Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 4, 2010, 12:36 AM   #1
escard

.44 hardcore-ranking

In my best years I had three different .44 models at one time to play with:
  • S&W #29-2 w/6,5",
  • S&W #629 Mountain gun w/4",
  • Ruger Redhawk w/5,5"
While I do not have my Redhawk anymore (sic!) I hade the time to make the experience, that only this one liked the hefty (as well as highly numbered, about 1500 shots) diet with really strong 300 grainer loads (the best ones chronographed at 1416 fts out of the 5,5" Ruger).
Has anyone experience shooting heavy .44-loads over a longer period while using the Colt Anaconda and the Ruger Vaquero?
Old August 4, 2010, 05:12 PM   #2
batmann

None shooting the ones you mentioned and good luck finding an Anaconda. I love my 629 MG and it will shoot about any load I can handle.
Old August 4, 2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

I have loaded and fired some very heavy loads with 300 grain bullets from a 7.5" Redhawk.
The recoil is more than I like at all. I found it more tiring than punishing. I was able to put in no more than one cylinder full in a practice session.
Max loads with 240 grain bullets were not punishing for me and I could shoot them all afternoon or until I ran out of ammo.
300 grainers are whomper-stompers, no doubt.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Doodlebugger45

I have an old model Vaquero (5.5" bbl) and a 629 (8.375" bbl). The 629 does OK with the hot 300 gr loads and is reasonably comfortable. But it's not as accurate as it is with the 240 gr loads and I really don't want to punish the action of that fine revolver with the big hot loads. The Vaquero is definitely UNpleasant to shoot with the heavy hot loads. I decided if I want to shoot the heavy hot loads I'll do it in my 454 or 480 BFRs. For the little 44 mag cartridge, the 240-250 gr bullets are just fine.
Old August 5, 2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Ozzieman

I agree with Doodlebugger45, the Vaquero (mine is a 45 LC) is very uncomfortable to shoot heavy loads in and I also won’t beat my N fame revolvers.
If you really want to build some intercontinental missiles you should try a Contender. I have loaded some 44 jacketed 200 gr that we clocked at 2100+ out of a 14 inch contender. They were not very accurate but the flame was most impressive, the recoil,,, brutal even in the contender. Note that these were within recommended load pressures for a rifle load for the 44 mag and were under 40,000 cup.
Old August 5, 2010, 06:48 PM   #6
RickE

Don't overlook the SA Super Blackhawk. It has a non fluted cylinder, better suited for heavy loads.
Old August 6, 2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Ozzieman

I would take RickE suggestion, for the price you cant beat the Super Blackhawk.
Old August 7, 2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Ben Shepherd

The Vaqs with a Bisley grip aren't bad with heavy loads, the Colt WILL NOT take repeated heavy loads without regular tune-ups.

For heavy 44 mag loads I actually prefer a Ruger SRH. The only 44 mag I have still wearing the factory grips.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old August 9, 2010, 06:26 PM   #9
RickE

Forgot to add...get a set of rubber grips, they help a lot. I have a set of Pachmeyers (sp?)
Old August 9, 2010, 07:17 PM   #10
troy_mclure

i shoot really hot 300gr loads out of my super blackhawk.
it had a 7.5" barrel.

recoil wasn't too bad once i put on a pachmayr decelerator grip. it is the best investment i made on that gun.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old August 11, 2010, 09:40 PM   #11
Combat Kenny

44 mag

Hi,

I have a S&W 29-8 Mountain gun for my little hikes in the woods. I like to carry it concealed in a Galco shoulder rig. For the grip, I have a crimson trace installed. Loaded with Winchester Partition Gold. Just to be ready for something I hope that would never happen.

On the range, I shoot light loads of 44 mag. That way I get use to the feel of the gun and less wear and tear of the gun.
Old August 11, 2010, 09:49 PM   #12
jhgreasemonkey

A coworker of mine destroyed his beautiful anaconda with hot loads. He was able to have it fixed but he was told by the factory anaconda's do not handle hot loads and not to use them. The s&w 29 my buddy shoots rattles loose with hot loads. I've got a couple ruger .44's one super black hawk and a redhawk. Both models do well with hot loads.
Old August 11, 2010, 10:02 PM   #13
jglsprings

Speak of the devil...

