The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 23, 2016, 02:15 AM   #1
TruthTellers

LCP Custom discontinued. Need advice on replacement.

I had my heart set on an LCP Custom, I like the sights more than any other .380 pocket pistol, the trigger being lighter than most, yet not too light. Ruger discontinued it after they announced the LCP II so unless I overpay on GB, I'm not getting one and need some input on other pocket guns I'm thinking about.

First is the Kel Tec P32. Yeah, it's not a .380, but it is very small and I like that it has extended magazines that make the grip longer. I don't like the sights and I'm sure the trigger is not very good.

The other pocket gun I'm considering is the Kahr CW380.

What thoughts do you have on these other guns? I'm not interested in the Taurus TCP or Kel Tec's P3AT or anything over $350.

UPDATE: By a pure bit of serendipity, I found a LCP Custom on gunbroker for a very reasonable price. As such, I am no longer looking for a replacement. I was seriously considering the CW380, but Kahr's 200 round break in isn't exactly something I want to bother with. A gun should be 100% out of the box.

Last edited by TruthTellers; October 27, 2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old October 23, 2016, 09:14 AM   #2
railroader

You can still get the custom for $239 plus shipping from CDNN investments. I have one and I think it is worth it at the higher price. Just think when they came out about a year ago they were going for around $300.
Old October 23, 2016, 10:30 AM   #3
K_Mac

I would buy the custom. A few extra dollars for exactly what you want is not a bad thing.
Old October 23, 2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Cheapshooter

Why not the Kel-Tec P3AT if you are looking for something closer to the original LCP. After all, it is the original LCP!
Don't get all hung up on sights on a handgun that isn't really designed for shooting with sights in the first place. They aren't Bullseye competition guns, or hunting guns. They are srlf defense pocket pistols where instinct point and shoot is much more important than slowly aimed target shooting.
I consistantly make center mass double taps on a B-27 target @10 yards without even noticing the sights on my box stock Elsie Pea.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 23, 2016, 06:45 PM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
Cheapshooter Why not the Kel-Tec P3AT if you are looking for something closer to the original LCP.
Maybe because any flavor of Ruger LCP is still light years ahead of the P3at.

Hold one of each and 99% of buyers get the LCP.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 23, 2016, 10:08 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Well, I don't have exactly both. An early dash S/N LCP, and a Kel-Tec P32. I can't say there is "light years" of difference. Maybe 15 minutes of fame.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 24, 2016, 12:50 AM   #7
TruthTellers

What dogtown Tom said, the LCP is the Arnold Schwarzenegger to the P3AT's Danny Devito.

So, having said that people probably wondering why I'm considering the P32. It's simply due to size, weight, and factory 10 round mags that allow a full 3 finger grip. Tho, unless it's got a great trigger and is really reliable, I don't see how it's worth $250. At that cost, I'd be better off paying the higher price for the LCP Custom or the CW380.
Old October 25, 2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Bart Noir

The LCP Custom is my pocket gun, carried everyplace but at my job. And I am replacing it with the LCP II which has just come out. I bought the first one which my favorite gun shop obtained. I've already compared them at the range and will write up my thoughts someday soon. So I suggest considering the LCP II.

I believe that the .32 KelTec is the same gun as the P3AT, just in a smaller caliber. If I am wrong, please let me know. I'm not so proud that I get upset by informed corrections.

You have not mentioned the S&W .380 Bodyguard. This can be had with a built-in laser, or without. The one I bought was without the laser and it was under $300 a few years ago. Definitely a better gun (especial sights and trigger) than the KelTec and it locks the slide open on an empty magazine. So I replaced the KelTec with the S&W. Early this year I replaced the S&W with the LCP Custom due to the even better trigger pull.

And now the only thing keeping me from carrying the LCP II is the lack of a spare magazine.

Bart Noir
Old October 25, 2016, 05:48 PM   #9
DaleA

Quote:
is the lack of a spare magazine.
I was told the original LCP magazines worked with the LCP II...thanks for the heads up...they do work but they won't activate the 'hold open' option on the LCP II.
Old October 25, 2016, 09:13 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

The LCP is simply a bigger, heavier, slicker finished version of the P3AT.
And it says "Ruger" on the slide. All that means a lot to some people.
To others, the slightly smaller and lighter P3AT is more desireable.

The P32 is a scaled-down version of the P3AT (acually, it's the other way around-P32 was first.)
Old October 25, 2016, 11:47 PM   #11
turtlehead

I like what I've seen of the LCP II. And I don't even like Rugers.
Old October 26, 2016, 01:42 AM   #12
TruthTellers

Well fellas, I done got myself an LCP Custom. After all is said and done, I'll be walking away with it after exchanging it for two Ben's and a Grant.

With these discontinued, I can probably sit on it for 6 months and sell it for $300, maybe 400 if it's panic buy tax refund money season.
Old October 26, 2016, 09:43 AM   #13
RECTIFIER

You might think about the Kahr Ct380, I bought mine about a year ago. I have had several range sessions with it and it has never failed in any way, with all sorts of ammo, including gs reloads.

It's just the right size as I can get three fingers on the grip, it's right in between the LCP and Glock 42....more capacity than either as well.(7+1)

Value wise at ~$330 I think it's a great little gun. Here it is compared to my Ruger LC9S...also a great little pocket auto.

Old October 26, 2016, 11:03 AM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I like the sights more than any other .380 pocket pistol
Interesting characteristic to list first on a micro 380 carry pistol.
I like to shoot my carry gun at the longest ranges available at range, but I still don't worry much about the sights. Sights are also pretty easy to change on some of those pistols.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that it is interesting. Whatever works for you is right.
Old October 26, 2016, 12:58 PM   #15
TruthTellers

Quote:
Interesting characteristic to list first on a micro 380 carry pistol.
I like to shoot my carry gun at the longest ranges available at range, but I still don't worry much about the sights. Sights are also pretty easy to change on some of those pistols.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that it is interesting. Whatever works for you is right.
It sounds strange, but so many of the micro .380's have next to no sights, as if the manufacturers either don't believe that the guns can shoot further than 5 yards or they don't think people will be shooting them further than 5 yards. Most of those .380's have fixed sights and I don't like that either because now I'm also not able to replace the sights with night sights for better low light shooting if I had to defend myself in a nightclub or a movie theater.

The LCP Custom's sights are the best I've ever seen on a .380 pocket gun and it's not just the sights, the total package of the LCP Custom is very appealing as it appears to have a better trigger than even the LCP II.

Not to mention, the price is lower.
Old October 26, 2016, 04:54 PM   #16
peggysue

Kel Tec P32
Old October 27, 2016, 07:31 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Most of those .380's have fixed sights.
Quite a few of them don't. The Kahr and Ruger pictured above. Glock 42, Sig 238. The less expensive one like KT are fixed I believe, but most of the mid or higher tier guns have dovetails.

Tags
.32 , .380 , pocket guns