The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 20, 2012, 08:46 PM   #26
teeroux

Seen it at the high end skeet ranges/ wannabe country clubs.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:30 AM   #27
Pistolgripshotty

Guns + Alcohol...things can go really good or things can go really bad. Its just one of those things
Old September 21, 2012, 10:26 AM   #28
Falcon5NZ

I might have 1 or 2 beers (e.g with a meal) then shoot but anything more I'm not touching one. If I won't drive on it why shoot on it.

Down here in Southland, NZ duck shooting is very popular but participants seem to be at either end of a scale. 1 end has the hardcore shooters and the other has the guys who treat it as a booze up with guns leaning in the corner, I sit closer to the shooters end however a beer or 2 with lunch is the norm and a nip of something to start the day.

Here in NZ age's are:-
15 to drive
16 to buy most firearms
17 to serve in the Armed Forces
18 to drink, vote and buy pistols, full auto's and MSSA's

In saying that NZ has a large drinking culture e.g Anyone can be bought alcohol by their parents in a bar so perhaps my opinions are slightly skewed by that.
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!
Old September 21, 2012, 02:32 PM   #29
jimbob86

Quote:
The sky will not fall, folks.
Maybe, Maybe not, but if you drink and handle firearms, and an airplane falls on you, then you are that guy: the headline will read

Intoxicated Man with Gun Injured

Don't Be That Guy. You represent all gun owners.
Old September 21, 2012, 03:13 PM   #30
Skans

Quote:
Don't Be That Guy. You represent all gun owners.
While I am of the personal belief that one or two beers, after shooting, will not hurt anything, I really do agree with the above statement. All of us really do represent ALL gun owners, especially if/when we do something stupid.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:25 PM   #31
FrosSsT

Quote:
As long as the drinking is after the shooting.
I think thats going to be hard to enforce
Old September 23, 2012, 08:44 PM   #32
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I am of the personal belief that one or two beers, after shooting, will not hurt anything
Maybe, but I forsee people deciding to play around with their guns in the drinking area afterwards, leading to tomfoolery and injury. Alcohol is a drug, and one that compromises judgement and reaction time, even in small amounts.

I've run ranges where such things happened with no alcohol present. I'd be very leery of one in which it was.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:11 PM   #33
Master Blaster 2

I can carry concealed in my state and drink as loing as I dont go above .08. I can recall a few times in Vietnam I was kinda almost drunk and shooting too.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; September 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 03:44 AM   #34
Justice06RR

I wish they would build one of these in my area!

The rules are pretty clear in their governor's club. You are not allowed to shoot after you are served a drink. Simple as that. This new gun club is getting all sorts of attention even though its still not built. I guess any attention is good attention...
Old September 24, 2012, 12:15 PM   #35
Skans

Quote:
Maybe, but I forsee people deciding to play around with their guns in the drinking area afterwards, leading to tomfoolery and injury. Alcohol is a drug, and one that compromises judgement and reaction time, even in small amounts.
Let me clarify what I was talking about. I'm talking about having one or two beers when I'm all done, at home either by myself or with a friend cleaning guns. If drinking is going on at a range, I could see it if it were a private club and strict rules about guns being put away for the day.

But, I would have no interest shooting at a range where anyone can walk in, go shooting, and then booze it up after - just not my thing.

Last edited by Skans; September 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM.