The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 27, 2013, 09:52 AM   #1
adamc

Pogo may have been right.. Is youtube for real ?

Last night I surfed through youtube, and watched a bunch of gun related videos.
A vast majority IMO was (understatement) trash, and IMO should be appalling
to safe & responsible firearms owners, and Fuel for the ANTIs.
The most common were no eye & ear protection, shooting
against unknown backstops & targets.
One kid shoots guns underwater in a swimming pool. Lots of videos
of mishaps caused by "morons" who have no business even touching a firearm.
Some guys ( I guess who own a gun store)..Pack a gun barrel with powder & spike the muzzle to blow it to pieces

*** ????????

and WE want to be taken seriously ?

I have my flame suit on, but I honestly can't see an argument FOR this drivel

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"

Last edited by adamc; February 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:03 AM   #2
bumnote

Whenever I want to reassure myself that human beings are truly the stupidest species of animal on the planet...I read the comments left on any YT video. Never fails to deliver.
For all the great things on the site; regardless of whether it's a gun, skateboard, car or singing video...I think it's proof we're at a genetic deadend.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:21 AM   #3
adamc

Bumnote
you are totally correct

we are the only species that has DARWIN AWARDS

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old February 27, 2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Newton24b

just because it exists, its not designed to be of much benefit.

the funniest things are on youtube.

did you know that the midwayusa stuff is junk? since when does a 38 snubnose outdo a RIFLE for self defense?

my most favorite youtube gun video comes from england. the gent decides to demonstrate a percussion revolver. hes in the country, about 30 acres of fields in all direction. yet he decides to place a pallet against a garbage can, and shoot at it. although its DIRECTLY in front of his neighbors house.
Old February 27, 2013, 07:51 PM   #5
SPEMack618

I try to stay away from YouTube. I went there to look for the video where the girl hides her LCP under her dress.

Next thing I know, I've wasted four hours watching "Wings of the Soviet Union" and am calling Pops "Comrade Electrical Engineer" with a strong desire to lob AS-4s at the USS Nimitz.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:16 AM   #6
breakingcontact

There's good stuff there too.

Hickok45 for example.
Old March 1, 2013, 01:20 AM   #7
LockedBreech

Enjoy

Hickok45
tnoutdoors9
TheYankeeMarshall
SturmGhewere (Military Arms Channel)
mrcolionoir
Oilthegun

Avoid

James Yaeger - AT ALL COSTS
FPSRussia
nutnfancy (he's actually decently knowledgeable, he just annoys me to death and comes across a little conspiracy-ish)

The above are my opinion, not intended to anger any fanbase. They have worked for me, though.
Old March 1, 2013, 01:27 AM   #8
Mal H
Staff

For the record - Pogo was right. It's been proven over and over.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:58 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The most common were no eye & ear protection, shooting
against unknown backstops & targets.
Hmm, aren't this quite a bit of the norm for self defense shootings?

Look, lack of eye and ear protection are not the concerns of the antis and if they have ever been mentioned as the concern, then it would have to be in an extremely low minority of the arguments. I know I have never seen the antis claiming that guns are bad or should not be owned because people don't wear eye and ear protection. It is the safety oriented shooters that care about eye and ear safety, not the antis.

As for unknown backstops and targets, in many cases that I have seen, your term of "unknown" is just that. As the viewer, you are only able to see what is within the immediate view of the camera. So just because something is unknown to you does not necessarily mean it is unknown to the shooter.

I have never seen any complaints that guns should be banned because somebody has fired them under water. Do you really think this is significant?

Yes, there are a lot of idiots on Youtube in EVERY category from sewing to cooking to shooting to flying aircraft. In shooting, there is plenty to complain about that would upset the antis, but eye and ear protection and shooting underwater aren't really salient issues. Negligent discharges, shooting toward other people, illegal acts, etc. would be much more salient to complain about.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Doyle

Quote:
There's good stuff there too.
+1. Larry Potterfield's gunsmithing videos for example.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:23 AM   #11
psyfly

The interweb is the great leveller. No one has to be approved or pass muster to post information on it, good, bad, indifferent.

We have to be our own editors.

Upside, no one else is choosing what we "need" to see.

Yet.

On balance, a good thing, I think...

Government (not representative, unfortunately) is beginning to catch on that it's not so hot for those in power.

I fear that the internet will be, as soon as those in power can arrange it, as well-controlled as the MSM.

I hope I'm wrong.

But; I'm not....

