The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 12, 2006, 06:43 AM   #76
firestorm829

C-9 and carbine

I have the C9 9mm and the carbine. The C9 I find to be heavy, but I like a heavy hand gun. I found that they both fire each and every time that I pull the trigger with no jams. I only have one complaint about them, that is breaking them down to clean them. They both use pins, and are a total hassel to strip them. I find it easier to give them a once over, without field stripping them. If someone knows an easy way to clean them, I would love to hear about it.
Old January 12, 2006, 11:02 AM   #77
donberry

hi-point

ignoring all of the stupid stuff said about the C9, after shooting over 1500 rounds thru mine, I have found something that bugs me.
It may just be me, but there are a couple of times I inadvertantly hit the mag release button and the magazine dropped out. I do not know if it is the placement of the button or just the ignorant guy holding it, but it is something I have to keep in mind now.
Old January 12, 2006, 01:13 PM   #78
BADMAN400

magazine drop...

Don,
I had the same problem with my C-9 dropping the magazine shortly after I bought the gun. I called MKS and talked to a tech. He was very helpful and shipped out the spring, clip retainer, and realease button that same day! Free! It arrived in the mail about 3 days later and in ten minutes I had the grips pulled, retainer/button installed and back together. Simple install, and much better than sending the gun back and waiting. Since then, my C-9 has functioned perfectly! Haven't dropped a single clip. So, no it isn't you. But in answer to the guy that posted before you. I agree that the field strip could be a little easier. But short of the old mallet and punch to remove the clip I don't know of an easier way. Another rep from MKS sent me an email advising that I should only use some break-free spray and never take it apart at all. What the heck, if it breaks it's guaranteed for life.
Wade
Old January 12, 2006, 04:57 PM   #79
Dave686

I tried to buy one last weekend. My dealer said he couldn't get one and another local dealer wanted more than MSRP.
Old January 12, 2006, 06:14 PM   #80
BADMAN400

Dave,
I'm not surprised! Some of the gun shops in my area don't even sell Hi-Point guns at all. They seem to think it's "beneath" them. But some others are catching on to what we Hi-Point owners already know. They're worth more than they cost! Some are probably raising the prices to capitalize on that. Shoot well, be safe.
Old January 12, 2006, 06:38 PM   #81
Jart

Quote:
local dealer wanted more than MSRP.
Pawn shop locally has a C-9 for 295.00. Makes me wonder what kind of people go in there. He evidently moves enough of 'em though.
Old January 12, 2006, 06:40 PM   #82
1inthechamber

The only store that sells here sells alot. They ran out of the C9 when I bought mine (I got the last one).

Dave, don't give up, once you get one and start shooting it, you'll enjoy it just as much as the other Hi-Point owners. I know I am!

Side note: Went to the range today and shot 100 more rounds of CCI Blazer Brass without any problems. I can't praise CCI Blazer enough, it really does make a difference.
Old January 12, 2006, 06:52 PM   #83
BADMAN400

I don't know what area of the country you're in Dave, but here in SC my C-9 was $159 NIB. And when I went to another gun shop 5 miles away to get an extra clip for it, he said he could've sold it to me for $135. Today I went to the range to test a recently repaired Beretta 9000S. I also shot my new Bond Arms Texas Defender derringer with .410 shotshells in it. What a cannon. But the last one I shot was my trusty Hi-Point C-9. What a pleasure to shoot, and it sure made me feel great hitting the bullseye so consistently from 5 yards 6 yds out!
Old January 12, 2006, 07:06 PM   #84
Dave686

I’m thinking here lately I’m in the wrong part of the country; at least for buying guns.

I’m in the Nashville area. I moved here from Illinois where I had a couple of dealers that treated me right. I have been trying to buy the new S&W M&P since they started shipping. Up North they are selling for $530-$550. Down here I have been able to find one dealer that has them and they want $629. I offered $550, but they wouldn’t take it.

Then while I’m talking to one dealer about the S&W I ask, by the way do you have a H-Point .45? He tells me he does, and that its $199. MSRP on the Hi-Point website is $179.
Old January 18, 2006, 05:18 PM   #85
oldguy52

I'm not an owner, but I have shot a friends 380 and couldn't get it to group. I didn't have any problem with my pistol (not a hipoint). That gun had less than 100 rounds though it and the fellow was telling how accurate it was. Also a buddy of my son brought his up to shoot and wasn't having much better luck when comparing it to the son's (cal 40 S&W and again not a hipoint) That was a 9mm and it was all over the target and the woods. I know it's not a lot but that's my experience with them. On the plus side they are cheap and they are made in the USA which helps the country's tax base. Anything that goes bang is alot of fun, but I'd get out and try one before I take anyones word on perfomance. Remember not all hunters/shooters BS, but a lot of BSer's hunt/shoot.
Old January 18, 2006, 07:29 PM   #86
BADMAN400

another Hi-Point range report...

Old Guy,
I've never shot a 380, but I do own a 9mm & .45 semi-pistols, and a .40 carbine rifle, all by Hi-Point. As a boy I shot my father's guns but, at 46 yrs old I have only gotten involved with shooting again in just the past 3 months or less. So, needless to say I'm no expert marksman. And I can only give my experience but, I have gone from, "all over the target and woods," to some pretty tight groups with both Hi-Point handguns at around 15-30ft, and pie-plate sized groups at 100 yds. with the Hi-Point Carbine in a short time! My experience has been great so far, at least in this novice's humble opinion. I did find the handguns to be a little unwieldy at first, but soon became used to the feel and quickly improved. If not for the weight, I would trust any of my Hi-Points for SD. At present I own several other types of handguns, and I will admit they are all very different to shoot. As a result it takes me some time to adjust for accuracy when switching from any one, to another. And with practice one does improve. Still a Hi-Point fan! Shoot well-be safe.
Old January 18, 2006, 07:40 PM   #87
1inthechamber

I'm not a great shot either, but everyone had to begin somewhere. I am starting to get my groups closer together. I'm just having a blast shooting the Hi-Point.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:08 PM   #88
duck911

Can someone please give us a little heads up on the ballistics differences between the 40 S&W and 9 MM carbine? I already have a 9MM (Ruger) so having another 9MM would make bulk ammo purchases easier, but if there is a real positive downrange difference with the 40 over the 9MM out of the carbine, I would buy the 40...

