The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1
willmc33

Taurus PT1911...good gun compared to other 1911's?

I am still looking around at 1911's and I cant help but wonder how good a gun this is. I havent had a Taurus yet I would call good however this pistol does have alot of features in that price class. Less then $600.00 new for a stainless model at Academy Sports. Anyone who has had any experience with this pistol please chime in and if its not a good gun please let me know.
Old November 29, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
cuba

While you'll probably get a lot of PT1911 haters chiming in I'm not one of those, I've had my stainless PT1911 since 2008 and to date have over 19K rounds through it with out any uncommon 1911 failures being mostly ammo related, I have kept all the original fire control parts which are made through a MIM process which some detest, but in intervals of about every 3K rounds I strip the 1911 down and inspect all the parts under magnification and I haven't found any excessive wear on the parts, though my PT1911 did suffer the infamous ambi-thumb safety failure for which Taurus sent me a replacement safety within a 5 day period, my experience with their customer service has been positive and prompt, I can honestly recommend the PT1911 and would not hesitate to buy another one, I believe that the PT1911 offers the most bag for your buck in the industry, good luck to you.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Last edited by cuba; December 3, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Venom1956

i guess i'll be the first one to bring on the hate. I respectfully disagree with the above post. i just compared a taurus and a springer loaded @ a sshop with a friend. EVERYTHING on that gun seemed subpar to me. from tool marks fit and finish and especially the frame. t felt like it was about 90% complete lots of finishing cuts were either poorly done or skipped entirely thats not even touching the lackluster internals. for my money around 600 i'd stick with a remington, ruger or springer. or a RIA they seem to have a pretty decent track record. if u like you pt1911 thats great but i'd be hard pressed to recommend one.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old November 29, 2012, 02:24 PM   #4
rickyjames

well......i think i will believe a taurus owner with 19K rounds thru his gun rather than a non owner lookyloo at a gun shop. i am also a taurus 1911 stainless owner and i have never had a single problem and as a bonus it is very accurate. pend your money however you like but the taurus 1911 has been a great gun for me, and i actually own one unlike many haters.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:24 PM   #5
bitttorrrent

I love my Pt1911, but it is an older build - have to look at it but at least 10-12 years ago.

Present builds might not be up to par so there may be people not exactly pleased with it since now there is so much competition.

Mine runs great, everyone likes it that shoots it and is completely stock.

After breaking it down and comparing to another higher end SA, there were a few small flaws in finishing that I now noticed and took care of.

So in the end, they probably do not spend a lot of time going over these in house and you then get quality problems, but if you get a good one like mine it will keep pleasing.

P.s. - Customer service is fine also when I called about my other Pt-99. No problems with either, just had a question and they were quick and good.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:50 PM   #6
TacticalDefense1911

Good compared to what? Higher end 1911's or other $600 1911's? Its certainly not as good as higher end 1911's or even most production grade 1911's like Kimber, Sig, S&W, Springfield, Colt (in no particular order). As far as lower level guns go I'd rather have a Ruger or Remington, an STI Spartan or even a Rock Island Tactical.

While 19k rounds through the one posters gun is good, it in no way is indicative of all Taurus 1911's. Get large numbers of these guns to go this many rounds and maybe we can talk but the history is just not there.

The best bang for the buck 1911 that I have seen is the S&W E-series. Lots of very nice features for not alot of money. The only issue I have with them is that the external extractor is not user-serviceable and has to be sent to the factory for replacement. Other then that it is a very solid gun for the money.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:00 PM   #7
HALIFAX

The pt 1911 will be my next pistol purchase. (currently only own an FNP 45) I have shot the pt 1911 and other tauruses for that matter and have found taurus to be a great buy for the money. I think its easy for someone to tell another to purchase a high dollar gun when the person who states that has the money for it. Not everyone can spend a small fortune on a gun, I sure cant. I think taurus is great, just do your research and you will be confident in the company. Also if your set on taurus their 24/7 line of pistols are awesome as well.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:02 PM   #8
sam colt

Taurus 1911

Not a big fan of Taurus, had two that were not worth a damn. However, my pt1911 is now 5 years old and runs and shoots as well as any of my other 1911s. That includes my Colt 70 series, my Springer Range Officer,my SR1911 Ruger and my Remington Enhanced 1911. The only work done was a trigger job by a local 'smith.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:09 PM   #9
jasmith85

My experience is rather limited, only a couple hundred rounds through a friend's pt1911, but I really liked the gun. It functioned perfectly and has a lot more features than other 1911's I've seen in its price range. I will also say that my friend had to send it back to Taurus right after buying it new though. I don't remember specifically but I believe it was something wrong with the extractor.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:15 PM   #10
TMD

I had a blued one in .38Super. That gun was one of the most accurate 1911's I've ever shot I just hated going on the easter egg hunt looking for my brass when I was done. Damn thing would throw brass about 15feet. I even tried heavier springs. Anyways I went through a phase where I was narrowing down my calibers to shoot and reload and .38 Super didn't make the cut so I sold th gun.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

Not a Taurus fan either. I did at one point consider getting two of their guns. The PT1911 and the PT92. I actually still would not mind getting either of them.