In the meantime, I'm willing to put up with the stupidity (it's always out there) in order to have a chance at a little truth from time to time.

W
Old March 1, 2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Sport45

Who's Pogo?
Old March 1, 2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Mal H
Staff

Pogo was a comic strip in the '50's, 60's and early 70's. It was funny and often astute and insightful.

Pogo was the originator of the saying, "We have met the enemy and he is us." That is the saying adamc was alluding to in the thread title.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Dr Big Bird PhD

Locked breech:

IraqVeteran8888 is a great channel too. Check it out.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old March 1, 2013, 11:56 PM   #15
breakingcontact

Re: Pogo may have been right.. Is youtube for real ?

LockedBreech, that's about the same as my list except I like nutnfancy. If anything he's just very wordy. I don't watch all his videos but some of them are very well done and in depth.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:13 AM   #16
Auto426

FPSRussia isn't really that bad. I would he would drop the fake Russain accent, but he shows off a lot of the crazier things you won't find anywhere else, and he does it safely and responsibly.

Hickock45 is probably the best representative for the YouTube gun channels there is. His videos are excellent and he's a big advocate for second amendment rights, usually showing up at the various rallies and such in his state to help the cause.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:31 AM   #17
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Big Bird PhD View Post
Locked breech:

IraqVeteran8888 is a great channel too. Check it out.
Actually yeah I think I've seen some good stuff on that channel
Old March 2, 2013, 04:36 PM   #18
The Baron

Hickock45 is worth watching.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:23 PM   #19
dakota.potts

I will second iraqveteran8888

If anything, the fuel should be in videos like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51CTM49rcrs

This guy fires two AK-47's on full auto (one in each hand) while on a range next to several other people and he walks backwards presumably from the recoil. Very stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51CTM49rcrs The first 3rd of this one is scary
Old March 2, 2013, 10:55 PM   #20
MB21

Quote:
Auto426: FPSRussia isn't really that bad. I would he would drop the fake Russain accent, but he shows off a lot of the crazier things you won't find anywhere else, and he does it safely and responsibly.

Hickock45 is probably the best representative for the YouTube gun channels there is. His videos are excellent and he's a big advocate for second amendment rights, usually showing up at the various rallies and such in his state to help the cause.
I admit to liking his channel a lot, but he is not safe and responsible. I believe that one of his cameramen recently died due to his lack of safety. My reason for believing is that his last video he mentioned something happened with his friend and at the end there was a "in memory of..."

In a recent video, Kyle (FPSRussia) almost got killed by a truck door after he made the truck explode about 50 feet away. He shoots without hearing protection, has swept his cameraman before, and many, many other things.

Hickock and MAC are my favorite channels for firearms videos. I hate Nutnfancy, I don't think there needs to be two hours of video to review a Mosin. And a middle aged man talking like a fourteen-year-old pre-pubescent kid doesn't help either.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:59 PM   #21
SPEMack618

FPSRussian has injured his camera man before.

However, the recent loss he spoke of was his Producer, who was murdered. Execution style. The GBI is still investigating.

Personally, I'm a fan of MAC and Mr.ColionNoir.

Strumgewher posts here often and Mr.ColionNoir just got picked up by NRA news. Good men all.

Darn it, and I continually forget her name/channel, but the young woman who talks about concealment for girls in modern dress is great too.

She's the one that finally had an idea that worked for my Big Sister and resulted in her actually coming to like her gun. And me buying up every last box of .380 in the county.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:02 AM   #22
2damnold4this

I like several of the folks already mentioned and I also like Mrgunsngear who posts as plouffedaddy here.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:17 AM   #23
TheNatureBoy

"For entertainment purposes only".
Old March 3, 2013, 08:23 AM   #24
certified106

Hickok45 is awesome! I watch his channel all the time. Sturm, colinnoir and a few others are also pretty good. With that being said there is a bunch of trash on you tube just like anywhere else on the Internet and can take some sorting to figure out what is useful!
Old March 3, 2013, 09:54 AM   #25
Darren007

Quote:
nutnfancy (he's actually decently knowledgeable, he just annoys me to death and comes across a little conspiracy-ish)
When I first came across NutnFancy's videos I didn't care for them. He seemed kind of arrogant and he is prone to rambling which I think sometiimes makes his videos a bit longer than they need to be. However, I stuck with it and watched quite a few of his videos and they grew on me. I still think some of his vids are overly long, but they are packed with some decent information.

Hickock 45 and Military Arms Channel are also great!