Any ideas?
Old January 18, 2006, 11:04 PM   #89
rcwpop

I worked in a gun shop for a couple years and we sold a fair number of these guns and although I do not have an exact count I would estimate that 2 out of 3 sold came back for one reason or another. In my humble opinion there are a number of weapons out there that would still be considered "Saturday Night Specials" that are far superior.

Backstrap
Old January 19, 2006, 12:41 AM   #90
oldguy52

Glad to hear the hipoints are working out for you Badman. It's good to see a US company is producing a product at that price and not importing it from overseas. However in my defense to my posting, I was just answering the question posed by the fellow that was looking for first hand info on the hipoints. The one I shot didn't do it. I'm not a super shot like some, but I do expect that when I have the sight on the dot and the gun goes bang that the bullets will end up somewhat together. That didn't happen with the 380ACP hipoint for me. It did happen with my old 45 pistol that I hadn't shot in a couple of years. As for the 9, I know the guy wasn't happy with the performance and he shoots it regularly. But I agree with you that there are a lot of different facets to shooting each gun. So my humble advice to a new buyer is do the research and then go try one for themselves. But take a friend with something else to compare to. A sharp stick will do the job. But there are things that might do it better if you have a chance to look around.
Now if you want something for house protection I recomend getting a 12ga shotgun with a short barrel and keep a five gallon pail of drywall compound around in case you ever have to use it.
Old January 19, 2006, 11:49 AM   #91
Te Anau

Quote:
Now if you want something for house protection I recomend getting a 12ga shotgun with a short barrel and keep a five gallon pail of drywall compound around in case you ever have to use it.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:45 PM   #92
Dave686

Quote:
In my humble opinion there are a number of weapons out there that would still be considered "Saturday Night Specials" that are far superior.
Which .45 semi autos would those be?
Old January 19, 2006, 04:31 PM   #93
CajunBass

Quote:
In my humble opinion there are a number of weapons out there that would still be considered "Saturday Night Specials" that are far superior.
While you're at it. Which 9mm's (9x19) would those be? I might want one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 19, 2006, 08:58 PM   #94
Jart

I've posted in a couple of Hi-Point threads and never bashed the things. I'm no fan of zamak, but tried to stay honest about recent QC improvements...

That said....

I'm bettin' one Hi-Point guy is about to trade up, real soon now...

He's postin' in the reloading forum.

...time will tell.
Old January 19, 2006, 11:26 PM   #95
newcastlejudo

I have a .40 carbine and a .40 pistol. Pistol has not had problem . I finally "zeroed " the carbine and I like it. I have had problems with the slide on the carbine but I beat the hell out of it and it works fine now.I could have sent it in but i like it at home. If it continues to give me problems I will . I hear they hand out extra magazines for your troubles. I'm considering the 9mm copmpact, but may go kel tec or taurus. I like the hi points .
Old January 20, 2006, 04:33 AM   #96
CajunBass

Quote:
I'm bettin' one Hi-Point guy is about to trade up, real soon now...
I guess I'm a "Hi-Point guy," and I'm thinking I might get a 1911 of one kind or another soon. Leaning toward a Springfield GI. Not sure just yet. That has nothing to do with what I think of my Hi-Point though. I've already got a half dozen other handguns. They had nothing to do with me buying a Hi-Point.
Old January 20, 2006, 07:28 AM   #97
Jart

Actually, I had someone else in mind, but no matter.

The more the merrier.
Reloading Kunbaya.
Old January 20, 2006, 10:13 AM   #98
CajunBass

Quote:
Actually, I had someone else in mind, but no matter.
I didn't think you meant me. I haven't posted in the reloading forum.

I used to reload back in the 80's when I was shooting with a local IPSC club. I started with a Lee Loader, and a plastic hammer, and ended up with most all the goodies. I don't know how many rounds of 45 acp I put up with that Lee Loader, but it was a BUNCH.

I wish I still had that 70 series Colt too.

Old January 20, 2006, 08:20 PM   #99
nvankalker

keep our money do not buy one they are cheap I know I bought one
Old January 26, 2006, 09:23 AM   #100
jsflagstad

3000+ Rounds through my Hi-Point Comp 9

I now have 3000+ rounds through my Hi-Point Comp 9mm and it never missed a beat. It eats everything I feed it with out a problem right up to my +P handloads (450+ ft/lbs). Has proven to be quite an accurate gun as well. I have the 40 S&W as well, but haven't shot that quite as much. Had to send the 40 back one time and it turned out that the extractor was just a bit out of adjustment. I may pick up one in 45acp as well if I find a good deal on one.

From the mixed reviews, I guess they may have made some not so good ones but I guess the two I have are not those. I would say that I am completely happy and satisfied with them, and they shoot as well as the higher priced HK that is in my safe. I have had both of my Hi-Points apart, for general tune up and what I call a "Fluff and Buff" where I polish up some of the internals. Maybe that makes all of the difference?? Not sure but mine really shoot...

JSF
Closed Thread