The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
M.O.A.

hand press

any one use the lee hand press
if so how do u like it ive had mine for about a year and like it very much it is slow but u can really feel what u are doing with it
Old January 31, 2011, 08:32 PM   #2
noylj

If it works for you, that is all that matters. I would not be able to handle it. It does allow you to take your press with you and it doesn't required mounting to a bench.
I like the little "Lee Reloading Press." It is so handy for so many little jobs.
Old January 31, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
M.O.A.

yah i can load just about any were and i only load 100 rounds at a time so i dont get tired of it and it all fits in one box and hides away nicely
Old January 31, 2011, 08:52 PM   #4
chris in va

I've loaded thousands through mine. Nice to just watch your favorite show while doing menial stuff like sizing and decapping.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:30 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

I started out with the Lee Hand press, but mine was not well built (poorly aligned between ram and die bores), and the frame flexed quite a bit in use.

I switched to a Huntington Compac, and it works much better, with excellent build quality (alignment, smoothness, etc.) and design/materials (very strong, straight and accurate, with virtually no flexing.) With a small disk of wood mounted to its base, it will stand up by itself on a flat surface too. It also includes a priming punch, but I recommend a hand primer tool (such as the Lee autoprime, or the RCBS Universal Hand Primer).

The LHP is great for depriming (it has a hollow ram to hold the spent primers and debris), but the Compac is better for everything else.

Andy
Old February 1, 2011, 06:03 AM   #6
warningshot

No more hand priming for me.

Hand primed for years; went to bench mounted tool, much easier and faster and more uniform product due to less hand & finger fatigue.