The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 8, 2005, 11:39 AM   #1
UT_Air_Assault

Investment Machine Gun Advice?

Hey folks, I just inherited a fairly good sum of money and am considering investing some of it in a machine gun. What advise can ya'll offer about how much Machine Gun prices should rise. Also, any advise on what type of weapon to purchase for around $6,000 that will probably be the best investment? Thanks!
Old April 8, 2005, 12:06 PM   #2
WillBrayjr

Well $7,000.00 should be enough to get you a "real" Uzi subgun, not an aftermarket model. If I had that much to spend I would be getting one of Paul Piper's bb gatling guns
Old April 8, 2005, 01:02 PM   #3
shaggy

For $6k, if you look hard, you should be able to find an IMI Uzi conversion. They work just as well as the Vector models, even though they're conversions. I had a Flemming converted IMI for almost 10 years and it ran like a Swiss watch. There are some differences between the conversions and the Group/Vector guns, but they are minor and can be worked around (mainly the barrel restrictor ring in the conversions).

However, if you can save up a little more cash, I'd wait and try to get a Lightning Link ($7000-7500 currently). This device works in your AR15 to convert it to full auto. It can also be used with a modified bolt in 9mm. Later this year when the LM-7 .22 beltfed upper comes out, you should be able to use that too.

If you're just looking for a pure investment, try to find a few SWD M11's for under $2300. Get them to a friendly SOT on form3's and wait 'till the price gets high enough you want to sell.

An ACC556 would also be a good move IF you can find one under $5600-5800. If M16 prices jump again this summer because of the LM-7, ACC's won't be too far behind.

In past years, appreciation on MG's has been 10-20% but the trend is definitely slowing as more and more potential buyers are priced out of the market. They'll still go up, but as they get more and more expensive, the rate of appreciation will slow even more.
Old April 8, 2005, 01:27 PM   #4
boofus

You could try to find a C&R Smith & Wesson model 76. You might still be able to find one for around $6000. The C&R guns tend to go up in value more than the regular MGs.

In some states, C&R MGs are the only ones allowed. So ppl that live in those states and have deep pockets will pay a pretty penny for C&R transferables.
Old April 8, 2005, 10:12 PM   #5
RFly2Dive

I have talked to several people on this subject within the past 2-3 months...some were/are Class III dealers one is a manufacturer...EVERYONE said "spend the extra money and get a REAL Colt M16." Their prices have kept up or exceeded every other make on the market...BUT it will cost about twice what you have...13-15000.00
Mark my words it will be worth the pain right now to put up with the squeeze...As one of them said to me -- No matter how much time/effort/expense somebody puts in a Ford Cobra look-a-like the original will ALWAYS cost and appreciate more...
No matter what you decide on--Get an ORIGINAL...for the money if you could not spend an extra dime I would consider a Ruger AC...You still get factory support/repairs too if needed
Just my 2 cents--
r
Old April 8, 2005, 10:18 PM   #6
RFly2Dive

If you are not familiar with the Ruger AC556 here is a link to one for sale today...It is not mine and I do not know the person offering it...just thought you would like to see it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=264820

r
Old April 8, 2005, 10:23 PM   #7
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
EVERYONE said "spend the extra money and get a REAL Colt M16."
Good advice. Mine now sells for 8X what I paid for it.

Just remember one thing, a single change in the law will knock most machineguns back to selling for hundreds of dollars instead of thousands. It may not seem likely now, but in 10-15 years, it is possible.

NRA Life Member
Old April 9, 2005, 06:17 AM   #8
RFly2Dive

I am not so sure...I bet most of the people on this forum wished they never sold some of their guns...I had a H&K SP89 that I bought for 850.00, a semi automatic 9mm Mac10 RPB that fired from an open bolt that I paid 350.00 for, a brand new German Walther PPK in .380 that I bought in 1975 for 225.00, pre-ban Colt AR-15 wih collapsible stock that I paid 600.00 for, etc...etc...

I think if you buy things that interest you...and they are original they go up in value at a faster rate than knock-offs...

I can't believe the value of the guns I sold at todays prices...I thought I did well when I sold them several years ago...at least I replaced my Colt Junior in .25 cal that I bought for 75.00....then sold it for 100.00...and now 2 months ago found a nice example that I paid 200.00 for....

enjoy the hunt!!!
Old April 9, 2005, 01:10 PM   #9
MeekAndMild

If and when I invest any more money in class III it will be buying a naked DIAS, which I will then wrap in its form 4 and put in a little box out of the way in the back of my bank drawer. I think that DIAS prices will always go up until they change the law. IMHO this is the best way to invest without having to worry about upkeep.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old April 10, 2005, 08:29 AM   #10
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am not so sure...I bet most of the people on this forum wished they never sold some of their guns... {snip}... pre-ban Colt AR-15 wih collapsible stock that I paid 600.00 for, etc...etc...
There's a perfect example right there.

You paid $600 for a shorty Colt.

A stroke of a legislator's pen made it a $1,600 shorty Colt.

