The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2015, 11:47 AM   #1
napout78

Beretta 1301 issues

Hey fellas. Long time reader, first time poster. Just had a quick question about the Beretta 1301. We are currently t&e'ing it for a possible swat entry weapon. I've been shooting it for the the past couple weeks with no issues at all. It would fire any type of round from birdshot to breaching to tactical loads with no issues whatsoever. Well the decision was made and we were going to purchase the weapon next week. So today I took it out for one last round of fun at the range.I loaded up with a couple of Winchester Ranger buckshot rounds. Pulled the trigger, nothing. Manually cycled to another round pulled the trigger again, nothing. I tried two other types of rounds and none of them went bang. I checked the rounds and there's no dimple on the primer. I don't know if it's a headspace issue with the bolt or what? I was just wondering if anyone had heard of anything like this or if it's just my specific weapon? Either way I'm not feeling real good about an entry weapon that wont go bang. Guess it's back to my 870 till I find out something. Any info that anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old January 27, 2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Bake

Any idea on the "Total Round Count"?

Last edited by Bake; January 28, 2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old January 27, 2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

Have you tried replicating the problem with none in the tube and only one in the chamber? I am a dumb azz who probably would have left the safety on. Here is a link to some with issues that I don't think are what you encountered, but if the opposite of what I think is often correct.
Old January 27, 2015, 02:17 PM   #4
napout78

thanks for responding guys. Since were trying it out I put it through the ringer last week. Probably about 600 rounds on Monday, another 200 on Tuesday and about 100 on Thursday. Im probably between 900 and 1000 rounds with no cleaning (just a bore brush). And yes sir, I tried it with just one in the chamber and none in the mag. Even gave it to one of my team leaders to check out and still no bang.
Old January 27, 2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Bake

When you ran a brush thru the barrel, did you pull the barrel off the receiver? If you did, maybe you will be lucky, and all you will need to do is pull and reinstall the barrel.

Did you hear the trigger group make noise, when you pulled the trigger? I once had a primer come out and drop down into the trigger group; jamming the hammer, and not allowing it to hit the firing pin. (Total silence.)

If you can hear the hammer hit the firing pin, but not hitting the primer. Maybe you can take a look at the bolt & firing pin ass'y. (Broken or dirty pin.)

Hope this helps. If it does, good, now run another 2 or 3,000 rounds thru it before going thru a door...
Old January 27, 2015, 03:15 PM   #6
napout78

Ill check on the barrel thing. I don't think I did but Im not sure. Ill also have to check on the firing pin thing. I didn't pay real close attention when it wasn't firing but Ill take it out again tomorrow and see if I can hear (or not hear) anything. Thanks again and no worries. Ill keep my 870 in action till I get at least another uninterrupted thousand downrange
Old January 27, 2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Dreaming100Straight

There is always the possibility that with a new firearm they are heavily lubed and the lubrication mixing with GSR and whatever form a nasty gunk somewhere that is causing something to hang up, but I would hope that a tactical weapon would be more reliable - which it may be after a good initial cleaning. But as many know, I don't know. Stick with that 870 until you are absolutely confident in the shiny new toy and be safe.

As for Bake's suggestion, you should be able to do those tests without live ammunition if you have snap caps. I would put a piece of tape over the center of the snap cap's brass to see if the pin hits it. It may also be easier to hear in a quiet room than on a noisy range.

Tags
beretta 1301 , tactical , tactical shotgun