The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2017, 09:19 PM   #51
gbclarkson

To me, at first glance, it looked like a Steyr.
Old January 12, 2017, 10:29 PM   #52
jimbob86

Watched the video ......While the low bore axis may be a good thing for recoil ...... how does keep a serious grip on the thing with the slid making like a cheese grater on ones thumbs?

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 12, 2017, 11:01 PM   #53
reddog81

Looks akward and not really anything like a 1911. There are at least a dozen guns that look more similar to a 1911 than this. And contrary to a couple of posts on this thread the company is promoting as 1911 inspired. Just google it the headline on their website is 1911 inspired 9mm pistol.
Old January 12, 2017, 11:12 PM   #54
Cheapshooter

Twelve hundred dollar failure!!!
Striker fired, double stack 9MM, integrated trigger safety. 1911? REALLY?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 12, 2017, 11:26 PM   #55
reddog81

They might have luck marketing it as a hybrid with the best features of a 1911 crossed with the best features of a Glock, of course it also has a price that would allow you to buy both a 1911 and a Glock. However I'm not really sure what features of a 1911 it has. I know the trigger pulls straight back but it also has a integrated safety built into the trigger so that kind of negates a comparison.
Old January 13, 2017, 01:58 AM   #56
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It's NOT a 1911.
It's STYLED after the 1911.
Agree 100% And it's not even that close of a style match.
Old January 13, 2017, 01:28 PM   #57
jimbob86

Quote:
I know the trigger pulls straight back but it also has a integrated safety built into the trigger so that kind of negates a comparison.
While the trigger may pull straight back like the 1911, because it is striker fired, the striker gets cocked on the pull, right? It's not going to have that short, even pull and crisp break of a 1911.......

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 13, 2017, 05:22 PM   #58
spacemanspiff

I speed-readed this thread and apologize if its already been said....

This...is.....BLASPHEMY!!!!

Old January 13, 2017, 05:34 PM   #59
Jim Watson

Straight line trigger like a 1911? With .115" of travel? My real 1911 has .036" and of course the well set up commercial guns have less than that.
Old January 15, 2017, 11:33 AM   #60
lockedcj7

May it go the way of the Hudson car.

It has a slide, it has a grip safety, the grip angle is close, it has sights, and some of the controls are in some of the same places. Other than that....
Old January 15, 2017, 02:26 PM   #61
drobs

The Hudson name sucks. Should've gone with something more tacticalish...
Old January 16, 2017, 11:03 PM   #62
Chainsaw.

Whats with the double chin??
Old January 17, 2017, 01:36 AM   #63
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
May it go the way of the Hudson car.
Why?

Wow. Really tough crowd...

A new gun from a new gun company which has some interesting and sought after features (grip, bore axis) and very few seem to be willing it to succeed.
Old January 17, 2017, 02:18 AM   #64
DubC-Hicks

I actually REALLY like the looks of it. The straight back trigger design is also intriguing, and could be quite nice if the striker is fully cocked like on an XD or P320, instead of the trigger cocking the striker like on a Glock. If only they could've used a magazine design already in place, with higher capacity. Like a 92FS/M9 17 round mag.

I've also been waiting for a good metal frame striker pistol. Just wish it was a more reasonable price. That'll be my biggest concern with it.
Old January 17, 2017, 10:58 AM   #65
44 AMP
Staff

The only "1911" feature I could see was one side of the magazine catch button.

A "straight back" trigger pull isn't unique to the 1911. A JENNINGS .22 has a straight back trigger pull!

Quote:
Wow. Really tough crowd...
We are!

Quote:
A new gun from a new gun company which has some interesting and sought after features (grip, bore axis) and very few seem to be willing it to succeed.
It's not really that we think it should not succeed, its that we don't think it should succeed claiming it's the "new 1911" when clearly it's not.

Yes, it is profaning the gods doing so...

You may be the strongest guy around, and you may hurl a pretty mean thunderbolt, but its not right to call yourself the Son of Zeus unless you actually ARE the son of Zeus.

This one certainly is the son of ...somebody, but it ain't Zeus.

Loki, maybe....
Old January 17, 2017, 01:16 PM   #66
ttarp

I think 44 summed it up pretty well. Nobody likes a faker, a pistol needs to stand on its own merits, not claim to be something its not.
Old January 17, 2017, 01:17 PM   #67
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
It's not really that we think it should not succeed, its that we don't think it should succeed claiming it's the "new 1911" when clearly it's not.
But it's not claiming that. The company website mentions the trigger being 1911 style, and the promotional video features a 1911.
But it also features a medieval crossbow. Not exactly laying it on thick, is it?