Ten years later, another legislative pen stroke made it a $900 shorty Colt.

Pinning the retirement funds on guns that are only rare & collectable due to legislative fiat is probably not the wisest of moves, at least over the long term. What would happen to the value of M16s if they opened the registry again? What about if they passed a law making Title II buzzguns effectively non-transferrable by their current owners? If you'd just sunk the kid's college fund or your retirement dough into an MG-42 w/AA tripod, you'd be well and truly screwed.

Look at them as expensive toys, not blue chip stock portfolios, and you'll probably be better off: If you can't afford to drop several grand on a toy, don't put your fiscal future in jeopardy to buy one.
Old April 11, 2005, 06:52 AM   #11
RFly2Dive

I know I am a newbie here but I must make 2 points and I am not trying to be a 'smartie.'
1st-- this thread began with someone coming into an inheritance from which he wanted to take 'some' of the money and get advice as to what he should buy to get the best value...he never said he was risking the kids college funds..check out the original post...
2nd-- I think if you tried to get back my preban original Colt AR-15 Carbine with forward bolt assist it still will cost more than 1200.00....check out the prices for 6920 models even today...But no matter what happens there is no way the machine gun mfg. floodgates will reopen in our lifetime...revisiting that issue would be political suicide for whoever went down that path...I think there was a whole thread devoteed to that very issue and, I may be wrong, but think Shaggy made a good arguement as to why the present mfg. ban will not be lifted...
Old April 11, 2005, 10:11 AM   #12
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
2nd-- I think if you tried to get back my preban original Colt AR-15 Carbine with forward bolt assist it still will cost more than 1200.00....check out the prices for 6920 models even today
Just sold a cherry example two days ago for nine bills, and it was in 7.62x39mm, to boot. (...and it took over a month to sell, even at that price. )

Quote:
But no matter what happens there is no way the machine gun mfg. floodgates will reopen in our lifetime...
True. A far more likely risk to the investment is that all transfers will be closed, leaving your "investment" as money down the hole.

Bottom Line: Buy the buzzgun for fun, and accept any appreciation as a happy side effect.
Old April 11, 2005, 02:43 PM   #13
shaggy

RFly2Dive

The one thing I have to disagree with you on is buying originals. Not that buying original MGs like Colt M16's is a bad idea, but I don't think they hold their value or appreciate any faster than any other machinegun just because they are original. Original MGs certinly DO command a premium over similar conversions, but original factory MGs also cost significantly more than a similar conversion to buy in the first place. The return on your investment is a more appropriate measure and when you consider the higher cost of entry, the higher sales value on originals is only to be expected to produce the same ROI.
Old April 17, 2005, 01:25 PM   #14
Bennett Richards

mg INVESTMENT

I would buy an original MG42 or STG 44. Not beiing made anymore and of great historical value.

R
Old April 17, 2005, 01:54 PM   #15
shaggy

Bennett - I bought an original C&R '42 last year and while it seems like it would be a great investment, it may not really pan out like that. I'm sure it'll appreciate nicely and I'm quite happy with my decision, but at the price level they go for, the pool of potential buyers is VERY limited. Currently you'd be looking at about $35,000-40,000 for one; there's not a whole lot of people who can (or will) come up with that kind of cash for a single gun.
Old April 17, 2005, 04:55 PM   #16
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
Well, as Craig Wheatley of tactical innovations told me...

Its only an investment if you buy TWO.
C-
Old April 18, 2005, 09:07 AM   #17
MicroBalrog

Quote:
Just remember one thing, a single change in the law will knock most machineguns back to selling for hundreds of dollars instead of thousands. It may not seem likely now, but in 10-15 years, it is possible.
I agree with everything Tamara and HKMP5SD said... but look at my sig line. It could be way less than 10-15 years. I personally expect that by the time I get my BA - in three years - and move into the US, 922[o] will be a piece of sad legislative history.
Old April 18, 2005, 12:06 PM   #18
Third_Rail

I hope you're right.
Old April 18, 2005, 04:36 PM   #19
MicroBalrog

Don't just hope. Do something!

*points to the link in his signature line*
Old April 18, 2005, 09:15 PM   #20
boofus

If they ban transfer of MGs then any guns in private hands become PRICELESS. That is no amount of money can buy one. Donald Trump wants a MG? too bad. So those people that have them would have made a good investment.

The other thing that might happen is the government decides to go on a confiscation spree without compensating the owner of the legally owned MGs. I suspect there will be much violence and bloodshed in that scenario. When the value of the MGs are $3000-$50000 and the grabbers want to just steal them, you can bet some MG owners will use the 2nd Amendment for its original purpose.
Old April 19, 2005, 12:40 AM   #21
MicroBalrog

Likely, boofus, that they will do something like what the Israeli government is doing to the settlers - declare a compensation price 4 times market value, shut everybody up with it. It will take some time and money, but it will work, withoutt getting any of their own shot.

Instead of worrying out that, we should go on the offensive and repeal 922(o). If there's a costantly growing group of MG owners, they'll be hard to ban.