The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 22, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1
9mm

Budget AR 15 1000 or less good models?

So my father was like I am surprised you havn't bought a EBR yet. (I don't have the money at this time and really only interested in handguns) so I want to know what are so good AR-15/M4 models that are budget under 1000 and are really good for the price.

I saw a DMPS once around $630 budget model.

Please no Olympic Arms
Old November 22, 2011, 12:29 PM   #2
ausher

palmetto state armory has some sweet deals.
Old November 22, 2011, 02:00 PM   #3
pturner67

Spikes...mil spec and highly-rated

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...ine-p-443.html
Old November 22, 2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Does this number include optics? If not, you can get a Colt 6920 for right at $1000. Hard to beat that.

As mentioned ablove, Palmetto State Armory (PSA) and Spikes are two great high-quality choices at reasonable prices. I would buy either one of these before spending money on a DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River, etc.

PSA is actually offering a very nice carbine package with the excellent Aimpoint PRO included for $1000. Probably the sweetest AR deal out there at that price. An Aimpoint PRO is over $400 by itself.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2557.php
Old November 22, 2011, 03:08 PM   #5
9mm

I heard the Colt 6920 was built, no short cuts due to it being used buy LEO/MIL, other brands short cut because they arn't contracted. $1000 hard to beat on a COLT, I remember when Obama got in they went to $1300+

No sights, I use iron sights.
Old November 22, 2011, 07:45 PM   #6
RT

Colt Model 6920 M4 16" Carbine--- $945
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920-OB.aspx
Old November 22, 2011, 07:59 PM   #7
kimbershot

i had found palmetto state in columbia sc on the internet and had been curious about them for several months. i will be making a permanent move to sc next week, though i did establish residency there in june. last month, per chance, i visited their new operation in ridgeland--about 5 miles from the new house. i was in ar heaven.

palmetto has some great stuff at extremely fair prices. asked about their stripped 79.95 lower--to my surprise--it was on sale for 49.95!! best, cleanest and nicest finished lower i have ever had--thank you mastercard.

will be building out the lower and have yet to decide on an upper configuration--but one of their offerings will complete the package.

give them a serious look. if your roll your own or decide on an out the door model.
Old November 22, 2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Mobuck

You can get a very useable rifle AND 1000 rounds of ammo for $1K(10 extra mags,too if your'e a good shopper).
Old November 22, 2011, 11:17 PM   #9
arizona98tj

Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport.
Old November 23, 2011, 01:14 AM   #10
chris in va

My Sport has been fantastic, 2000 rounds now. $630.
Old November 23, 2011, 02:45 AM   #11
blacksky

S&W M&P 15 Sport

S&W M&P 15 Sport

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#scoring=tp
Old November 23, 2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
i had found palmetto state in columbia sc on the internet and had been curious about them for several months. i will be making a permanent move to sc next week, though i did establish residency there in june. last month, per chance, i visited their new operation in ridgeland--about 5 miles from the new house. i was in ar heaven.
I thought the same thing when I first walked into their store. It's fantastic to see and handle all the AR stuff they have in person, rather than have to depend on the internet. The storefront isn't that big, but they have a lot of stuff packed in there, and at good prices too.

The staff there is always busy, but also friendly. It seems like they have hired several new guys over the last few weeks - hopefully they will be just as friendly and well-informed.

Quote:
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport.
The S&W M&P-15 Sport is nice, but personally, I'd go for this instead - much closer to Mil-Spec . You don't neccessarily NEED the dust cover, forward assist, or removable trigger guard, but they are nice to have. The better forestock and chrome-lined barrel are definitely advantages, though, IMO.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/8923.php
Old November 23, 2011, 01:19 PM   #13
arizona98tj

I have a variety of guns in my safe....only the AR-15 platforms have dust covers....none of the other rifles and shotguns seem to be the worse for ware because their bolts are exposed to the elements. The only time the dust cover on my ARs are closed is when they are sitting in the gun safe....and does it really matter then?

IMO, too much is made of the Sport's dust cover and forward assist. I've seen more folks lock up their AR-15 by pounding on the forward assist than I've seen actually "fix" the problem....especially those using reloads or substandard ammo.
Old November 23, 2011, 02:21 PM   #14
tahunua001

I can think of three that are all in the $600 range.
1. DPMS sportical/oracle. I own a sportical and have about $900 into it. it is a really nice gun ad perfect for hunting and plinking. it's the most accurate rifle I own, it's the most fun to shoot, it's the 3rd lowest recoil of any rifle in my collection(right behind a 9mm AR15 and a 22LR). it has never skipped a beat and is without a doubt the most reliable semi auto in my collection.

2. is a M&P 15 sport. I've never shot one but I've held one. it seemed alright in the shop but I am not a fan of "cookie cutter" AR15s, the ergos just seem off to me. it has a cult following and is highly recommended among most budget shooters.

3. Palmetto state armory build it yourself kit. the upper halves are usually about $400, their lower build kits are about $100 and their lower recievers fluctuate between $50-100 depending on what kind of sales they're running. the PSA is mostly FNHerstal so they are almost complete milspec but I dont really buy into all the MSpec hype that a lot of other guys insist is the way to go.

all of these are 16" barreled models and chambered in 5.56x45mm.

