The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2008, 01:14 PM   #1
GeekWithAGun

40 S&W + Magnum Primers?

I saw a review for Remington magnum small pistol primers (midwayusa.com) on Midway (if you click on reviews, it's the second one down) and it made me wonder.

First, I'm not using these exact primers, (I use Federal #100 aka non-magnum small pistol) but I was wondering how many people use a magnum primer for the 40 S&W cartridge? And could the non-magnum primers cause me any troubles?
Old October 4, 2008, 06:33 PM   #2
GeekWithAGun

I know it's a saturday night, but....anyone?

The most in-depth search result I got here was back in mid '07 and had fairly mixed results. I was hoping someone had a solid opinion one way or the other.
Old October 4, 2008, 06:55 PM   #3
zxcvbob

I use Rem 1.5's in everything, including max-loaded .357 Magnum. I bought a bunch of them a year ago for $19 per 1000, but I won't be buying them again once I use these up because they are very hard to seat in anything but RP brass.

BTW, I just examined my boxes (both the little 100-packs and the box of 1000) and they don't say anything about not using them in high-pressure cartridges.
Old October 4, 2008, 10:02 PM   #4
totalloser

I don't see why a non magnum primer should cause any trouble. My books call for a small pistol primer in .40s&w and that's what I have always used. I use CCI, however.
Old October 5, 2008, 08:14 AM   #5
DWARREN123

I have only used small pistol primers in 40 S&W. I have never seen a load that called for small pistol magnum primers in 40 S&W.
If you decide to use them go slow and easy and start at least 10% below your normal load.
Switching to a magnum primer in 40 S&W "MAY" cause some high pressure problems.
Old October 5, 2008, 08:59 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

don't be a totalloser

A more thorough understanding of primers and pressure can help.

All the data I have calls for standard primers; no assumption is needed to understand that.
Check EVERY manual; NONE specify magnum primers for any 40 S&W load.

Switching to a magnum primer may cause safety concerns.
I most highly recommend NOT using magnum primers in the 40 S&W.

That said, I have actually used the R-P magnum primer for one very specific 40 S&W load.
ONLY one.
I no longer make that load.
Old October 5, 2008, 02:00 PM   #7
tom234

Perhaps the more appropriate question should be. Why would one consider using magnum primers when only regular primers are require in .40 S&W ? The only answer I can conjure up is someone must have a stash of magnum primers and just needs a place to use them.

Last edited by tom234; October 5, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old October 5, 2008, 08:00 PM   #8
GeekWithAGun

Perfect. That's basically my thinking on it too. No load info I found shows magnum primers, so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel better now. (especially because I don't feel the need to de-prime ~500 cases!)
Old October 14, 2009, 06:13 PM   #9
qcpunk

I would like to point out that Remington does not label the 5 1/2 pistol primers as magnum. Remington has two primary types of small pistol primers, 1 1/2 and 5 1/2. Now the crappy part, 1 1/2 and 5 1/2 are ALMOST the same primers, but not quite. The best conclusion that I have arrived at is that they both have the same anvil, propellent, and size. the difference is in the THICKNESS of the cup. As I understand, a magnum primer has a hotter and/or longer burning propellent within.

I only discovered this difference after purchasing a box of 1000 1 1/2 primers, got bored sitting at home, read the box, and it stated that the 1 1/2 primers are NOT to be used in .357 Mag, .357 Sig, and .40 S&W. Apparently the heavier firing pin strike and/or higher chamber pressures can cause the 1 1/2 cups to fail, causing blow back against the boltface and firing pin.

Anyways, this has been perplexing me for quite some time and that is the best info I have aquired at this time. Please feel free to chime in if anyone has any further knowledge on the subject. Cheers!