The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 19, 2016, 08:25 PM   #1
75218ron

Which One?

I have decided to use one of my revolvers for HD instead of a semi. I'm thinking 627 8 shot 4" or 686 7 shot 5". I could also use an S&W model 67 38 sp. The 686 has the double lugged bbl. which I don't really care for. I like the 8 shot but i like the longer bbl on the 7 shot one. Lol, I know this isn't a major problem but I would just enjoy some feed back from some of you. Thanks. The problem is that if I had to use one of them, I would have to turn it over and I doubt if I would ever get it back.
Old December 19, 2016, 08:47 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
The 686 has the double lugged bbl. which I don't really care for.
The extra weight in the barrel enables the barrel (front sight), to hold steady. Many people do not understand the type of balance that supports steady hold. They will talk about such things as "...how well it feels in the hand...", which is not actually ideal. For instance most people will really like the "feel"/balance of a Luger. However, a four-inch Luger is far from the ideal...the front sight would be more difficult to control than a heavier barrel. So, don't be so disapproving of the underlug on a 686, it is more than just cosmetic.
Old December 19, 2016, 09:18 PM   #3
75218ron

Thanks....I like a 5" bbl...it's a good compromise.
Old December 19, 2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Model12Win

A 5" barrel is too long for home defense, IMHO. It increases the likelihood of a grab. Stick with the shorter gun and the extra shot.
Old December 19, 2016, 10:15 PM   #5
75218ron

Thanks. I also have a double action only snub SP101 38, but it only has 5 shots.
Old December 22, 2016, 05:44 PM   #6
BigJimP

The last thing I would worry about is the value of the gun I choose to carry or use for home defense.../ not the least of which is because its a one in a gazillion chance you'll ever need to use it .. ( my primary carry gun is a Wilson Combat 5" 1911, in 9mm )...it would irritate me to give it up too -- but I would be happy to give it up, if I ever really needed it.

I like revolvers for home defense...and personally my choice is a 686 ( 6 shot ) in a 6"..with a speed loader next to it in my bedroom.

I shoot my revolvers in .357 Mag a lot -- especially the N frames - at least 2 boxes a week of .357 Mag in Tactical shooting drills in and out of a holster.

I have K, L and N frames.../ N frames .357 Mag - I have a pair of 627's ( 8 shot) perf center guns - a 2 5/8" and a 5" -------- a 4" model 27 and a model 28 ------- / in L frames 686's in 4" and 6" ...(and K frames in 2", 4" and 6"...).

In general, I find the 5" and 6" guns are easier to shoot beyond 21 Feet or so ...4" is a great gun but a little short ( shorter sight plane ) beyond 21 Ft in rapid fire ( takes a little more concentration to shoot the 4" well ... ----- and a 2 - 3" is also just fine under 21 Ft ..but its the most difficult of the barrel lengths to shoot well beyond 21 Ft ( taking even more concentration than the 4" guns ).

For home defense, I think a gun like a 686 in a 6" is a very good option -- to me, its not clumsy / its quick to come up on target and easy to shoot Tactically very accurate out to 30 Ft in rapid fire -- not that any revolver can't be effective. Tactical Accuracy to me is center chest -- or basically nipple to nipple and a 11" rectangle down toward belly button...I consider a shot above that a miss / or below that a miss / or to left or right of it a miss. I routinely practice Draw and fire 2 shots in under 2.3 sec -- and I train to a 95% accuracy goal within that time frame. It sounds easier than it really is ...it does take some practice in my view ..all double action.

If I were in a Defensive shooting situation I would want to double tap the intruder - and then execute a speed reload ( retaining the other 4 unfired rounds in a pocket if I could ). So capacity ( 5, 6, 7 or 8 rounds is not a big deal in my view ).... I could replace the 686 6 shot in my bedroom ...with the 5" model 627 8 shot and a speed loader...but I'm very comfortable with the 686 6" ( its not like its a rifle with an 18" barrel clumsy )...its only 2" longer than a 4" gun...

I will carry a revolver once in a while, in an Inside Waist Band Kramer leather holster with a forward FBI tilt.../ and when I bought the N frame model 627 in 2 5/8" I did carry it a little --- and I have carried the model 28 4" once in a while.../ or one of my model 19's or 66's ( all K frames ) in 2" or 4"...and I felt very comfortable with the N frame model 627 .../ but I'm of a generation where I am not ever giving up my 1911's -- although I have retired my 5" .45 acp Wilson ..for a 5" 9mm version as the arthritis in my hands has gotten worse -- 9mm is 10 + 1 rds ..in that 5" gun but I always carry one extra mag on my belt too. ( when I carried the revolver, I had a speed strip in my pocket as well ).

Ultimately it comes down to what you are most comfortable with ...but I like the revolver approach in .357 mag for home defense.

Last edited by BigJimP; December 22, 2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old December 22, 2016, 08:25 PM   #7
357 Python

If it were me I would choose a good 4" S&W 67 in .38 Special. The reasons are simple. One is it would cost less so if it were not returned for whatever reason you are not out a great deal compared to the other two. Second since it is for home defense the muzzle blast from a .38 Special is much more manageable than a 357 Magnum. Third due to the power of a 357 Magnum you do not want a round passing through an assailant (intruder) and hurting someone else, especially someone who is outside your home. Fourth the muzzle flash from a 357 Magnum is going to be much more intense than a .38 Special. You may be temporarily blinded by the muzzle flash at night. The choice is yours but most people forget to think about these possibilities. Of course the muzzle blast, muzzle flash, and power can be eased if you load the 357s with .38 Special ammo.
Old December 22, 2016, 09:50 PM   #8
Master Blaster

The 627 4" is an excellent choice, 8 shots of .357 mag or .38 spl+P and a fast reload with the moon clips if needed. The 686 5" is also an excellent choice and I would not worry about the extra inch of barrel putting you at risk for a grab by an intruder
Old December 23, 2016, 02:13 AM   #9
gbran

2.625 inch 627 has been handy and accurate for me. About the same footprint and weight as my 1911, though a little thicker, but not a bunch.

Old December 23, 2016, 02:10 PM   #10
dgludwig

QUOTE: "...If I were in a Defensive shooting situation I would want to double tap the intruder - and then execute a speed reload ( retaining the other 4 unfired rounds in a pocket if I could )..."

I have no problem with the "double-tap" but, given the likelihood of an adrenaline pumping, low-light, close quarters situation with the possibility of more than one adversary, there's no way I'm going to open the cylinder of a revolver having four (five, if you have a 686 Plus) rounds left in it to fumble with a "speed" reload.

Before my agency transitioned to autos, we trained with revolvers and always re-holstered "hot" after reloading with a speed-loader. Training always helps but reloads with a speed-loader isn't always so speedy and that's on a range where the only pressure is "re-qualifying".

Though there are many good options, my choice for a home defense revolver is a Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus (there's no downside to having an extra round aboard, whether you need it or not). Though mine has the 4" barrel, I like the idea of a 5" one-a great compromise between "hand-ability and shoot- ability".