Quote:
IMO, too much is made of the Sport's dust cover and forward assist. I've seen more folks lock up their AR-15 by pounding on the forward assist than I've seen actually "fix" the problem....especially those using reloads or substandard ammo.
I fully agree with this. any other weapon if you fail to enter battery you dont force the bolt shut, you pull back so you can see what it going on. bolt action, semi, it doesn't matter, you never try to force the bolt forward. same for dust covers. a completely worthless addition to try and list as a reason of superiority.

IMHO the colt is more expensive than M&P and DPMS for the same reason american eagle and aeropostal are more expensive than levis and wranglers. it;s name brand price hike and nothing more. but that's just my opinion and worth exactly what you payed for it.

Last edited by tahunua001; November 23, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old November 23, 2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Marquezj16

All suggestions posted before me has been great so far.

Since my personal experience is with the M&P 15 Sport, I give it my full endorsement. Some will knock it but their owners are more than happy to own one.

If you have to have a dust cover/forward assist, I also have the M&P 15 OR. It's a great rifle as well.
Old November 23, 2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
IMO, too much is made of the Sport's dust cover and forward assist.
Like I said - they are not something you NEED - but with the PSA rifle going for the same money as the M&P-15 Sport, they certainly don't hurt anything.

Also, you get the added benefit of a higher quality forearm (double heat shields) and a chome barrel. Those are definite pluses IMO. I still don't quite buy into the Melonite barrel coating of the S&W. I know there is a lot of marketing fluff touting that it's equal to chrome, but if that's the case, why not just go with chrome? Cost-cutting, that's why. It's cheaper to line the barrel with Melonite.

That said, I definitely wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying the S&W rifles. Much better quality than DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Olympic, etc IMO. Great customer service from S&W, too. I do think some of their offerings are a bit over-priced though, as there are a LOT of great AR offerings out there in the sub-$1000 price range.
Old November 24, 2011, 06:35 AM   #17
madcratebuilder

PSA's basic M4 carbine, mil-spec, $599.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm
Please no Olympic Arms
Don't drink that kool-aid, it's bad for you. With a user name of 9mm you should know that Oly makes the best 9mm AR pistol on the market.
Old November 24, 2011, 07:12 AM   #18
Mobuck

What, specifically, is wrong with a current production Olympic AR?
When someone can cite a significant number of operational/manufacturing problems with this brand(post cast receiver production), I'll accept the fact. Otherwise, it's just heresay/internet BS. I've had nothing but positive experience with several Olympic products.
In regard to the comments about the forward assist and dust cover:
I hunt with my AR rifles and the forward assist is handy when chambering a round w/o making so much clatter/rattle by allowing the bolt to be closed slower but assuring it IS locked. The dust cover keeps snow and debris out of the action/bolt when these are a factor. If you carry the rifle out of a case, the dust cover and an inserted mag keeps the crap from settling inside the action-as it was meant to.
Too many of the dribblings of the Range Rambo types are being accepted as fact when they're much more like fiction.
Old November 24, 2011, 08:12 AM   #19
diablo508

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2557.php

You will not have any regrets
Old November 24, 2011, 11:01 PM   #20
Slowhand

I bought their package deal on a 16” 5.56 M4A1 Patrol Carbine, with an Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic. I’ve managed to get one range trip in with it so far and it’s a great piece of work.

I’ve ordered an Aimpoint 3x Magnifier to add to it. I’m also looking at changing out those M4 Style hand guards with a better rail system. It’s a good starting platform for some personal modifications.
Old November 26, 2011, 01:07 AM   #21
billtool

Bushmaster AR-15 w/A1 sights Mil spec.- you can get one for 750.00. I love both of mine.
Old November 26, 2011, 01:55 AM   #22
mumbo719

+1 on the Spikes ST-15 Mid-Length LE
Old November 26, 2011, 08:41 AM   #23
jsimmons

I have a hard time associating the word "budget" with anything regarding firearms. That being said, establish your budget, and select the highest quality rifle you can find that doesn't exceed your budget (by very much).

As an alternative, you can build your own rifle (if you're familiar with the process or are reasonably capable of performing due diligence and research). That way, you can build a quality weapon system as you can afford it. This has the added benefit of you only spending your money one time instead of buying a rifle and then changing pretty much everything on it to suit your mission requirements.

It's easy enough to build an AR once you identify the major components.

Barrel length - this will partially constrain your gas system of choice. A short 14-inch barrel may restrict you to a rifle-length gas system. A 16-inch barrel (or longer), on the other hand, allows you to select any of the three available gas systems.

Rifling - Standard rifling nowadays in your typical cookie-cutter rifle is 1:9. I recently built my own rifle and chose 1:8, but some folks like really heavier bullets and go 1:7. I stuck with 1:8 because it makes better use of the 55-grain M193 ammo.

Semi-auto or full-auto BCG - this choice will determine what action spring and buffer to buy.

I think those three things are the most important considerations when building your own rifle. The upper and lower receivers, stock, pistol grip, hand guard and sights are a matter of personal preference more than anything else.

In the end, a properly assembled rifle using reasonable quality parts will cost in the neighborhood of $1200. If you spread that out over a year's time, that's $100 per month.

On the downside, home-built ARs are difficult to sell for what you have in them (if the need arises) because people (me included) are leery of weapons that some yahoo built in his basement.
Old November 26, 2011, 09:32 PM   #24
mitchntx

Quote:
I saw a DMPS once around $630 budget model.
Stopped by the Dallas Gun Show at Market Hall today and picked up a DPMS OR for $560.