The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 17, 2011, 06:45 PM   #1
rigby06

Looking to see if a Browning T-Series saw any action?

I have on Layaway a T-Series Browning High-power, serial number T145xxx, I just have a feeling that this gun might have seen action or been carried in Vietnam. I have no evidence of this, just a feeling, is there a way someone can check this out. Also if you need the full serial number I have no problem in that, just Private Message me, thanks for checking.
Old June 18, 2011, 02:30 PM   #2
RJay

There were Browning High Powers in Viet Nam, The only ones who could get them were the Snake Eaters and Spooks, they were not available for issue ( through the pipe line ) for the average GI. There is no way to determine if a specific weapon was used or carried in that conflict.

Last edited by RJay; June 18, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old June 18, 2011, 03:50 PM   #3
rigby06

disappointing but thanks for checking.
Old June 23, 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
gyvel

I've only seen one Hi-Power that I knew for sure had seen service in Vietnam as I personally knew the owner and the gun's history. It was a private purchase that he carried, and he had it Teflon coated. He was a regular infantry man, though.
Old June 24, 2011, 11:20 AM   #5
rigby06

a history update

I had a friend run the serial number, according to what was discovered thus far, my Browning High-Power's first owner was the British Military in 1968, this is not to say it was manufactured in 1968, just when it was first sold too. So the likely hood of it seeing action has just gone up a notch.

Also this T-Series is no longer in Gun Jail, I picked it up Monday.

Last edited by rigby06; June 24, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old June 24, 2011, 07:22 PM   #6
RJay

Well, there were a very small number of British troops in Viet Nam, I don't think more than a dozen at a time, acting as advisers to the Down Under troops. Check your High Power, if it doesn't have the Broad Arrow or British Markings , it wasn't British army. There were High Powers in Nam, I had one ( Traded from the Special Forces ), and some were brought back ( mine wasn't ). But I don't know of any way to ascertain if any particular gun was used in that Tropical paradise.