The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 13, 2011, 08:04 PM   #1
bassace

Inherited Gun Value Help.......Anaconda & King Cobra

I just inherited a Colt Anaconda 44 Mag & a King Cobra 357. Both Stainless in what appears to be in perfect condition. Both revolvers have 4" barrels. I'm considering selling them and I am looking for some info on their value. Thanks in advance..........

Last edited by bassace; July 13, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old July 13, 2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Don't sell them.
Old July 13, 2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Smaug

I too think you'd regret selling them. They're no longer made and are considered some of the finest examples of double action revolvers.

If you were to sell them to an interested private party, I would be you could get $700 apiece for them.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old July 14, 2011, 05:31 AM   #4
bumnote

If they are in excellent condition and stainless, w/ original grips (box and papers included?) I wouldn't sell either of them for less than $1200 each. In reality I'd hold onto them...the value is going to increase.
Old July 14, 2011, 07:10 AM   #5
excelerater

They are already super valuable condition is everything
if they are like new w box and papers thousands
Old July 14, 2011, 02:39 PM   #6
bassace

wow......thx

I guess a couple thousand dollars for my family to blow on a weekend vacation would be stupid! Thanks for all the advice, I don't have the boxes or papers, but they are in pertect condition. I guess I hold on to them and pass to my son some day. Appreciate the honesty!
Old July 14, 2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Colt stopped making double action revolvers many years ago. In minty condition, even without the boxes and papers, those guns are worth serious money and their value is not going to drop. Even if I weren't a Colt lover I would have to tell you it would be just plain silly to sell them. You will never be able to replace them if you let them get away.
Old July 14, 2011, 08:33 PM   #8
PA Reb

"I guess a couple thousand dollars for my family to blow on a weekend vacation would be stupid! Thanks for all the advice, I don't have the boxes or papers, but they are in pertect condition. I guess I hold on to them and pass to my son some day....."

I'm a S&W guy but those Colts are beautiful and well made pieces. I believe you made the right choice and won't regret it! I wish I had back the four different Pythons I had over the years !
Old July 29, 2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Mayor Al

To get a rough idea of the value (resale) of almost any current firearm (as opposed to historically significant guns) take a look at how those guns are listed on a couple of the major on-line selling agencies...Gunbroker.com and Guns America.com are just two of several internet brokers. Get a list of the various asking, and selling prices for your guns...drop the top-end and cheap-end extremes to come up with a fair example of the median prices that your guns are getting currently.

I am currently watching a coming auction in my area that has several of the Colt and S&W 44 Magnums listed on its roster. I checked the median prices for these guns on the sites I mentioned, and found that the Anaconda's run from $1000 to $1500 +-, with some of the fancier S&W PC 44's running in the same range.

As a result I may have to lower my expectations and check out a 357 Python, so as not to overshoot my budget.
Old July 29, 2011, 12:50 PM   #10
BigJimP

Condition is everything ....and a photo might help ....but in pristine condition ...they could be worth $ 1,500 each very easily ...without boxes and papers - is not really that big a deal - and not having them will not limit the value much, if anything, at all.

But I would not recommend selling them either - unless you really need the money.
Old July 30, 2011, 02:40 AM   #11
Jeff OTMG

I can't believe that Anacondas have gone up that much. Never knew much about King Cobras. Check the Anaconda sights. If it is cranked all the way over to one side then you have a problem. During the cost cutting at Colt they had laid off the millwrights. The mill that machined the Anaconda frames got off as much as 2 degrees. If you stick a 4' wooden dowel down the barrel you can see the dowel point off to the side on the frames that are off. My .44 mag was apparently one of those and I sold it off before finding out what the problem was.
Old July 30, 2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Winchester_73

Quote:
Condition is everything ....and a photo might help ....but in pristine condition ...they could be worth $ 1,500 each very easily ...without boxes and papers - is not really that big a deal - and not having them will not limit the value much, if anything, at all.
Condition really isn't everything, but CRD is: Condition, Rarity and Demand. When there's a ton of something floating around, like S&W 36s, the condition is less important or when a gun isn't in demand at all, condition also isn't really the bees knees as many would have you believe. Gun values are much more complex than condition alone although condition obviously helps.

They could be worth $1500 each to rich ignorant snobs who are unable to find any other revolvers IE they would not bring that much normally. I would say $2300 for the pair is more like it. King Cobras almost never bring $1500 unless they are snubs. The anaconda is worth in this condition $1100 to $1400.

Without boxes and papers IS a big deal because people rarely buy such guns for shooting purposes. S&Ws offer the same or better quality for much less in the used market. These OP's Colts would be most likely purchased by collectors, who care about having boxes and original paper work. I should know, I am one myself.
Old August 3, 2011, 08:31 PM   #13
absolute0

I'll have to disagree slightly with the other guys who've already chimed in.

4" King Cobras aren't fetching anywhere near a grand...you'd be doing very well to get $750-800 for a clean example without box and papers.

The Anaconda might fetch $1000 if you're really willing to sit on it a long time and hold out for your price, don't hold your breath.

$1600 or so for the pair is probably more realistic in todays marketplace.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:53 PM   #14
RsqVet

I find the online sites seem to have really over inflated revolver prices. I think they cater to those who want it now! As opposed to those willing to wait and pound the pavement at local gun shops / shows
Old August 4, 2011, 10:28 AM   #15
Winchester_73

Quote:
I'll have to disagree slightly with the other guys who've already chimed in.

4" King Cobras aren't fetching anywhere near a grand...you'd be doing very well to get $750-800 for a clean example without box and papers.

The Anaconda might fetch $1000 if you're really willing to sit on it a long time and hold out for your price, don't hold your breath.

$1600 or so for the pair is probably more realistic in todays marketplace.
Well I did base my price on what I see them sell online for. I did that because anyone can sell online with relative ease. However, even in the depressed Pittsburgh area, $1600 the pair is a bargain. If you can get these kind of guns for those prices in MN, perhaps you should take a loan out and buy every gun you can find like that because people in other parts of the country will and DO pay much more than $1600 for guns such as these (assuming the description is 100% correct).

Neither is made anymore, both are NIB, both are Colt, etc. Colts are in demand.....any amount of research will prove that.
Old August 4, 2011, 03:00 PM   #16
DTesch357

No, they aren't NIB. He clearly states that he does not have the boxes or papers.
Old August 5, 2011, 07:28 AM   #17
Winchester_73

Quote:
No, they aren't NIB. He clearly states that he does not have the boxes or papers.
You're right. I forgot about the OPs 2nd post.

That certainly changes things, and because of that $1600 is about right for the pair.

Woops

My prices were given for NIB condition, because I swore I read that, but apparently I did not.

Tags
anaconda , colt , king cobra , values