The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Harddog321

Mossberg 500A Question

Hello out there in Shotgun Land!

I just bought myself a used 18.5" 12ga. 500A for home defense.

I purchased this used gun instead of a Chinese clone of something else for about the same money.

Anyway, what I have here is I believe a very early production unit because the serial #996XX has only the 5 digits with no letters. It also has "Police Gun" stamped on the barrel after all the chamber info.

Not ever laying a hand on one of these before sent me to youtube where I found a disassembly video. I take mine apart and I notice that it does not have a firing pin return spring like the one I saw in the video. Mine is just in there floating around. Being scared of accidental drop discharge and the dreaded potential slamfire, my question is what would it take to convert mine to the current spec with the firing pin return spring. My only concern is the safety aspect of this. This shotgun will function just fine as it is.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Dan
Old December 31, 2011, 01:20 AM   #2
the rifleer

You would probably have to drop it off of the empire state building to even possibly have a discharge from a floating firing pin. It just simply is not going to happen.

This is only a problem is semi autos, which move the bolt faster than you could ever hope to operate it. Even then it is very very rare.

I would not worry about it. My mini 14 has a floating firing pin and it doesn't slam fire.

EDIT- I just check, my moss berg 500 also has a floating firing pin and it is only maybe two years old at the most, which makes me believe all mossberg 500's have floating firing pins.
Old December 31, 2011, 03:24 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

You mkay want to look at this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-253494.html

I don't quite understand it, but one person seems to be saying that the problem with some older Mossbergs was a combination of a floating firing pin and a disconnector? I think the problem was that they would fire if racked hard while the trigger was held back (slam firing). If that is true, I don't know if you need to worry about an accidental discharge if the gun is dropped, since the trigger will not be held back, but I am just guessing. There are some guys here that really know Mossbergs and maybe one of them will chime in. Harddog wait to here from Hogdogs (Brent).
Old December 31, 2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Harddog321

I read thru that thread and one guy posted this:

"the first Mossberg 500's had to be recalled because they would fire when racked hard. It was because of a free floating firing pin that would hit the primer and make the weapon fire. They fixed that fast but some of you would have thought that was just great."

I don't think this is great! This describes my concern exactly. An uncommanded discharge. And if you accidently dropped it on the muzzle end, it could discharge for the same reason! They moded that spring in there for a reason! And also I believe my shotgun to be one of the "first Mossberg 500's" due to that very low serial #

Thanks for looking at this!
Old December 31, 2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Tombstonejim

Well the model 12 Winchester was king of the pumps for many years (may still be in some eyes) and it will fire if you hold the trigger and pump it. It was made that way.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I missed any info about a recall for my 500-D...

It is a floating pin and made around 1989-1990 or so...

I think you would have to drop it real hard on the muzzle to get a AD though.

Brent
Old August 6, 2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Barthanatos

I am active-duty Navy, and we just got a message regarding an accidental discharge with a Mossberg 500.

Here's a reference from the Naval Safety Center:
http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafece...2012/3rd12.pdf

To sum it up, shotguns of this model put together before 1994 had a different firing pin spring. They should be replaced with a new part to avoid a shock to the weapon from causing a discharge, even with the safety engaged.

Here's a link to the Mossberg Customer Service / Parts page (USA):
http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?...ection=service

I would contact them to make sure you are getting the correct part. Don't do the repair yourself unless you are sufficiently expert and willing to accept responsibility, etc.