Summit Gun Broker Anaconda

Later edit...

Oops!

It's a 45 LC - not a 44 sorry.

Commas save lives...
Old August 12, 2010, 01:24 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Don't overlook the SA Super Blackhawk. It has a non fluted cylinder, better suited for heavy loads.
One of my uncles worked up some incredibly hot 350 grain (jacketed)* loads for his 9.5"(?) Super Redhawk in .44 Mag.

At the time, I still believed there was merit to such things, and shot a full cylinder's worth in my 7.5" Super Blackhawk to prove that I was "man enough". That was an incredibly painful learning experience.
1: Never use his reloads. They are waaaaayy beyond max loads.
2: Never use his reloads in your own guns. You like these guns, right?
3: Super Blackhawks don't weigh enough for artillery-grade loads.

This feat was repeated by several of my brothers a few years later (while I was away in the military). The idiots shot the very same load (that my uncle destroyed a scope with on the Super Redhawk - if that tells you how hot it was). None of us walked away from that SBH and 350 grain load with undamaged knuckles.

The same ugliness has been seen a few times with other loads, as well. It's just a bad grip design to be using for really hot loads.

There is no question about it - The Super Blackhawk can handle incredibly powerful loads. The grips and trigger guard, however, don't get along with many shooters' hands.

*Don't ask. I have absolutely no idea what the 350 grain bullet was, or where he got it. It was a soft point pistol bullet, though, that resembled a Sierra jacket design. That's all I know.
Old August 12, 2010, 05:58 AM   #15
Supermagfan

How about Dan Wesson? They can handle about any load that has been put together and are heavy enough to shoot them with beating the shooter. I know they are nut current production, but neither is Colt. I also do own a 629 S&W and under repeated heavy shooting it starts to shake loose as well. Just my thoughts.
Old August 12, 2010, 08:22 AM   #16
Chesster

I put a bisley grip on an old Ruger BH .45 and shot several hundred 300+ grain heavy loads in it. No problem for the gun. I did have to have a couple of fillings replaced in my teeth.

My 5.5 Redhawk in .44 handled heavy loads with ease. These days, with age and arthritis, I pretty much load down to special levels in my .44 and .41s.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old August 12, 2010, 09:48 AM   #17
troy_mclure

ive shot 400gr loads from my black hawk.just a couple.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old August 12, 2010, 02:10 PM   #18
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

With Dan Wesson I have over sized target grips to handle that problem, My S&W has Pachmayr grips to solve that problem. With my Super Blackhawk I wear gloves. Just little adjustments you make.

Also after having the gun back from the gunsmith the 3rd time you are older and decide all your loads do NOT have to be super duper 'knock down a tree and build a house with the kindling' powerful.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 12, 2010, 07:35 PM   #19
the foot

My Ruger Redhawk handles hot heavy loads accurately with no problem, for the last 27 years. I believe you can't beat it for overall 44 Mag performance.
Old August 13, 2010, 12:38 AM   #20
Charger Fan

Quote:
Supermagfan wrote;
How about Dan Wesson? They can handle about any load that has been put together and are heavy enough to shoot them with beating the shooter.
I must agree. With my 240gr FMJ H110 reloads, I've become accustomed to almost mild recoil with my 10" barrel Dan Wesson.

I'm also an enthusiastic proponent of the Ruger SBH...I prefer mine with the 10.5" barrels. They're a BLAST to shoot!

Old August 13, 2010, 12:51 AM   #21
Jimmy10mm

I'd like to get one of those new special edition Ruger 44spls. Nice and light to carry and can be hand loaded hot but not so hot as to be uncomfortable to shoot. I like a gun that I want to shoot 50 rounds out of rather than 10 and my elbow is aching again.