The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 6, 2013, 02:00 AM   #51
Dr Big Bird PhD

255% if you count piers morgan
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 7, 2013, 10:17 AM   #52
Glenn E. Meyer

Saw a poll (whatever) that 95% support universal background checks.

That part might make it through. So mandatory NICS for private sales at shows? I don't know yet if we've seen the details of such.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:23 AM   #53
CowTowner

Where the heck are they gonna get the money to do this? ^^^^^
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 7, 2013, 10:44 AM   #54
SamNavy

As much as I hate to admit it, and as much as I will continue to be vocally against it... I think the probability of FTF sales going away at the federal level is coming. The propoganda machine of the "gunshow loophole", no matter how it's marketed, makes a compelling argument to the average American. Your average democrat will scream and rave if somebody mentions "voter ID law", but at the same time, will rant and rave when they hear you can buy a gun without 20 gov't hoops to jump through.

I also know a lot of gun owners who would be totally willing to "compromise" on this issue for no AWB or mag-limits. I do my best to constantly push the idea that "this is just the next step in the anti's overall plan of completely disarming civilians through complete bans and confiscation"... some get it, some don't.

Since private firearm sales law have always been left up to individual states, I'm wondering about what legal challenges the states may have to stand on. Is there some sort of "free trade" or "states rights" argument that can be made? I'm out of my element here.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:48 AM   #55
Slamfire

She expects BATF personal to memorize all of that?

What the BATF will do is default to their level of understanding:

“Ban them all, let the courts sort it out”
Old February 7, 2013, 11:31 AM   #56
The Baron

What is the likely hood that this would pass? Also why do they consider a barrel shroud a bad thing, or a fore-grip? Do they have reasons why these would be considered bad?
Old February 7, 2013, 12:23 PM   #57
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
So mandatory NICS for private sales at shows? I don't know yet if we've seen the details of such.
McCarthy (H.R.141) and Lautenberg (S.22) has submitted identical bills.

The bills essentially eliminate any casual private sales related to guns shows. Gun shows would have to be registered and "any person who exhibits, sells, offers for sale, transfers, or exchanges 1 or more firearms at a gun show" would have to be registered with the show before it started.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:56 PM   #58
jeffreyulatan

I had an ATF inspector at my shop telling me that he prefers people apply for FFL 01, even if they don't deal that much. He said he likes it when private sales go thru NICS background checks.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:50 AM   #59
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron
Also why do they consider a barrel shroud a bad thing, or a fore-grip? Do they have reasons why these would be considered bad?
Those things are scary. So they want to ban 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNavy
As much as I hate to admit it, and as much as I will continue to be vocally against it... I think the probability of FTF sales going away at the federal level is coming. The propoganda machine of the "gunshow loophole", no matter how it's marketed, makes a compelling argument to the average American.
That's why we've got to get out there, get on FB, get on MySpace and educate the public. We've got to write our congressfolks, and do it yesterday. A month ago, an AWB looked like a real possibility, but it's never been able to gain any traction. I think UBCs can be stopped, but we're not going to accomplish that by posting where nobody but a bunch of gun owners is gonna see it. We've got to get the word out to the folks that vote on these things.