The online article made the "new 1911" claim.
Better to wish that an inaccurate firearms blog should fail, if those are the criteria! They're the ones who shouted: "Hey look!! There's Thor! OMG, get a loadda Thor, dudes!!"...about a guy at the bar wearing an Asgard T-shirt.

There just seems like a lot of negativity and a fair bit seems knee-jerk to me.
I wish them luck.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; January 17, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old January 17, 2017, 03:34 PM   #68
dgludwig

Quote:
But it's not claiming that.

I agree. Take away the 1911 pretense and the "Hudson" pistol brings its own assets/liabilities to the table.

And, for those who don't know any better, the Hudson car was a pretty good vehicle in its day.
Old January 17, 2017, 04:11 PM   #69
lee n. field

Quote:
It has a slide, it has a grip safety, the grip angle is close, it has sights, and some of the controls are in some of the same places. Other than that....
It does not have a grip safety.

Last night I listened to an interview with the makers.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 17, 2017, 09:44 PM   #70
Aguila Blanca

And I talked to the designers at the SHOT Show on Tuesday. They don't claim it to be a 1911, but they do state that it was inspired by the 1911, and the female of the daring duo proudly mentioned that she still has a Kimber at home.

It doesn't feel bad in the hand, but I didn't like it. The trigger is single action, it does NOT cock the striker. None of the display models at the show have magazines in them. When I picked up the Hudson and tried the trigger -- nothing happened. I thought it might have a magazine safety, but when I racked the slide and then pulled the trigger, it worked.

The trigger felt -- odd. It's sort of, kind of, almost like a 3-stage trigger. First the trigger finger has to take up the travel on that safety doohickey. Once that has been done, it's still not a uniform pull. With a decently-tuned 1911, of course, trigger travel after initial take-up is virtually zero. Not so this thing.

And they do offer an ambi thumb safety as an option. It leaves me wondering why they didn't just use a thumb safety and forget the trigger doohickey, but I didn't ask because there were a lot of people at the booth and I didn't want to ask too many hard questions.

The mag release is reversible, but not ambi. And there is no grip safety.

Seems decent quality (like you can tell that from a show demo model without firing it or even field stripping it), but I'm not interested. I think it's too much money for what it is, but the designers are awfully proud of it.
Old January 17, 2017, 09:49 PM   #71
TxFlyFish

Are people still falling for the low bore axis marketing. I'd say most new low bore axis designs don't actually have lower recoil than what's currently available on the market. Most
Old January 18, 2017, 03:39 AM   #72
44 AMP
Staff

I will concede that it being the "new 1911" was a reviewer's hype, and the maker only claims inspiration from the 1911. Claiming inspiration from the 1911 is much less irksome, and likely quite true.

Lots of things inspire people, in large and small ways.

One could make a reasonable argument that every tilt barrel locked breech semi auto pistol designed after 1911 was inspired by the 1911. (no matter how differently mechanically the new design is carried out, it could still be inspired by the 1911 design)

I like to watch war movies set in WWII. I've found 3 general categories, those that show what really happened (including documentaries), those that are "based on historical events", (which get some of the history right but add things that didn't happen, or leave out things that did), and those "inspired by" actual events, which may only have certain names in common with actual history.

So, I don't count on anything "inspired by" as being the same as the "inspiration".

I'm old, cheap, and pretty set in what I like and what I don't. Just at a glance, the Hudson is too much money for too little of what I like and want in a handgun. Also, I find it ugly.

Why is it that the last elegant striker fired 9mm seems to have been the Luger??
Old January 18, 2017, 10:52 AM   #73
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
the Hudson is too much money for too little of what I like and want in a handgun.
Sticking with the mythology theme, I agree the price is the Achilles' Heel for this gun.

However well it shoots, and well built 4 figures seems a lot for a gun with neither pedigree (long-established/respected brand) nor track-record.
Old January 18, 2017, 12:57 PM   #74
ferrarif1fan

Hideous!
Old January 18, 2017, 09:57 PM   #75
Aguila Blanca

I don't see what they really gained by lowering the recoil spring. The slide has to be on the same axis as the barrel, and the slide can't go lower than the web of the hand or it becomes a one-shot-go-to-the-infirmary pistol. What I see lowering the recoil spring doing is making for a shorter spring that's going to be more prone to rapid fatigue.