The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 19, 2001, 12:38 PM   #1
44Special

Installing Timney trigger on Savage Scout

I recently purchased the Timney replacement trigger for my Savage Scout rifle, and am planning on doing the installation job myself.

I have read through the instructions, and it looks straight forward enough. I was wondering if anyone on TFL had any advice or warnings to offer before I do the job.

Thanks
Old September 23, 2001, 06:11 AM   #2
Steve Rose

The installation is pretty straight forward. If your rifle is typical of most Savages I've worked on you'll need to add shims between the trigger and the housing to reduce the side to side play of the trigger. Otherwise the trigger will "wiggle" on its pin and give inconsisitant pull weights.

I use steel shim stock drilled and shaped into washers. Measure the gap between the trigger and the housing with a feeler guage.
Make the shims .003" - .005" less than this thickness. Watch that liitle "E" clip on the trigger pin, it's a bear to find when it flies across the room.
Old September 23, 2001, 12:38 PM   #3
Lefty

Here's some safety tips too ...

To add what Steve said:

When you think you're done -- use a snap cap or fired case, install and close the bolt [I remove the scope for this part] -- then proceed to slam the stock down hard on the floor a few times in safe, 1/2 safe, and fire positions -- the firing pin must not fall!!. If it does, IMHO you have an unsafe trigger for a hunting firearm.

I also take a large rubber or rawhide mallet and whack the action on the receiver/barrel bridge and from other places on the sides of the action [to simulate falling in the woords ... not that we ever do that -- do we ??]. This is where those shims Steve mentioned are key!!

FWIW -- I've taken stock Savage triggers to a safe 3.5 pounds for hunting that will pass the repeated [no less than 10 times each hit] tests above. My "Benchrest Wannabie" Savage has a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger set to 12 ounces -- it is soooooooo well made that it passes all of the tests above. Good luck - be safe and enjoy that Savage -- they're great shooters !!
Old September 24, 2001, 09:12 PM   #4
44Special

Thanks for the input

The instructions that came with the trigger made it seem pretty easy, but I know from past experience that manufacturers instructions are not always complete.

I will let you know how it turns out.