The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 13, 2014, 05:30 PM   #1
oldkvet

Ruger M3 vs Browning BuckMark

Trying to get some opinions. Have a chance to buy either at about same price ($300 vs $340). (Both new) Any comments ? Thanks
Old June 13, 2014, 05:35 PM   #2
g.willikers

Either one is an excellent choice.
Or you can avoid the hassle and get both.
Even with the current shortage of .22 ammo, you can't ever have too many .22s.
If you still can't decide, put up a picture of each on the wall, close your eyes and throw a dart.
Old June 13, 2014, 06:02 PM   #3
DaleA

I think the Buckmark has a reputation for being a little bit more accurate and a little bit more reliable. I don't think it's true, I just think that's the prevailing thoughts out there.

Either one will be a joy to shoot and something that if you take even a little bit of care of you'll be able to pass down to your offspring.
Old June 13, 2014, 06:34 PM   #4
stephen426

Both guns are well respected but people will prefer one over the other for their own reasons. Go and handle both guns to see how they feel in your hand. I have never been a fan of the Ruger .22 due to the weird grip angle. I know there is a 22/45 model that mimics the grip angle of a 1911.

I personally have a Browning Buckmark 5.5" Standard that I have owned for almost 20 years. I have no idea how many rounds I have shot through it, but it has gone through many bricks of ammo. The trigger is nice and crisp and the balance of the gun is very nice. The newer models have little "ears" on the slide that make cocking the gun a little easier. Breaking down the gun requires an Allen wrench and a Phillips screw driver. The top piece, which holds the rear sights, needs to be removed so the slide can come off. Unless you are using a bore snake (highly recommended), you will need to remove the barrel for cleaning. Cleaning from the front can cause damage to the crown and affect accuracy.

As for accessories and customization, there are a bunch of parts available for the Buckmark. I decided to change my standard slab-sided for the full bull barrel a few years back. I also added a top rail so that I could mount a red dot sight on it. While it makes a gun a bit front heavy, I really enjoy shooting it and find the gun to be highly accurate.

The Ruger does not require tools to disassemble or reassemble, but it isn't the easiest thing in the world either.

Not sure if this was much help, but enjoy whichever way you go!
Old June 13, 2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Rogervzv

Nothing against the Buckmark but I have never cared for it.

IMO you just cannot beat a Mark pistol for reliability, build quality, and accuracy.

I own several of these handguns and love 'em all!

Old June 13, 2014, 08:21 PM   #6
benzy2

I have both. The browning becomes pickier quicker between cleanings. I'm also not a huge fan of how the pistol disassembles, having to take the sight off. While the Ruger may get cursed for its disassembly, it's still one I can do without instruction. The triggers can both made to be better rather easily. The ability to swap barrels does favor the Browning, but I haven't done that with either setup.

Both are nice, I like the feature set of the Ruger better.
Old June 13, 2014, 10:22 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Both are excellent choices, but in my experience the Mark III is more reliable and easier to clean (no screws to remove or small parts to lose).

Both are accurate, but the Buck Mark trigger is better out of the box. However, a quick swap to a Volquartsen trigger and sear will result in a much superior trigger for the Ruger.

One the whole, my preference is the Ruger.

Last edited by Fishbed77; June 16, 2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old June 13, 2014, 10:49 PM   #8
marine6680

The trigger on the buckmark seems better out of the box than the Ruger... The Ruger has more aftermarket parts that help with the trigger pull.

If you want to keep it stock, I prefer the buckmark trigger.
Old June 13, 2014, 11:00 PM   #9
TomInLa

.22's

I own both, as well as a few others. I agree with previous posts, the buckmark does have a better trigger. To me it is more comfortable, and I shoot it better than my others. FWIW, I have Ruger MkIII std, and 22/45 styles but still prefer the buckmark in my hand.
Old June 13, 2014, 11:31 PM   #10
Sarge

Buckmark.
Old June 14, 2014, 12:45 AM   #11
gyvel

My sole experience with the Buckmark was back in the early 80s when I bought one not long after they came on the market.

While the gun functioned OK, I was not impressed with its aluminum-framed construction and the accuracy was mediocre at best, and never approached that of my Ruger Standard pistol which I had since 1966.

It's possible that early guns weren't all that great, or that I just got a lemon, but I was not at all impressed with it and have never been interested in the Buckmark since.

I personally think the Ruger is a much better choice for many reasons.
Old June 14, 2014, 01:02 AM   #12
davidsoc

i like both a lot, i went with the mkiii 22/45 and my buddy who i shoot wuth regularly got the buckmark

things i like about the ruger are:
sturdier and more reliable design
trigger can be made amazing with a drop in vq kit(2 1/4 # sweetness)
very accurate, but in my experience less so than the buckmark

things i dislike about the ruger:
takedown/field strip is a bit annoying even after the 500th time
if a barrel change is desired you must go though a ffl as it contains the sn

things i like about the browning:
very accurate
better trigger out of the box

the only thing i dislike about the browning is that the half slide design has led to quite a few fte's in my personal experience

both great pistols that you cant go wrong with
Old June 14, 2014, 05:52 AM   #13
wojtekimbier

They are both so great that it's hard (or impossible) to choose one over the other based on other people's opinions. Try to handle both and find which one you prefer. It all comes down to what are your personal likes and dislikes.
Old June 14, 2014, 09:03 AM   #14
oldkvet

BuckMark vs MIII

Thanks to all of you, you're all very generous with your experience.

