 2012, 04:38 PM   #23
aarondhgraham

He might have been a genius,,,

Quote:
What marketing genius came up with that name?
Actually they were playing off of the Davy Crocket thang,,,
Click here please.

It actually might qualify a "genius" idea,,,
The kids at the time might not know who Davy Crocket was,,,
But the parents and grandparents of the kids knew the name and identified with it.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)