The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2004, 11:56 AM   #1
Bob Thompson

Surplus and best value powder

For all the "old timers" that reload and all the new powders that are available. I remember some very good war surplus powders that were dirt cheep and kept me shooting through the rough years. Is there any of this left and if not what do you think is some of the best value in reloading powders right now? I personally love some of the new powders for cleanliness and power factor but most are very expensive. Whats your favorites? Cost? Reason? I have found much info in the archives but would like up to date info also. Thanks much,Bob
Old November 18, 2004, 06:31 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Yeah, there is still surplus. I get mine from www.gibrass.com and www.patsreloading.com .The real deals are mostly on pistol and very fast rifle powder. Anything that will work in a Garand tends to be priced high. Price goes down again for very slow ball powders.

There are clones of AA-2, AA-5, AA-7 and AA-9 available. These cover the pistol and pistol caliber carbine spectrum for me. Current WC-820 is AA-9 speed and NOT the H-110 speed advertised. WC-820(f) is a faster lot of the same stuff and has exactly corresponded to HS-7 for me. It's a far better choice than the thick disk sub for AA-7. My batch of of WC 846 is H 335 speed and NOT the advertised BL(C)-2 speed. The .50 BMG spotter powder being sold very cheaply is also very touchy. It will work, but only in a narrow pressure range. I use it where the charge I would use of IMR 4320 is a full, but not compressed, charge for the WC 7???.

Probably the best deal going is WC 680. There is data available as AA 1680 and it's fairly close to the obsolete WW 680. Works very well for me on .25-20 and 7.62x39. Should work great in any of the small case rifle cartridges. Braver souls than I sub it for 4198 for a wide range of cast bullet work.

Main thing to watch for in pricing is the hazmat charge. Gibrass eats the hazmat on a six jug case. That $20 surcharge will eat your savings up on one and two jug orders but is not too bad spread across six jugs if the place you order from does not offer the same deal.
Old November 26, 2004, 10:44 AM   #3
Colduglandon

how about Wideners

http://www.wideners.com/cart.asp?Act...s&item=SMP4895