I clean any gun I shoot immediately after. Old habit never broken. It seems both guns require a little effort to break down for cleaning. I was hoping for it to be an easy task since I have invented new curses when field stripping my Bersa 380.

When I hefted the MIII in the store (new), the (factory ?) grips were too thin.
This gun definitely needs new grips for me. Another cost!

Don't want to invest too much $$ - kids are too leery of guns, and until they give me permission to introduce guns to my grandchildren, I'm stuck!

Anyway, thanks again !

oldkvet
Old June 14, 2014, 11:39 AM   #15
g.willikers

Of course you are leaving out the much revered S&W series of rimfire pistols.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757751_image
Now you need three.
Old June 16, 2014, 04:11 PM   #16
oldkvet

ruger M3 vs Buck Mark

Ok guys ( and Ladies) here the Result.

Just got back from LGS, and they had the weapon I was most interested in !

Not only did I buy a Mark 3 Target, they had one used : $250 instead of $350 new. Will shoot tomorrow and post my thoughts ( if anyone's interested).

Bought 2 boxes of different ammo. and will report back.

Just for laughs, tried to field strip and couldn't get past the 2nd step. Will have to try again.

Thanks for your help, Oldkvet
Old June 16, 2014, 05:30 PM   #17
dayman

As long as your shooting non corrosive ammo (kind of a non-issue for .22), and it's still working reliably, there's no reason to disassemble (not really "field" stripping for a Mk.iii) it all that often.

I give mind s full cleaning a few times a year, or when I finish a brick of .22 - whichever comes first.
I clean the bore and clean and visible gunk after I shoot, but leave the internals alone.

I've never had any issues.
Old June 16, 2014, 06:34 PM   #18
bedbugbilly

My only experience is with the Ruger MKIII - I have the "Target Model" with the bull barrel. It eats whatever I feed it and is very accurate - a great semi-auto 22.

I considered a Buckmark when I was looking and it was more of a case of which I could find. I ran across the Ruger and I've been very happy with it. I know a lot of folks like the Buckmarks and I have never really heard any complaints on them. Either would be good in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find 22 ammo and what I do find is so overpriced I won't pay it. I can re-load and shoot my 38 spls. for way less. It's too bad that things haven't really straightened out on the 22 ammo as I'd love to be able to shoot the MKIII on a regular basis. For now, I'm "rationing" what 22 ammo I do have.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 16, 2014, 06:47 PM   #19
Pahoo

There is always one better !!!

I'm always reluctant to reply to posts about "This VS That". I don't like stepping of people's yoes nor any thread that turns into a pitting contest. So, right off I will state that the best, is the Smith-41 even though you didn't ask. I will add that I no longer own a Buckmark or MK-22/45. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 16, 2014, 08:22 PM   #20
gyvel

Quote:
Just for laughs, tried to field strip and couldn't get past the 2nd step. Will have to try again.
There is a company that sells a substitute inert part to replace the magazine disconnector. I replaced the disconnector on my son's gun and, not only did the magazine come out much easier, the disassembly/reassembly was much less stressful.
Old June 17, 2014, 07:42 AM   #21
railroader

Quote:
There is a company that sells a substitute inert part to replace the magazine disconnector. I replaced the disconnector on my son's gun and, not only did the magazine come out much easier, the disassembly/reassembly was much less stressful.
Here you go,

http://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Rug...shing_p_9.html
Old June 17, 2014, 08:10 AM   #22
Sarge

I agree with those who have mentioned the S&W 41. Shooting a 41 will just about ruin you for garden-variety .22 pistols.
Old June 17, 2014, 10:02 AM   #23
Quentin2

Quote:
Ok guys ( and Ladies) here the Result.

Just got back from LGS, and they had the weapon I was most interested in !

Not only did I buy a Mark 3 Target, they had one used : $250 instead of $350 new. Will shoot tomorrow and post my thoughts ( if anyone's interested).

Bought 2 boxes of different ammo. and will report back.

Thanks for your help, Oldkvet
Good find! And a great price. I like the Rugers, too. I still have my old Mark I Target plus a Mark II and Mark III. Since I've had a Ruger all the way back to the mid-1970s, disassembly/assembly isn't a big deal - even the trickier MIII. But it is a challenge for a new owner. There are plenty of YouTube videos that will help out, even Ruger has them.

By the way, I got my Mark III in 2006 and its older manual gave incorrect instructions for breakdown/assembly. They have of course corrected it but if you have the old manual get a new one or print out the proper instructions. Basically the problem is you must insert a magazine before one step but they forgot to add that.
Old June 17, 2014, 04:03 PM   #24
oldkvet

mark 3

Went out today and shot two different brands. federal American Eagle & Remington Yellow jacket. No single problem with either and the accuracy made me look like Annie Oakley, (skirt & all).

Salesman had suggested the copper jacket would keep gun cleaner. Didn't fire enough to tell.

Now for the laughs. Broke gun down but did not reassemble it correctly. Had to go back to LGS for help. This was after reading user manual and 3 hours of videos (Ruger & utube). Thought it interesting Ruger stressed the point that the Mark 3 did Not require field stripping to clean every time it was fired.

Good Shooting,

oldkvet
Old June 17, 2014, 06:23 PM   #25
DaleA

Unless someone used it to pound nails a used .22 would suit me just fine and I'd happily spend the savings on ammo, sights, grips etc.

Glad you found one you liked.

There's videos on Youtube and *Lots* of folk will tell you there is no real problem with taking a Ruger Mark whatever apart and putting it back together...but I'm NOT one of them.

Congratulations