The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 14, 2010, 07:10 AM   #1
c.robertson

Uberti vs Pietta 1858

Yesterday I purchased a new-in-the-box Navy Arms Pietta 1858 .44 Remington New Army Stainless Target off Gunbroker. Paid WAAAY too much, but I wanted that gun. ($320.00) The price of these models are generally in the neighborhood of $400.00+. Have not seen any UNDER that.
Today it is off to auction to purchase a Uberti of same configuration. It will be interesting to do a side by side comparison of the two.
Will post photos after delivery of Pietta.
cbr
Old August 14, 2010, 08:08 AM   #2
rtpzwms

OK now you'll have to write a review. I have a Pietta that I bought at Wall Drug in SD during a vacation a few years back and its a blast! I hope your enjoy yours as much!
Old August 14, 2010, 11:03 AM   #3
zippy13

A difference you may notice between the Pietta and Uberti Remington M1858 replicas is that Uberti (left) dovetails the front sight and loading lever stud into the barrel as did the original Remingtons, Pietta (right) doesn't. This may not seem like a big deal; but, the stud on my Pietta detached itself (there was only a very small spot of solder at the joint). My neighbor's Pietta stud is so poorly fitted (set at an angle) that it doesn't function properly.

Old August 14, 2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Slowhand

Remmies

I just sent the MO off to get a Remmie I bought on Gun Broker. $257.00, with S&H.
Old August 14, 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Model-P

Uberti, dovetail? Interesting. They didn't in 1977:
Old August 14, 2010, 02:59 PM   #6
zippy13

Interesting observation Model-P.
It's something you typically wouldn't notice until you want to drift the front sight a pinch. Did I read something about Uberti or Pietta re-tooling some years ago? I wonder if that was responsible for the newer Uberti's being dovetailed. Of course, there may be various levels of Ubertis, was yours labeled as an Uberti or sold by an importer without mention of the maker?

With my Pietta's lug gone, I made up a spring latch and removed the loading gear. Now, I use a custom cylinder press.

Old August 14, 2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Model-P

Quote:
Of course, there may be various levels of Ubertis, was yours labeled as an Uberti or sold by an importer without mention of the maker?

Marked "E.M.F. Co LA CAL." on barrel top.
Old August 14, 2010, 04:30 PM   #8
c.robertson

Bought the Uberti 1858 Stainless Target today for $250.00. Excellent workmanship, locks up tighter than any of my 40+ cartridge revolvers.
There is NO importer listed on this gun. Cal 44 blackpowder only - A.Uberti italy on the bottom of the barrel under the loading lever.

Ref. the front sight on the other 2 '58's (non target sighted). One .36 Uberti and one .44 Pietta. neither are dovetailed into the barrel.

When the Pietta Stainless Target gets here I will post photos of all 4 '58's , IF I can figgure out how. That may not be until the last week of the month. To many VA hospital visits between now and then.
cbr
Old August 14, 2010, 10:24 PM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.robertson
Bought the Uberti 1858 Stainless Target today for $250.00. Excellent workmanship, locks up tighter than any of my 40+ cartridge revolvers.
Congratulations. I'm looking forward to your comparison.

Model-P
IIRC, back in the day E.M.F. (Early Modern Firearms Co.) didn't indicate who their suppliers were. They were sort of like the old Herters catalog in that they advertised the highest quality for the lowest prices. At their web site, E.M.F. clearly indicates their M1858 Remingtons are now made by Pietta. Some other E.M.F. guns are by Uberti.
Old August 14, 2010, 11:29 PM   #10
Model-P

Quote:
IIRC, back in the day E.M.F. (Early Modern Firearms Co.) didn't indicate who their suppliers were.
And, IIRC, the EMF ad I bought the gun from didn't say who the manufacturer was, so you are more than likely correct. But, mine is definitely stamped "Uberti" (not that I would have known the difference or cared at the time when I got it for my 8th grade graduation).
Old August 15, 2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Model-P

Quote:
Uberti (left) dovetails the front sight and loading lever stud into the barrel as did the original Remingtons
Definitely no dovetail on the front sight of this one from 1864:
http://oldguns.net/pix/18017.jpg
Old August 15, 2010, 07:58 PM   #12
MJN77

Original Remingtons did not have dovetailed front sights or loading lever studs. Not that some original owners didn't have a local gunsmith dovetail one. The Pietta guns are closer to originals in this respect. I however prefer Uberti guns to Piettas. Had too many problems with Piettas in the past, but I hear they have greatly improved since.