The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 27, 2016, 12:55 AM   #1
bamaranger

Why "PIG PLEX", why why?

I'm in the market for an affordable low power variable, and am a Leupold fan. So Leupold has the Hog Scope, and some shopping will yield a fair price if you want one.

So WHY did Leupold see fit to lable "PIG PLEX" on the reticle???? Might as well put "read me first every time before you shoot" on it. Because of this label, I am shopping for a Leupold shotgun 1-4x, or am considering a brand swap, either a Nikon 1-4x(looks big & heavy) or a Weaver 1-3x (import, what about durability?)

Rant over, your comments, or comments on the two options listed welcome.
Old January 27, 2016, 01:03 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

My only defense of their choice is that it is a reminder, every time you look through the scope, that it was designed with a specific purpose in mind and the 'holdover' points do not correspond with other scopes.
Old January 27, 2016, 01:50 AM   #3
taylorce1

Well you can buy the same scope in a simple duplex reticle so I don't see an issue.
Old January 27, 2016, 08:00 AM   #4
agtman

Pig/hog/feral swine hunting is a hot gun-sport right now, and has been for some years. Hogs are invasive, destructive, and sometimes dangerous. Every state which has them wants them eradicated, year-round, no bag limit - and as a huntable predator species, hogs can make for an exciting, adrenaline-filled hunt.

So "Pig Plex" is purely a marketing ploy to increase the profit margin on an otherwise mediocre Leupy scope that doesn't really do anything more or better than other scopes in the same magnification range for its intended purpose: a short-range rifle or slug gun optic.
Old January 27, 2016, 08:02 AM   #5
jmr40

They offer the same identical scope with 3 reticle options. I prefer the heavy duplex, but there isn't anything wrong with the pig scope. You can also get a standard duplex. Hogs/pigs are often shot up close,fast, and on the move You have built aiming points to help establish lead on crossing shots.

http://swfa.com/images/leupold_heavyduplex_popup.jpg

Many people find the circle in the middle is faster to get on target with and I really like Leupolds long range dots. On a hunting rifle who cares if the dots aren't perfectly calibrated for a specific load. All modern rifles are close enough in trajectory to simply use the 200, 300, or even 400 yard dots on any big game animal, and with any cartridge and still hit in the kill zone at those ranges. A 300 magnum might hit 1-2" above the dot, a 308 1-2" below. Very few rifles and shooters are good enough to worry about a bullet that impacts 1-2" away from the aiming point at 300-400 yards. Especially on animals that have 12-18" kill zones.

On a varmint rifle, or a target rifle it might matter. Not on a big game rifle.
Old January 27, 2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Dranrab

Where have you seen good prices on the pig plex? I found a good price from an online vendor on a turkey plex, but the vendor had some reviews that left me uncomfortable.
Old January 27, 2016, 08:26 AM   #7
us920669

I agree with the OP, it's like, "What, I'm not allowed to shoot a deer with it?" I don't like words on cars either.
I've had a Nikon Monarch 1.5 - 4.5 with "Turkeyplex" I think they call it for many years. It's got crosshairs all the way to the center as well as the zone. It's been on a number of big bores and has given me no trouble. I'm not a PH and I guess I really don't shoot all that much, but safari rifles can be tough on optics and that scope doesn't do anything except what it's supposed to.
Old January 27, 2016, 05:00 PM   #8
Keg

Quote:
So WHY did Leupold see fit to lable "PIG PLEX" on the reticle????
It's just a marketing ploy..just like putting zombie max on ammo.... Guess what? that ammo sold like crazy.... I actually bought the Pig Plex Leupold for my G-sons 300 blk out AR.... I'm putting the gun together for him..and I'm betting he likes it..and it shoots lights out....
Old January 27, 2016, 08:37 PM   #9
rickyrick

