The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 29, 2013, 11:57 PM   #1
TennJed

Belly Band holsters for the Big Belly man

This may be a stupid question, but is a belly band holster a good option for people with big bellies? Does any of our more portly members have an experience trying them and have brands they could recommend?

At first thought it seems like a really bad idea for overweight, but being overweight also means my back will hurt from time to time. The idea of the belly holster for big people came from the fact that I have had to wear similar looking devices as a back brace for a bad back. Obviously different things for different uses, but similar enough to make me wonder

Last edited by TennJed; September 30, 2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old October 4, 2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Rob62

I used to carry in a belly band. My waist size at that time was about 40-42. (I'm back at 38). Anyway I never found it comfortable. In order not to let the band slide around, it has to be cinched down fairly tight. That's not a big deal for an hour or two if out walking. But you wear one all day for 10 - 12 hours and it can get very uncomfortable to say the least.

Right now I carry in strong side OWB belt holster, or a Kramer T-shirt holster. Very comfortable all day and about as concealed as possible. The downside is that you can not draw the gun fast with the Kramer T shirt.

After many years of carrying a handgun both professionally and personally, I have come up with two things that are right for me.

1. For deep cover use some type of a T-shirt holster.
2. If you need to be able to draw the handgun relatively fast, a strong side belt holster is the way to go.

Regards,

Rob
Old October 6, 2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Wag

I use a belly band and have no issues with it whatsoever. Some observations:

- It seems to be meant to carry IWB, not high up around the middle of the belly.

- Very adjustable. You can put the pistol exactly where you want it.

- At one point, someone said it is not comfortable in the summer and will make you sweat. I wear a t-shirt year 'round with the belly band over it. The t-shirt (heavier cotton) absorbs the majority of any sweat and I don't find it uncomfortable at all.

- Makes it easy to do your business in the bathroom. Ergo, you don't have the holster clipped to your belt and have to figure out how to deal with it in a public bathroom.

- Not very expensive. If you get one and decide you don't like it, you haven't broken the bank in the attempt compared to other holsters.

- In the vein of economical, you won't have to match it to a carry belt for even more money.

Carrying IWB is, in my opinion, the best way to carry for me. YMMV but I prefer the belly band over anything else I've used.

--Wag--