The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2016, 08:07 PM   #26
amd6547

Use a firm, forward pushing grip on the pump, and a firm pull grip on the pistol grip. I hold at kind of a low shoulder position so I can see above the barrel, and it is safely away from the body. Aim low at longer distances...I would aim at the belt at 25yds and hit the chest.

I read a book recently by Patches Watson, the famous Vietnam era SEAL. He could have used anything on his ambushes and raids...Stoner, CAR-15, Swedish K...
But his favorite was an Ithaca Model 37 with the Buttstock cut off to make a PGO, loaded with #4 buck.
Old September 7, 2016, 12:34 PM   #27
XDforever

Where would I look for a birds head grip for a shotgun? Who sells these things?

Joe
Old September 7, 2016, 12:44 PM   #28
FITASC

Amazon, Ebay, GunBroker

Use Google
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 7, 2016, 05:33 PM   #29
benEzra

Quote:
From my research (Google) there seem to be very few people that actually like pistol grip shotguns. I am talking no stock just the pistol grip.

I understand not wanting to shoot heavier loads out of it but I am looking at some combo kits that come with an interchangeable stock and pistol grip. I think the options are pretty cool and versatile but there seem to be a lot of folks out there against it.

Any experiences good or bad?
Some experience. Bad.

The recoil is annoying, but the *real* issue with PGO shotguns is the extreme difficulty in hitting anything past a few yards, and (given the likelihood of a miss) the inability to make a rapid correction and followup shot.

Because of the recoil, you can't use sights very well (putting a 12-gauge PGO in front of your face at eye level is a good way to lose some teeth), and because you don't have the third point of contact that a shoulder stock would deliver, it's a lot harder to point with than a stocked shotgun is, even at close range.

In my opinion, if you want a gun that would be fun to shoot at the range and that could double as an effective home-defense gun, get a stocked shotgun with an 18.5" barrel. If you absolutely have to have the short overall length of a PGO shotgun (such as if you are looking for a firearm to store in a locker on your boat, or whatever) then I'd consider a quality folding stock. But PGO's are very, very hard to use effectively at any distance, and if you put in the hours of practice to be able to wield one even semi-effectively, you'd still not be nearly as good as if you were using a stocked shotgun.
Old September 7, 2016, 08:43 PM   #30
Onward Allusion

Quote:
XDforever
Where would I look for a birds head grip for a shotgun? Who sells these things?
This is the one my mine. Because of the grip's design, I shoot it from the hip or with the butt against my gut. Gotta keep in my that PG shotguns are strictly close range weapons. Personally, no more than 10 yards.

https://www.amazon.com/Shockwave-Tec...birdshead+grip
Old September 8, 2016, 03:29 AM   #31
bamaranger

terrible

Pistol grip ONLY? Yeah, a bad idea....TV/Hollywood stuff. A folder allows simpler storage, but the advantages of a full size stock. About the only legit use for a PG only might be for a shotgun that was dedicated ONLY to breaching, but I will admit I know very little about that business.

I have read somewhere that some shotguns deployed to the Middle East were PG's only, dedicated to breaching.....in fact there was no combat/projectile ammo available for them. No source, that from memory.
Old September 8, 2016, 06:58 AM   #32
amd6547

http://www.google.com/search?q=patch...tDFTSIYycFM%3A
Old September 8, 2016, 08:36 AM   #33
mavracer

Get a PGO shotgun and a shot timer and compare times through even a simple course and you'll see the folly of PGO
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 8, 2016, 10:56 AM   #34
BigMikey76

The only advantage to PGO is being able to store in a smaller bag/case/hiding space. It is a big disadvantage when shooting. If you go for a PG with a over fold or side fold stock, you get the best of both worlds.
Old September 8, 2016, 12:08 PM   #35
T. O'Heir

It's mostly the lack of control that matters. If you can shoot a shotgun from the hip(also lacks control) without hurting yourself, you can shoot one with a pistol grip.
A birds head grip for a shotgun you'd have to make. And bring to 'Show and Tell'. snicker.
Old September 8, 2016, 01:54 PM   #36
TxGun

For those of you who missed it the 1st time, Hickok45 has no problem hitting a distant gong with a PGO shotgun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHAEvbf_I4

Last edited by TxGun; September 8, 2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old September 8, 2016, 09:54 PM   #37
amd6547

T.O'Heir said "A birds head grip for a shotgun you'd have to make. And bring to 'Show and Tell'. snicker."
Not quite. This is the one I have used:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/221...ynthetic-black
Old September 9, 2016, 12:32 AM   #38
benEzra

Quote:
For those of you who missed it the 1st time, Hickok45 has no problem hitting a distant gong with a PGO shotgun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHAEvbf_I4
Those plates are pretty close (7-10 yards, looks like), and he has more shotgunning experience in his pinkie finger than most people have in total.

Compare that video of hickok45 shooting the PGO shotgun to how quickly and effortlessly he hits with stocked shotguns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaa6wsw7Ts&t=13m46s

No matter how experienced someone is, they will always be faster and much more precise with a stocked shotgun than with a PGO, if they put the same amount of training and practice into both, especially on moving targets or under stress. (If you don't believe me, shoot some clays or a round of skeet with a PGO...some people can do it, but they can do it better with a stock.)

Last edited by benEzra; September 9, 2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old September 9, 2016, 01:16 AM   #39
TxGun

No matter how experienced someone is, they will always be faster and much more precise with a stocked shotgun than with a PGO, if they put the same amount of training and practice into both, especially on moving targets or under stress. (If you don't believe me, shoot some clays or a round of skeet with a PGO...some people can do it, but they can do it better with a stock.)

Yeah, I realize all that, as most here do.

From my previous post, #15: I much prefer a tradionally stocked gun. A PGO gun could, potentially, fill a narrow niche for some people. But versatile they are not.

That said, if you actually watch the video, you'll realize that I was talking about the gong in the far back of his range (@7:44), which Hickok45 rings several times in a row. He reinforces my own experience with a PGO shotgun...which is consistently hitting with slugs at a distance that may be surprising to the inexperienced is not particularly difficult with some skills and a little practice. (I've found the same to be true, BTW, of snub-nosed revolvers...which Hickok has also demonstrated). But I do have a luxury most don't: I'm very fortunate in that I have access to a range anytime I'm so inclined since we have a nice one on our place about 200 yards out my back door.

Last edited by TxGun; September 12, 2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old September 11, 2016, 08:39 PM   #40
Dragline45

yes