The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 4, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Bowhunter57

Mossberg 930 patterning...

Now that I have my long range rifle dialed in, it's time to get the close range weapon dialed in too. I took my new Mossberg 930, 3", 12 gauge with a 24" barrel and a Carlson extended non-ported choke tube in a .680" constriction, out for some testing. All shots were at 50 yards.

I shot some Federal 00 bk. in 2 3/4" and 000 bk., in 3" and it was very wide spread. I have yet to try any #4 bk., but want to try some Federal and Hornady brands.

What did pattern very well, was Dead Coyote Ts (3") and Remington HD in BBs...also in 3". If this ammo penetrates as good as they advertise, there's no way a coyote is getting past these loads. I'm curious as to the killing range of this ammo, as I was aiming at the dot on the paper and the patterns for both loads' P.O.I. were a good 10" higher than the P.O.A. This would give me more range, IF the load has the killing power and the pattern didn't disperse.

Dead Coyote Ts: (47 pellets)

Remington HD BBs: (50 pellets)

I can't wait get a kill with either of these loads!
Bowhunter57
Old October 5, 2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Bowhunter57

Well, after all that patterning, I went shopping for some Dead Coyote ammo and got a good case of "sticker shock". At $50 per box of 10 rounds, I'm going to have to do some more patterning with #4 bk., 00 bk. and 000 bk., due to the cost and availability. The last time I purchased Dead Coyote ammo it was $33 per box...heck of an increase.

I have 3 choke tubes to work with, .680", .670" and .665". If none of these work out, I'll be making a call to Carlson Choke Tubes and seek their suggestion. I've spoken with Shane Carlson in the past and had excellent results.

Back to the patterning board!

Bowhunter57
Old October 5, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

Try a plain old Modified choke with your 00 and 000...

If it's a FliteControl load, try CYL - see if that does better.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 5, 2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Bake

My go to "Coyote Load is #4 buck thur a Carlson Coyote Choke. When you talk with them in Atwood (Ka) please try to find out what the Dia. of their Coyote Choke is.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Bowhunter57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
When you talk with them in Atwood (Ka) please try to find out what Dia. their Coyote Choke is.
Bake,
I had some patterning issues with the Dead Coyote choke and the combination of the Dead Coyote ammo, so I called and talked with Shane Carlson. I had already measured the choke tube with my dial calipers and knew it was a .660" constriction, but I asked anyway. He verified my measurement.

At the time I was shooting a Mossberg 500 Turkey Special with a 20" barrel. Using the DC choke tube and DC ammo (T size shot), it would produce an awesome pattern out to 30 yards. However, after the 30 yard mark the pattern busted and was all over the paper at 40 yards. Shane recommended that I mail the DC choke to him with a note requesting its' replacement for a Carlson's .680". I did and he mailed it back within a week...no charge. That's service!

Bowhunter57
Old October 6, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Bake

Bow,

Thanks for the infor.

I was just on their website, and I see they have a "new" choke called Buckshot. Oh,Hell! here we go again! Its for "000" & "00" got to check-it out.

Carlson is really "1st Class"...
Old October 12, 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Bowhunter57

It doesn't matter what anyone else is using or how well it patterns, as it's too expensive to shoot. At $50 per box of 10 rounds, I'll shoot buckshot.

I used an older Patternmaster choke tube, that I purchased back in the mid 90s and tested some 3" Federal Premium #4 bk., 00 bk. and 000 buckshot. I was very impressed with the patterns, all of which were at 44 yards. When this choke tube was in production, there were instructions that came with it, that stated for the best patterns Federal Premium buckshot had to be use.

Hornady Varmint Express 2 3/4" #4 bk., 3" S&B in 00 bk. and 2 3/4" Federal Premium in 00 bk. produced horrible (inconsistent/scattered) patterns at the same distance.

Federal Premium 3" #000 bk.
The #00 bk. patterned just as good as the #000, but I didn't get a picture of it. There were twice as many holes in the paper.

The holes that have flat lines are Federal Premium 3" #4 bk. The circles are the Hornady Varmint Express 2 3/4" #4 bk.

The coyotes are in so much trouble!
Bowhunter57