I have a sour taste with them because of a Millennium pro I had, what felt like a decade ago.

If I ever see a PT1911 OR PT92 priced right, I'll probably buy it.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:39 PM   #12
hulley

I had a PT1911 SS that was bought in 2007, I honestly never had any kind of failuer in the couple thousand rounds I ran through it. I sold it to a buddy who still has it and he has yet to have a failuer. Niether of us has ever run anything but FMJ. I though it was a great $600 gun. I thought fit and finish was fine.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Technosavant

Had one.

When it worked it was quite accurate. When it worked right.

So no, I'd say it's not as good. It's definitely not worth a price that puts it into the Sig/S&W/Springfield class ($800-1000). Even at a lower price I'd probably give one a miss.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:49 PM   #14
XtremeRevolution

I would buy a RIA or Girsan 1911 over a Taurus from thr research I've done over the past few months. Just too many mixed reports to merit dumping $800 into when there are better options out there

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old November 29, 2012, 05:53 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba
While you'll probably get a lot of PT1911 haters chiming in I'm not one of those, ...
I, on the other hand, am one of the Taurus haters. I've never owned one, but I've worked on them in the shop at the range where I shoot. You might get lucky and get one that works, but you're gambling and the odds are heavily against you.

For the same money you can but a Ruger, and for less you can buy a Rock Island, a Metro Arms American Classic, or a Shooter's Arms 1911. Any of those will be light years ahead of a Taurus.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:54 PM   #16
cuba

Willmc33, consider the source all the negative posts comes from non-PT1911 owners.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Old November 29, 2012, 07:05 PM   #17
Venom1956

Quote:
Willmc33, consider the source all the negative posts comes from non-PT1911 owners.
Sigh... I don't need to own a gun that I know is inferior to other guns to actually know its inferior... just as you don't need to eat **** to know its ****... Your logic is flawed.

We aren't saying they are bad guns we are saying for the money there are better deals to be had.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; November 29, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:51 PM   #18
Cowboy_mo

Don't own a PT 1911

but, my brother does and I've had the opportunity to shoot it a fair amount. His is a fine weapon. It balances and shoots well and has many of the same features as my Kimber Compact II.

While I wouldn't buy the Taurus for a carry gun, (a full size 1911 is difficult to conceal & is heavy no matter who made it) I would buy one if I wanted a range only 1911. As I said earlier, the PT 1911 has many of the same 'custom features' (bull barrel, polished feed ramp, etc.) that are on my Kimber and for $200-300 less.

I also own a Taurus 24/7 in .40 S&W. Haven't had any problems with it either.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:40 PM   #19
fivepaknh

I bought a Stainless PT1911 when they first came out. I've only put about 400 rounds through it, but I've had zero problems with it. I'm sure there are better deals on 1911's for the money, but not with all the features that come standard on the PT1911. I like the bevelled mag well and as a lefty I love the ambi safety.

Quote:
I, on the other hand, am one of the Taurus haters. I've never owned one, but I've worked on them in the shop at the range where I shoot. You might get lucky and get one that works, but you're gambling and the odds are heavily against you.
I've read the same thing about Kimbers and other higher end 1911's.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:54 PM   #20
Crankgrinder

everybody ive known owns a pt1911 swears by it. its like tarurs' cadillac gun or something. Lots of people cant get past that taurus name, but for that price youll end up with an armscore (ria) all the rugers ive seen have been 800+ for not much more you might get a nice springfield maybe a used colt? ruger has a cast frame, springfield has parts made in brazil, taurus uses forged frame so they say. I say if you plan to keep it, it may not be a bad choice, whatever you do dont buy one and then try to sell it.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:03 PM   #21
HALIFAX

Quote:

^ Thank you!
Old November 29, 2012, 10:07 PM   #22
Venom1956

Quote:
lol only thing 'high end' about Kimbers is the MSRP. Kimbers are a fantastic production 1911 a bit overpriced though. Comparing any Pt1911 to a semi custom or above 1911 is laughable. I understand liking what you own but be realistic...
Old November 29, 2012, 10:09 PM   #23
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
springfield has parts made in brazil
By Imbel, who has an excellent reputation.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:12 PM   #24
fivepaknh

Quote:
lol only thing 'high end' about Kimbers is the MSRP. Kimbers are a fantastic production 1911 a bit overpriced though. Comparing any Pt1911 to a semi custom or above 1911 is laughable. I understand liking what you own but be realistic...
The point being that there are reliability problems with a lot of more expensive 1911's. For the money the PT1911 is a great gun. You can find plenty of posts on the internet about reliability issues on $2000 Les Baer 1911's.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:17 PM   #25
Officer's Match

I had one. The reason that is past tense is I let a friend of mine shoot it with me. He wanted it, badly. I said it wasn't for sale, and he started "bidding". When he got to almost two hundred more than I paid (and he knew what I paid), I said uncle. He loves that pistol.

I have had a decent amount of nice 1911's, including most of the semi's as well as Colts and customshop Colts, Kimbers and Springfields. That ugly old PT1911 wasn't embarrassed by any of them at the range, and bested some more than double it's price.