Pigs, Hogs, Boar related items are to Hunting as TACTICAL is to the non-hunting community.
Pigs have been elevated to mythical beast status and some think hunting them makes you a legendary folk hero.
It's a fairly fun activity that I took part in for a few years and I've killed several hundred. It is devoid of most of the standard game rules, and many times akin to shooting fish in a barrel.
It requires no magic bullets or specialty weapon, however short rifles do help at times. But you don't need any RIG specific to hogs. I started out with a ratty old NO4 Enfield, but moved down to .223. PigPlex is comical.
Old January 29, 2016, 05:03 AM   #10
mxsailor803

If you're active duty or LEO, contact Leupold and they will send you a listing of discounted items. The VX-HOG right now is 212 with shipping.
Old January 29, 2016, 09:01 AM   #11
Dranrab

That's a good price Sailor, but I am retired so I don't qualify.
Old January 29, 2016, 09:29 AM   #12
hammie

@"fanken M", taylorforce, and jmr40: As always, you guys are the voices of reason and knowledge. However, on this one, I have to agree with bamaranger and likely the whole bama-family. I wish the Hog plex marketing gimmick had been left off the scope.

I bought a savage 11, hog hunter, added an AAC flash suppressor, and mounted a leupold hog plex scope with quick detachable rings, and replaced the cheap stock with a boyd's. The rifle serves as my poor man's scout rifle. But, still, I wish the porcine references were missing.

Same with the green slime colored, zombie scopes and stocks.
Old January 31, 2016, 10:31 PM   #13
reynolds357

It is labeled "pig plex" because that is what it is designed for. I have one on my 450 Bushmaster and love the scope.
Old February 1, 2016, 07:37 AM   #14
fourbore

I saw a great deal on a returned/discounted Leupold and was reaching for my wallet until I realized it was a pig flex. Just so stupid..... Needless to say it is still there. We dont even have pigs around here. I bet it was purchased by mistake and returned. Do, I have a point? Only that resale may suffer on any gimmick cross hair.
Old February 1, 2016, 08:00 AM   #15
Old Stony

I would venture to say a lot of what we buy around the gun world is marketing ploy in some sense or other. They design stuff to get us to buy it, that's basically the bottom line. How about handguns in O.D, flat earth, grey colors? How about small replaceable parts of rifles and handguns with slogans printed on them? Punisher insignias? All designed to get a person interested and maybe attract attention and admiration from others....sorta like fancy wheels on your vehicle.
I have a hog plex on one of my rifles just for something different and have shot hogs with it, but I would have bought it if hogs were not on the shooting menu nonetheless.
Old February 2, 2016, 01:07 PM   #16
Guv

Gimmick, Gimmick! I can't imagine how a "Pig Plex" could work any better than a good old heavy duplex for hog hunting.
Old February 2, 2016, 09:38 PM   #17
reynolds357

The name is a gimmick. The reticle is pretty unique. It is a German reticle with elevation hashes added.
Old February 3, 2016, 07:34 AM   #18
stubbicatt

I guess the manufacturer is pandering to a particular market.
Old February 4, 2016, 06:55 AM   #19
Snyper

I wouldn't let the lettering bother me since I'd be concentrating on the center anyway
Old February 4, 2016, 02:59 PM   #20
bamaranger

next new thing

I hear Leupold's next step is to incorporate this aspect (printing in their reticle) to the rest of their scopes, moose plex, coyote plex, bear plex, etc.

Are you ready for "wapiti plex", has a certain ring to it, don't you think?
Old February 4, 2016, 08:30 PM   #21
Guv

Lot's of scope competition these days, I guess anything that may stimulate sales is good for the manufactures. Maybe an AR scope with a Low Life Scuzzbag Plex??
Old February 4, 2016, 11:52 PM   #22
reynolds357

I am sure the "Zombie plex" is sure to come out before long. "Zombie" is a synonym for low life scum bag. The whole zombie craze started in law enforcement. We have been calling meth heads "zombies" for 25+ years. (Their skin looks like zombie skin.) The term finally went mainstream and grew past its orig. usage.