The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 13, 2009, 01:13 PM   #1
mapwd

is this a good trade?

I am looking to trade my Glock 30SF pistol for a good shotgun to start shooting trap with. Just casual trap with the wife for now until I get better at it. I have a guy with a synthetic Remington 1100, 28" barrel supercell recoil pad and a bigger white front bead installed. Accessories would include a T&S shell catcher, skeet, skeet2, modified extended choke tubes and a full and mod flush choke tubes, magazine tube plug and a swivel sling magazine cap.
I put the value of my Glock at around $500. Would this 1100 be equal to that in value?
Old May 13, 2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Dingoboyx

Is the shottie ready to shoot trap?

In other words, apart from a vest & ammo do you have to buy anything else? or is it trap ready?

How old is the shotgun, does it fit you?

IMO, if it is ready to go, not too old (outdated) it fits you fairly well & you would rather shoot trap than your Glock, it sounds like a pretty good deal

What is the value of the shotgun, or its new equivelant?

Getting $500 for a second hand Glock is pretty good/hopefull, what is the condition/age of the Glock?
Old May 13, 2009, 01:29 PM   #3
mapwd

Glock is 4 months old with 500 rounds through it and comes with a tac light. He said the 1100 is a few years old. The pics of it look really nice aside from a few minor scratches from the shell catcher. I don't really what else I would need. I have been shooting at an amateur trap range with my wife and we both like it a lot, to the point I rarely shoot pistol anymore. for the last 2 years it has been shotguns only for the most part.
This would be a face to face trade and I have the opportunity to shoot the 1100 before trading.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:48 PM   #4
BigJimP

The value on a used 1100 is around $ 400 if its in good shape in my area.

I think you would be real lucky to get $500 for the Glock even with the light - but I will admit I'm old school / and I am not a Glock fan - but I don't think they command that much money on the used market.

I think its probably a fair trade in terms of value / and if you don't like or aren't shooting the Glock - or don't want to keep it long term .... it becomes an issue on what the value is to you vs the Remington 1100.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Dingoboyx

Sounds good

Do a bit of digging on the background of that type of shottie, talk to trap club members and get their opinion of that model/deal. It would be horrible turning up at your firs trap shoot with your new (to you) gun & all the others say "oooo yuck, one of those, they are soooooo useless" you know what I mean?

If all the feedback is good, that model gun is suitable and you test shoot it and like it, why not I reckon

As long as you wont miss your Glock once the deal is done.... But you sound like you love your trap shooting, anyway....

Just don't get stuck with a 'lemon' if that model is not very suitable/sought after

Have fun
Old May 13, 2009, 02:54 PM   #6
BigJimP

The Remington 1100 - is a good entry level shotgun - for general use.

28" barrel is a good compromise length - for Skeet, Sporting clays, some bird hunting and casual trap shooting.

In general, as you improve your fundamental skills on Trap - most shooters will transition to a heavier O/U shotgun for Trap. A common Trap gun is a
32" barrel O/U in the general weight range of 10 lbs - like a Browning Citori XT model. The Remington 1100 is about 7 lbs gross weight. Some Trap shooters will go with a break open single barrel gun - like a Browning BT-99 in a 34" barrel.

In Trap - there is less barrel movement left to right ( than Skeet or Sporting Clays ) so a heavier gun is an advantage. A heavier gun reduces recoil, etc.

But for starting out / a good Remington 1100 will let you do some shooting / give you some good experience with a gas operated semi-auto shotguns. Many of us started out with entry level guns - semiautos, pump guns, etc before we transitioned into O/U's. An 1100 is not going to get guys too excited on a Trap range / but you're not claiming to be a nationally ranked Trap shooter from the 27 yard line either.... but neither is it going to get you sneered at ( like a pump gun with an 18" barrel might ...). Its a good entry level gun.

Keep it clean and well lubed / every time you shoot it - and it will probably last you a lifetime.
Old May 13, 2009, 04:40 PM   #7
dalecooper51

I agree with the other posters and agree that the 1100 is real good all around autoloader...

The only issue I have with the 1100's is that the gas is ported up through the fore grip. I shoot lefty and regularly caught a face full of gas on both the 1100's that I've owned. I don't know if it is as bad shooting from the other side of the gun, but it was annoying enough to me that I sold them off.

There are lots of 1100's out there. They work well and parts are readily available and should be for a long time.
Old May 13, 2009, 04:59 PM   #8
BigJimP

I'm right handed Dale.. and gas bleed off in my face is a problem for me as well - which is a big reason why I like the Binelli inertia guns.

I found all the gas operated guns have the same issue - Beretta, Browning, Remington, etc - but a lot of guys don't mind it.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:52 PM   #9
oneounceload

As someone who owns a 1100, albeit in 28 gauge, and who also shoots LH, I have never had an issue with any gas blowby, shells ejecting.......if you can get 4-500 for a used Glock, then I would consider it a deal, assuming the gun works

first thing after checking it out, get yourself a few extra O-rings for the gas system....otherwise, go have some fun with it!
Old May 14, 2009, 12:50 AM   #10
olddrum1

I think that I actually would look around for an 870 or BT-99 to trade for. I feel that they are a better entry level shotgun for Trap shooting.