The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 6, 2010, 08:53 AM   #1
IMTHDUKE

Even the so called experts get it wrong

This is just so you will know. Even Robar refininshers that I am sure disassembles and reassembles 100s of guns....gets it wrong.

I received this one back from Robar and the finish was outstanding.

I wanted to go right to the range and fire it, but took it home and was holding it and the guide rod slips out, oops. Long story short....after breaking it down they had put the guide rod spring in backwards....

Moral of story...don't even trust the "experts" to get it right...check it yourself.
I plan to call them Monday and give then what for.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old June 6, 2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Hoss Fly

Quote:
I'd let them know about it to BUT i would'nt "BURN ANY BRIDGES"
Old June 6, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
jhenry

Did you pay them to refinish the thing? Was the finish to your liking, and worth what you paid? Was anything broken? I see no harm and no foul. It was a very simple mistake which was caught by you with a normal function check, which is something we should all do when getting a firearm back from having work done.
Old June 6, 2010, 01:49 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would like to say I never assembled a gun wrong, but I can't. I can say that I never let one get out of the shop that way, or at least that I knew about. I always checked, double checked, and test fired every gun I repaired, worked on, or refinished. I skipped test firing only on antiques that I had a reasonable idea would never be fired or used for defense.

Jim
Old June 6, 2010, 02:02 PM   #5
jersey_emt

So they put the guide rod spring backwards on a gun that is not seen very often (not nearly as ubiquitous as Glocks, 1911's, XD's, etc.). What do you think you will gain by lodging a complaint? The person who, by your own words, did an outstanding job on what you paid them to do (refinish the gun), might undeservedly get chewed out by their boss if you report this "mistake".

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old June 6, 2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

So, you are happy with the job they did but upset because the spring was put in backward? I don't believe I'd call and give them a what for over something simple like that. Your complaint is pretty minor.
Old June 6, 2010, 04:31 PM   #7
1goodshot

The finish looks great, is that the NP plus? I have a gun in there now an cant wait to get it back. I would maybe cut them some slack, looks like an easy thing to get backwards if you dont work on to many of them.
Old June 6, 2010, 04:46 PM   #8
IMTHDUKE

It's the NP finish. And yes, I understand you can get it backward, however, the assembly instruction are online at the Robrbaugh site, in case you are not sure how it goes together.

You will enjoy the finish.....they do great work...make sure you field strip it before firing after you get it back.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old June 6, 2010, 04:52 PM   #9
IMTHDUKE

Quote:
Your complaint is pretty minor
Yes, if it's not your gun that could have been damaged.

Minor, maybe,....they need to know so they have opportunity to correct their mistakes.
Old June 6, 2010, 05:51 PM   #10
losijon

I can't believe the majority of you are dismissing this like you are. No it's not the end of the world but he has every right to call them and express his frustration. They are the ones who took it apart,it is THEIR JOB to put it back together correctly and yes when you are dealing with a firearm especially you should take the extra time to make sure it is put back together correctly so if the guy who did it's gets a little bit of a reaming because of it then so be it. Too bad you guys think half done work is acceptable.
Old June 6, 2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Mr Kris

Quote:
Minor, maybe,....they need to know so they have opportunity to correct their mistakes.
I agree. In the same situation, I'd call them up politely to let the know of the error. Just to let them know, as you say, so that they pay more attention next time.

I wouldn't be upset myself if it happened to me, but do feel that it's appropriate to let people know of errors they commit, even if minor. Otherwise, how does one expect them to improve?
Old June 6, 2010, 08:01 PM   #12
geetarman

Call them up and bring the error to their attention. If you bust their chops over this, both you and they will dig in your heels and draw a line in the sand.

You will not help your cause. Is that what you really want to do?

The goal IMO should be to try to make sure it does not occur again.

Geetarman
Old June 6, 2010, 09:45 PM   #13
IMTHDUKE

Quote:
You will not help your cause. Is that what you really want to do?

The goal IMO should be to try to make sure it does not occur again.
My cause is to point out their screw up so that they put guns back together and send them back the same way they received. Not sure what you mean by "draw a line in the sand"....I don't even draw well

I run a business, and if I screw up I wanna know so I can correct the mistake and not do it again. Will I use Robar again? Probably....will I point out their error? Certainly
Old June 7, 2010, 06:55 AM   #14
geetarman

What I mean by "drawing a line in the sand" means hardening your position so that meaningful dialogue is impossible.

If you jump in their face about what you say they did, both of you will close the doors to getting the problem fixed without hard feelings on either side.

They did you wrong. Bring it to their attention. You do not have to beat them to death with the fact.

You say you run a business. Your people can make mistakes too. Do you want someone coming in a proclaiming loudly to every one what a shoddy operation you run? Of course not. Wouldn't you rather have someone calmly let you know what happened to alert you to the problem so you can fix and prevent it from happening again?

Praise in public and admonish in private. It works in the military, works in raising kids and it works in business.

Geetarman
Old June 7, 2010, 07:31 AM   #15
IMTHDUKE

Quote:
Praise in public and admonish in private. It works in the military, works in raising kids and it works in business.
And that is exactly what I intend to do.....as a U. S. Marine officer I understand that concept quite well.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:14 AM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Quote:

Quote:
I agree with you on this on point. I also get the feeling that you aren't going to read them the riot act (or give them the what for) but just give them some polite feedback which is certainly the better route to take.

Good luck with your call.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:26 AM   #17
geetarman

Let us know the outcome.

Most firms know that bad news or bad reviews spread like wildfire and are hard to stop.

Good news and good service may be slower to spread but the payoffs are greater.

Geetarman
Old June 7, 2010, 09:32 AM   #18
nefprotector

I have just one question. Why do these little guns cost so darn much? I dispise the mag release as well.... Thats so outdated...
Old June 7, 2010, 09:51 AM   #19
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I have just one question. Why do these little guns cost so darn much?
Because it's the smallest/lightest 9 mm pistol on the market. You've heard of the "point of diminishing returns"? Well for most people, this pistol is beyond that point.

If you're willing to go a little bit heavier or a little bit larger, you have lots of choices for hundreds of dollars less. But if you want the absolute smallest & lightest, right now it's a Rohrbaugh.
Old June 7, 2010, 10:06 AM   #20
dgludwig

Quote:
I have just one question. Why do these little guns cost so darn much?
The short answer is because people are willing to pay the price. But I agree with the tone of your question in that, for the life of me, I cannot see how it costs that much to manufacture a pistol that isn't so much different from pistols that cost half as much.
Old June 7, 2010, 10:15 AM   #21
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I cannot see how it costs that much to manufacture a pistol that isn't so much different from pistols that cost half as much.
It's not the manufacturing that costs so much - it's the R&D costs that have to be recouped. There's a lot of design and testing that goes into making a semi-automatic pistol that small that's also reliable and accurate. If it were easy, someone else would have come out with one that's smaller or cheaper. As it is, the R9 is probably close to the limit for how small a 9 mm can be.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; June 7, 2010 at 03:04 PM.