The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 19, 2017, 08:35 PM   #1
turkeestalker

Century UC9 (thoughts, opinions, theories)

Local shop has a Century UC9 that they originally sold new to an individual who brought it back pretty quickly and exchanged it due to brass shavings accumulating in the action when it was fired. That individual's choice to do things that way, pretty much put everyone else in a trick bag of sorts. They've been sitting on it for well over a year since.
I've never held much interest for this sort of toy but I had one of my sons in tow the other day when picking up a couple of pocket pistols, and he about flipped all googly eyed over it.
I could pick it up for $400 plus tax which I know is a pretty good price.
Based on that I contacted Century and asked about their lifetime warranty which turns out is only good to the original purchaser.

Anyone have any experience with one of these, likes and or dislikes, but most importantly ideas as to why it may be accumulating the brass shavings?

Just contemplating.
Old January 20, 2017, 05:07 AM   #2
peggysue

Heavy and awkward gun. I have one in my collection because i can't own or afford machine guns. If you want a inexpensive UZI copy I'd jump on it for $400. As long as it shoots why not. All guns get dirty. Try different ammo.
Old January 20, 2017, 08:33 PM   #3
turkeestalker

Knowing how my youngest will react, I'm inclined to agree with you peggysue.
So much so that I stopped by after work this afternoon and pushed for them to eat the tax and they agreed, so $400 and I was out the door. Came with a 32 and 25 round magazine in the original box with no paperwork.
The thing is stupid heavy, and has a ridiculously long barrel to keep it legal.

I stripped it when I got it home, and it was bone dry throughout lest some of the original grease dried and crusted in some spots. Cleaned it and lubed it well, we'll see what happens when I try it out tomorrow.

Both sons are heading over in the morning to hit the range and I'm not saying a word until I open the case, their reaction should be fun.
I do love surprising them with something that I know they'll flip over.
Even when it doesn't do much for me, watching them always does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170120_183608421.jpg (221.6 KB, 175 views)
Old January 21, 2017, 04:56 AM   #4
peggysue

You can get a FAX Silencer for it too. look better. The grip and grip safety is uncomfortable and the charging handle hurts. You will have FTFs as it is far from perfect. Likes hotter 9MM ammo. Still a part of history.

PIC of mine...

Last edited by peggysue; January 21, 2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old January 21, 2017, 04:31 PM   #5
turkeestalker

I'll admit that the faux suppressor does help it's visual appeal peggysue, yours looks pretty sharp.

I'm happy after it's first outing, and both boys were ecstatic to put it mildly.
I'll admit that it was a lot of fun to plink with and I might've enjoyed it as much as they did.

150 rounds of Winchester white box and no shavings that I can find.

It did one time catch a spent case in the channel cut of the outside leading edge of the bolt and hold it there through two more rounds being cycled and fired, but didn't prohibit function. Simply stopped firing, opened the bolt slightly, and flicked it free.

I realize that 150 rounds is no measure, but I'm wondering if the original purchaser simply decided that maybe it wasn't what he wanted after all.

Dang it all !! I guess now I'm just going to have to keep on shooting it to find out for sure... ratz!!
Old January 22, 2017, 07:39 AM   #6
peggysue

You got it at a great price. Congrats.
Old January 22, 2017, 09:11 AM   #7
turkeestalker

Thanks, and thank you for your input.
Old January 24, 2017, 05:26 PM   #8
JohnMoses

I run steel through mine without issue. It's a fun toy, the kids of all ages love it. It still runs with a couple of empty cases in the action!
Old January 24, 2017, 09:40 PM   #9
Overkill777

I would have bought it at that price. If it proves reliable you might consider SBRing it.