The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 1, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1
jasmith85

Ruger Super Redhawk

I was offered a like new Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag for my Sig P226 but am somewhat worried about whether or not I can fire it. I have experience with two 44 mags and they were on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. First I fired a Smith & Wesson 44 mag, I think it was a model 629. I loved this gun and had no problems whatsoever with the recoil. My second experience was with a Ruger Vaquero. Every time I fired the Vaquero I had to adjust my grip because the gun would slide in my hand. I think my problem wasn't the gun but the grip shape but I'm worried that since the Super Redhawk is made by the same company as the Vaquero I'll have the same issues with it. Have any of you had experience with both of these guns and if so, would you recommend a Super Redhawk to someone like me that had problems with the Vaquero?
Old May 1, 2012, 04:02 PM   #2
*NOVA*

Vaquero has different shaped handle compared to the SRH, wich is exactly like the GP100 handle / factory grips. That being said, I just realized the attached photo shows a Crimson Trace grip on the GP100, but you get the idea...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRH_GP100.jpg (242.3 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by *NOVA*; May 1, 2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: correction
Old May 1, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Gdawgs

The Redhawk is also heavier, so that will help tame it down too. The 44 Mag Redhawks are nice shooters.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:40 PM   #4
jasmith85

Thanks for the replies. I think I will make the trade. The P226 has just lived in my safe since I bought it anyway.
Old May 2, 2012, 03:08 AM   #5
BIG P

Yes ,I would make the trade.The SRH is a great handgun,I've used them for years no complaints at all.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:55 PM   #6
btmj

My super redhawk has a 9 inch barell, and recoil is very manageable. Even shooting 300 grain Buffalo Bore 1200 ft-lb hot loads is not too bad.

Standard grade 240 grain 900 ft-lb loads out of a SRH are no different than shooting a full size 357 magnum revolver. You can shoot 100 rounds in a range session without a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06050.jpg (117.3 KB, 25 views)
Old May 4, 2012, 12:23 AM   #7
BIG P

Mine is in 454, And the extra weight of a scope helps with the recoil.
The 454 can get a little snappy out of a SRH,Ilove it.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #8
btmj

Quote:
The 454 can get a little snappy out of a SRH,Ilove it
Yes, I imagine it would. The 454 is about 50% "more" cartridge than the 44 mag.

That SRH is actually my wifes gun. She is a revolver nut, and a recoil junky. Her goal is to take a hog with it... but we have not been able to make that happen yet.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:31 PM   #9
thedaddycat

The SRH in .44 mag is no problem for me to shoot even weak hand only. I don't have a scope on mine but as mentioned, with a 9 1/2" barrel it still weighs 58 oz. which takes a bit of the recoil out of that round. I have not shot anything in .454 yet, but I wouldn't mind trying one out. I also have a S&W 629-1 with a 5 7/7" barrel and IMO it has more recoil than the SRH.

Here is a pic with both of the .44s along with a few other wheel guns:

If you were to cut the barrel of the SRH off at the front of the frame, you would have something akin to a "Mountain Gun"...
Old May 4, 2012, 04:28 PM   #10
temmi

The SRH will be no problem for you at all

Snake
Old May 5, 2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith85
Ruger Super Redhawk
I was offered a like new Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag for my Sig P226 but am somewhat worried about whether or not I can fire it. I have experience with two 44 mags and they were on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. First I fired a Smith & Wesson 44 mag, I think it was a model 629. I loved this gun and had no problems whatsoever with the recoil. My second experience was with a Ruger Vaquero. Every time I fired the Vaquero I had to adjust my grip because the gun would slide in my hand. I think my problem wasn't the gun but the grip shape but I'm worried that since the Super Redhawk is made by the same company as the Vaquero I'll have the same issues with it. Have any of you had experience with both of these guns and if so, would you recommend a Super Redhawk to someone like me that had problems with the Vaquero?
jasmith85 is offline Report Post
The "plowshare"-shaped grip of the Western-style, Single-Action revolvers were designed (I am told) to encourage the gun to rotate in the hand for three reasons.

1 To absorb recoil,

2 to put the gun in position for the thumb to cock the hammer for the next shot and

3 to point the gun up to facilitate any broken percussion caps (remember, the western-style single action revolvers were originally black powder cap and ball weapons and sometimes the percussion caps would fall off the nipples after firing; jamming with works tended to be very bad, so letting a loosened cap to fall free of the action is a good idea).

The (as was pointed out before, by NOVA) the double action revolvers of today have a completely different shape and the grips are often made of higher-friction material.

Which any given shooter prefers, though is a matter of personal preference. Some shooters like the alleged recoil absorption of the western-style grips and some prefer the tighter grip of the modern double action. You have tried one, now it is time to try the other.

Definitely, try the other.

Good luck,

Lost Sheep