The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
johnmcgowan

HELP,..Whats wrong with this Win. model 1300 pump?

I need some help please,.....I have a buddy who has a Win model 1300 pump 12 ga thats chambered for both 2 and 3/4 and 3 inch shells that has a problem. The gun had been sitting its case for quite a while and rusted up some, so I took it down for him and cleaned it best I could, but still some rust spots remain on the barrel.
The rcvr and all intenal parts are now cleaned and oiled properly.
The 'big' problem is that when the gun is fired, if you do not hold onto the forearm as if you were ejecting the shell for the next round but just fire the gun as if you were firing from the hip one handed, the gun will fire the round but the pump/forearm then travels all the way back on its on as the shell ejects. Its as if the ejector/extractor does not lock when its fired.
What part would I need to fix this problem please?

If I am just operating the gun and pump it normally once its fired, it seems to work ok and will eject the shell and load the next round in line. I just dont like the notion of the thing blowing back on its on and not locking, know what I mean?
Thanks for any help.
John
Old January 30, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2
dwaawd

I have 1300's. What you describe is normal operation. It's supposed to open under recoil. As long as the action is closed tight, until you pull the trigger, it's fine.

Make sure the s/g is unloaded then rack it and close the bolt forward. Without pulling the trigger try to rack the slide back. If it will not come back it's fine. Pull the trigger or push the release and you'll see that it will now open. If it opens without pulling the trigger or pushing the release, then you do have a problem. That's why 1300 Winchester's are called Speed Pump's.

Last edited by dwaawd; January 30, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:48 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is locked when it fires. If it weren't, believe me, you would know it!

It is unlocking and opening under recoil and many pumps do. I am not knowledgeable enough on the 1300 to know if that is supposed to happen, but it seems to be common with that gun.

Jim
Old January 30, 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
markj

That was supposed to improve pump speed but it throws a lot of folks off. specially remington guys.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:01 PM   #5
tango1niner

It is known as " speed pump ". u r gtg.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:19 PM   #6
johnmcgowan

Just checked the gun, it does lock when the gun is racked (unloaded), so I think my buddy will be good to go.
Thanks very much for all your help everyone .
Now we just need to go out and call up some coyotes!!
John
Old January 31, 2013, 10:56 PM   #7
Virginian

All my Wingmasters have been doing the same thing for over 40 years. Never confuse marketing with true innovation.