The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 8, 2010, 07:20 PM   #1
hivoltagefx4

Help Out a New Hunter!!

Hello all,

I wanted to see if I could get some help/recommendations on a scope for a rifle I'm looking at? I'm new to hunting and I've got my mind set on a Tikka T3 Hunter in a .270. My question is? I have no idea what type of scope I should get? I don't mind spending decent money for a quality scope. Anyway? Nikon, Leupold, etc... what specs do you all recommend?

Before I forget? Most of what I plan on hunting is deer. Not sure if that makes a difference or not? Thanks all for helping out this newbie!
Old November 8, 2010, 11:48 PM   #2
BfloBill

Where are you hunting?
What type of terrain?
What distances do you expect to take shots at?
Old November 9, 2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Nnobby45

Out west, a 4X scope is a great all around scope.

In less open country, a 2 1/2 X would probably work fine.

And, of course, there are the vaiable power scopes. Leupold makes some very good ones. Resist the tempation to go too high in power.
Old November 9, 2010, 02:56 AM   #4
bamaranger

.270 scope

You've bought a nice rifle, don't scrimp on a scope. I think the tendency these days is to buy more optic than is really needed, however, in terms of size and magnification. Since you asked, I'd consider Burris and Leupold as starting points, and a 3-9x variable w/ 40mm bell is pretty universal.

You don't mention any specifics, but a .270 is a deer rifle for most of us.

I've gone retro and have gravitated back towards fixed power on several of my rifles. My .270 just got a Leupold M8 fixed 6x from ebay, with the 42mm bell and upgraded glass, for about a third of its original cost.
Old November 9, 2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From the standpoint of magnification, 4X will be plenty for deer, at least out to 400 yards--and more, from my father's several-times experience. Mid-range price, a major-brand scope oughta work fine for decades.

I've used 3x9x40s, but that was more "I want..." and the size of my billfold, rather than actual need. One of my longest kills was with the variable set down on 3X.

And when walking/stalking and playing sneaky-snake, I always have a variable down on its lowest setting. In deer hunting, generally, IMO field of view is more important than magnification.
Old November 9, 2010, 02:35 PM   #6
ryalred

I agree with bamranger. I'd get something like a Leupold in the 3x9 magnification with no more than 40 mm objective lens. If you go above a 40mm objective lens you may have to have extra high scope mounts. (I like my scopes mounted as low as I can get them.)
reloading -- addicted
Old November 10, 2010, 08:06 PM   #7
hivoltagefx4

Thanks for the replies! Mainly plan on deer hunting no more than 400 yards or so. I'm out here on the east coast in Virginia. Your various posts definitely help!
Old November 10, 2010, 08:43 PM   #8
mitchell koster

Swarovski and Karles are great scopes if you don't mind spending money. but a leupold VX3 scope is great too!!

Good luck witht the seach.

MK

P.s Great rifle choice!!
Old November 10, 2010, 08:54 PM   #9
gaseousclay

depends on what your budget is too. despite the constant debates over Nikon vs Leupold, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have a Browning A-Bolt .270 and I just bought a Leupold VX3 3-5x10x40 scope for it. I think it's more than sufficient and it should last me a lifetime. but, i'm sure a 3x9x40 Nikon would serve you just as well. go to your local sporting goods store and check out the floor models to see they compare visually
Old November 11, 2010, 07:06 AM   #10
hooligan1

+1 Art! I try to remember to set mine down before a stalk or a quiet walk to and from stand incase I jump one!!! Hey FX4 check out your local Bass-Pro!!
Old November 11, 2010, 12:11 PM   #11
grubbylabs

I have had good luck with good scopes in the 4x-12x range. when hunting I turn them down for the most part but when out at the range shooting the 12x comes in handy. Just because you have a 12x scope does not mean you need to leave it on 12x, you can turn it down. I usually carry mine at 4x while out hunting. And they generally don't cost much if any more than a good 3X9.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old November 11, 2010, 04:22 PM   #12
warbirdlover

I've got a 4-16 X 50 Mueller and you definitely need the higher mounts. I love it though. I hunt with it on 6X most of the time.
Old November 11, 2010, 08:19 PM   #13
hivoltagefx4

I'm gonna go with either a Leupold or Nikon. I don't mind dropping a good dollar if it's worth it. I mean, I spent $1000 on a Trijicon for my AR-15. Doesn't mean I have to spend a ton of $$$ I just want to get a nice scope.
Old November 11, 2010, 08:25 PM   #14
Doc Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnobby45
"Out west, a 4X scope is a great all around scope.

In less open country, a 2 1/2 X would probably work fine.

And, of course, there are the vaiable power scopes. Leupold makes some very good ones. Resist the tempation to go too high in power."
I agree with Nnobby.

Since you live in eastern Virginia I'm assuming you'll likely hunt near where you live, or the Carolinas or Georgia. These locations aren't known for routine 400 yard shots (in my experience at least). Where I hunted 400 foot shots were sometimes hard to find (scrub pine private land).

I used a Leupold 2x7 variable and was very happy with it. As some of the others have said, it was often dialed down towards the 2x or 3x end of the scale.

Good luck with your selection.