The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 18, 2006, 09:18 PM   #1
ajeaton

Savage 110 7mm MAG

Handguns have always been my thing. However, I acquired a Savage 110 7mm mag from a friend for about $200. I have read some about the gun itself, but I know diddly squat about rifles. How do I know if it has an Accutrigger or whatever its called. I would like to know how old it is. It LOOKS almost brand new. Its black with a stainless steel bolt. It has a Simmons 3-9x32 scope. I looked around and it seems that those are designed for rimfire rifles. Should I get a different scope for it and if so what kind? I have found out that this caliber is rather powerful, so what could I hunt with it? My friend told me its a good gun and that was a fair price. I have known him for years so I trust what he tells me. Any and all information about this rifle would be well appreciated. Thanks.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:40 PM   #2
youp

It sounds like a very fair price. The Accutrigger has an additional 'trigger' that sticks out from the main trigger. Some Savages had very poor triggers, most Savages are very accurate for their price range. The 7 mm mag will handle about anything you want, with proper bullet selection. I prefer Leupold scopes to all other.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:55 PM   #3
RicMic

That is a pretty good deal. Put an entry level 3x9-40 by Burris, Leupold, Nikon, or Pentax on, and shoot big or small things, near or far - yeah it's that versatile! And it's not a hard kicker. You'll love it.
Old January 19, 2006, 04:58 AM   #4
Reyn

If your new to rifles watch the recoil. It could lead to flinching.
Old January 19, 2006, 09:49 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

I've got that same rifle. $200 is a good deal for a pre-accu-trigger one, and a screamin deal for an accu-trigger rifle. You'll know if it has it - it's a very distinctive piece of silver aluminum that 'slices through' the middle of the trigger itself. It's adjustable, and very nice if adjusted right.

Yes, it's a pretty darn powerful rifle (it is indeed a 'magnum'). It's an extremely popular round. Recoil is quite stout, but not brutal. It is sufficient for any game in North America, IMO, except perhaps large brown bears or polar bears. It's really overkill for whitetails, mulies, & antelope, but it will definitely work, and a lot of people use it for that. It's just about perfect, with proper bullets, for elk, caribou, black bear, & wild boar. Use 175 gr premium ammo/bullets for the latter, and 150s or 160 for deer, maybe even lighter. Good round, overall, and with it's high velocity, you can get a good long point blank range workin. Personally, if I was gonna use it for deer (and I don't), I'd buy reload dies and load up some reduced loads for it. Good luck!

PS. Scope selection is a whole can of worms, but generallly speaking, since this rifle has a lot of recoil, a cheap brand or cheap line within a brand may very possibly break on you after a number of shots, so you're going to want to go with a decent line of scope. With scopes, you generall get what you pay for, so I'd look for a scope that runs $150-$250 minimum, new. So that you don't get a case or two of 'scope-eye', I recommend a 2-7 power scope, usually set on 2. This gives you enough eye relief to keep from getting smacked. Also, on the scope itself, getting one with a rubber ring around the ocular piece is preferable to one with just metal, on a big boomer like that. These days, almost all scopes have such a ring.
Old January 19, 2006, 10:12 PM   #6
Twycross

This is an accutrigger:

As others have said, you got a good deal. I also recommend replacing the scope, but you don't have to. If you do, I'd go with at least 3.5" of eye relief. My 7mm WSM used to wear the same Simmons that you have, or one very like it, and it does not have enough eye relief, IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AccuTrigger.jpg (16.4 KB, 181 views)
Old January 20, 2006, 07:07 PM   #7
bergie

That is a very good price price for a rifle in like new condition. The Simmons scope is junk, but it is probably what was on the rifle when your buddy bought it as a "package". A Simmons was on my .270 when I bought it 15 years ago. Didn't hold up worth a darn, actually it did last a few years but when I started reloading and then shooting more it came apart quite quickly. Sent it in for warranty replacement, next one lasted a few months, sent it in. When I got the 3rd one I said to heck with it and put it on a .22. Bought a Sightron SII, great scope.

bergie
Old January 20, 2006, 09:19 PM   #8
BusGunner007

Sounds like a good deal.
Does it look anything like the one in this link?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=42700313

As for the scope, you might look into a fixed-power 6X42 scope from either NIKON or Leupold.
They're both great scopes.
The NIKON will cost a little less and have a bit less eye-relief at 3.6" or so.
The Leupold will be a bit more in $$$ and 4.5" of eye-relief.

Several mounts could be chosen, but the matte black finished 1-pc. windage adjustable base and medium-height rings by Redfield, Leupold, Millett, or Burris would be my choices, in that order.

GOOD LUCK!
Old January 21, 2006, 12:00 AM   #9
bigautomatic

I have the same gun in 30-06, with the same scope. I have put over 200 rounds down the pipe with no problems with the rifle or the "cheap" scope, and it kicks like a mule with bionic legs. Dollar for dollar, not sure you could find a more accurate rifle. My opinion is a little biased of course.
Old January 21, 2006, 12:19 AM   #10
impact

I had the same gun. Mine shot real well with the Remington Premier Ballistic tips in 150gr bullets. I sold the gun because of the RECOIL! 40 round was all I could handle. But the gun was a good shooter. yah change the scope. Drop $200 on a good 3x9 and you will have a good gun. Because of the recoil and where I hunt I don't see the need for a 7 mag. I bought my gun for $135 from a pawn shop guy and later sold it for $155 to another pawn shop guy . If the gun had other than a plastic stock I may have keeped the gun. There is one thing I can't say about the gun. Is that is was not accurate.
Old January 21, 2006, 03:26 PM   #11
ajeaton

thats it

Bus Gunner, that is it exactly. Thanks for all the advice guys!