The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Dan D

1911 barrel bushing movement

My springfield milsoec has quite a bit of back and forth movement, I can get a fingernail inbetween the bushing and front of the slide.is that too much?
Old October 2, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2
tipoc

How does it shoot?

tipoc
Old October 2, 2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I second it, how does it shoot?

Pictures would be helpful though so we can see it.
Old October 3, 2012, 12:53 AM   #4
Dan D

How does it shoot? Let's say I've seen buckshot pattern better out of a rifled barrel. Seriously, I can't keep rounds on a pie plate at 7 yrds. Im trying to post pics but im not sure how to do so on my phone, I have no computer at the moment. Ill get a feeler gauge to it tomorrow so I can get an actual measurement.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Despite the gap, does the bushing lock up tight?

Once you get pictures, it also might be worth a call to Springfield. They have great customer service and if there is a problem, they will certainly look at it and fix it.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
drail

Fore and aft movement isn't going to have much effect of accuracy and it's very common on production guns. Does the bushing move or tilt up or down? Left or right? Does the rear of the barrel lock tight? Push down hard on the rear of the barrel while it's in battery, does it move down any? You should not have any wiggle on either end of the barrel when it is in battery. For accuracy (assuming the barrel is good) the barrel has to lock up snugly in the same exact place every time. Most Springfields right out of the box and bolted into a Ransom Rest will shoot very nice groups. And most of them will shoot very tight groups with only a match bushing fitted to them. See if the sights are tight and solid. The only other problem would be the ammo.

Last edited by drail; October 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old October 3, 2012, 03:17 PM   #7
tipoc

Dan D.,

It's always useful to provide as much info as you can when you post something like this. The more relevant info the easier it is to help. Your original post...

Quote:
My springfield milsoec has quite a bit of back and forth movement, I can get a fingernail inbetween the bushing and front of the slide.is that too much?

doesn't tell us all that much. The complaint could be over a cosmetic problem, meaning you don't like how it looks. Or you could of been wondering about the fit and curious about what is normal.

From your later post it seems the problem is that the gun is inaccurate and you are wondering if the bushing could be a problem. Ther could be some misfitted parts. It does happen from time to time.

Is the gun new and bought by you?

Is it used?

Are you new to 1911s?

Can you take it back to the store and have them look at it?

Have you tried different store bought ammo?

Has another shooter other than you shot the gun? What did they think?

tipoc
Old October 4, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Dan D

I bought it new. Not my first 1911, this is the only one I've had that has this much play. I called springfield and they said it don't sound normal and send it in.