The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 18, 2012, 03:57 AM   #1
TRDFurgesson

Looking for my first AR.....

I would rather pay more for something of quality rather than compromise and save some money. I started out looking at Bushmasters and colts, but now I've moved on to looking at the Knight SR-15. I assume there will quite a difference from BM/Colt to a Knight. My most recent experience was with picking up a Commander 1911. I started out looking at Kimber, Colt, and Springfield but decided on a Dan Wesson V-bob which I couldn't be happier with. I wasn't at all impressed with the new Colt 1911's "rattle" I can only assume Colts AR's are of the same fit. I would consider building an AR but by the time I add up all the parts the Knight has how much money would I really save? What else is out there that would be comparable to a Knight?

Thanks,
Bobby

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Sinlessorrow

The SR-15 is the best AR you can get.

When gene stoner left colt and went to KAC he got together with them and used his years of experience and feedback from the military to make the next evolution of the AR. Thats the SR-15. The SR-15 uses an intermediate length gas system, it has rounded bolt lugs, different coatings and everything. The bolt is guaranteed for 20,000 rounds minimum. A standard bolt will generally go 6,000 rounds.

Now if u want a little cheaper you can get a DAniel defense rifle which is an excellent tricked out standard AR rifle.
Old February 18, 2012, 01:12 PM   #3
TRDFurgesson

Seems the more I look into it the SR-15 keeps coming out on top. Other than the name what is so special about Wilson's UT-15 @ dirt for $2145. I can get an SR-15 from dirt for $1705... I shot a Wilson 1911 against a TRP at the Scottsdale Gun Club and preferred the TRP. That Wilson 1911 must have been worn out because it performed terribly.

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Old February 18, 2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Sinlessorrow

I still say the sr-15

Alot about wilson is the name. I thinkfor a tactical combat rifle the sr-15 is as good as it gets.

Unlike wilsons entry the sr-15 was designed by gene stoner to be what he felt is the best possible military rifle. The enhanced coatings, enhanced bolt, enhanced extractor, proprietary gas system all make the SR-15 the best ar-15 out there
Old February 18, 2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Chris_B

TDR, I would never say that you can't get a better pistol or rifle than a Colt.

However, are you sure you understand why the Colt 1911 rattled?
Old February 18, 2012, 07:13 PM   #6
TRDFurgesson

It might have been a loose trigger but I didn't think to apply pressure to it and try to shake it again. I didn't mean any disrespect colt owners, the best 1911 I have shot to date was a gold cup from the 1970’s with lots of work done to it. IMO standard colt 1911's produced today aren't what they used to be. I really looked hard at Colt but for what I wanted I had to buy a gun and send it off to the custom shop. The Dan Wesson V-bob I purchased had everything I wanted and the parts are fit together very well.

btw it doesn't rattle and it been flawless without malfuction with the 500 rounds I've put through it in the last two weeks.

Old February 18, 2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Chris_B

I don't feel you meant any disrespect, I'm just curious if you understand the reason it wasn't as 'tight' as you might like. The reason those pistols are rattly is out of the scope of this forum and your question, but you're assuming it's a flaw, and therefore the same manufacturing ill must be present in their rifles. I don't want to argue 1911s in your thread about rifles, I am merely trying to help you avoid a possibly needless misconception. Colt doesn't send money my way when I say good things about them, so as long as you get an AR you like, it's all the same to me
Old February 20, 2012, 12:13 PM   #8
TRDFurgesson

How about Daniel Defense and LMT? They were brought up when I asked a retailer about what compared to a Knight. He also said something about the mid length gas systems provided a smoother operation.

Old February 20, 2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Coltman 77

Here's some info. from Larry Vickers about which AR's are GTG and how to set them up. It may help you OP. Good luck with your search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKD-CmX4zQ

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old February 20, 2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Chris_B

TDR, you know you are required to supply photos when you get your rifle, right?
Old February 22, 2012, 12:08 AM   #11
TRDFurgesson

How do you guys like Yankee Hill Machine??

Old February 22, 2012, 08:54 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

You well not find a better AR than what comes out of Noveske Rifle Works.

Noveske works with the premiere AR manufacturers (Vltor, LMT) to produce the best fit and finish available.
Old February 22, 2012, 10:02 AM   #13
Billy Shears

Quote:
I would rather pay more for something of quality rather than compromise and save some money.
Not sure I understand how buying a Colt would ever be seen as a compromise. Colt holds the TDP and makes a damn fine weapon.
Old February 22, 2012, 11:34 AM   #14
thesheepdog

Quote:
How do you guys like Yankee Hill Machine??
They build top notch suppressors and AR's. I am waiting on the BATFE (Belligerent, Arrogant Tyrants, Fulfilling Enslavement) to approve my "device"
They are a smaller company, but I have equipped my suppressor ready AR with a lot of their parts and actually like their rails better than Daniel Defense's.
Old February 22, 2012, 01:55 PM   #15
TRDFurgesson

No yhm fans huh?

Old February 22, 2012, 04:22 PM   #16
thesheepdog

See my reply to your thread.

YHM makes great guns.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:07 AM   #17
TRDFurgesson

I should have refreshed the page before I replied, thanks!!

Tags
bushmaster , colt , knight , springfield , sr-15