The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Kelly J

45 Colt Components

I'm thinking of working up a new load for my 45's and here are the components I am thinking of using:
Brass: New Magtech
Primer: Magtech LP
Bullet: 250GR HDY HP/XTP
Bullet: 250/260GR SWC
Powder: Universal
Powder: 2400
Powder: HP-38
Powder: AA-#5

Brass trimmed to 1.280"
COL 1.595"

Any thoughts on these components
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams
Old May 4, 2006, 11:12 AM   #2
WIL TERRY

If You Assemble Them In The Right Proportions,

They will all work just fine. What is it exactly you are looking for ??
Old May 4, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3
AlaskaMike

What kind of gun is it? A Ruger Redhawk can handle much stronger loads than a SAA or clone, for example.

Mike
Old May 4, 2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Kelly J

AlaskaMike

The weapon is of no concern at this point in time I'm just trying to get a feel for the components, to see if there is any negativity out there on any of these.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams
Old May 4, 2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Kelly J

Wil Terry

Feedback on the components to see if I should maybe consider some other items.
--Samuel Adams
Old May 4, 2006, 05:09 PM   #6
rnovi

Brass: Starline - but maggie is good too.
Primer: Federal for me.
Bullet: 250GR HDY HP/XTP: Good deer bullet. Not so good for hogs.
Bullet: 250/260GR SWC: yep, also try some 300gr lead bullets at around 800fps.
Powder: Universal Clays: Good stuff. Good for mod loads
Powder: 2400: I love 2400.
Powder: Tightgroup for the light stuff in a big case.

Truthfully, I'd ditch the extra powder and settle on just three powders at most. Or just two really. UC and 2400 will do anything you want/need comfortably.

I like Federal primers - I don't bother with anything else.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old May 4, 2006, 10:09 PM   #7
Kelly J

movi

I had forgotten about the Universal Clays, may have to add that one to the mix. At this point in time I don't want to discard anything as I have three Weapons I will be loading for all same caliber but different nun the less.

Have you done much work with Titegroup if so what Cal., and bullet weights?
--Samuel Adams
Old May 5, 2006, 02:19 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

.45 Colt

Ruger Blackhawk (convertible) 7.5in bbl. 250gr SWC (hard). Unique. Standard primers (CCI or Win). CLocks 1070fps. Does everything I could want a .45 Colt to do, and accurate in my gun. I won't list the powder charge, but it is at the max end for .45 Colt (Not Ruger only).

If I want something heavier, I could load it, but after years of playing that game, I have finally decided to settle on this one load. Hits hard, penetrates well, is accurate to about 200 yards (havent shot it further), and is not unpleasant to shoot. If I need something heavier, I'll use a different caliber.

I don't play cowboy games, and even if I did, I would still use this load. I don't believe in loading light for playing games (everyone else does, apparently). I think loading light to get faster recovery time is not playing fair. I don't mean to say it is cheating, it isn't,l but I think the game should be played with full power ammo. Then when you get fast, you have actually done something worthwhile. I mean, if (besides accuracy) speed was the most important thing, why not use .22s?

OK, if the rule was it had to match the original black powder velocity, then I would load down a little.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:38 AM   #9
Kelly J

44amp

I'm sure your load is everything you say it is, but it is above my personal limit at this point, but I do appreciate the input, as to the CAS it is my understanding that it is a game to touch the nalstalga of days gone by, and there fore the loads and weapons as well as the attitre are all part of the rules, and it is apparently not upsetting to many folks as the CAS is the fastest growing game in the country, I don't know if the heavier loads are acceptable or not but to be honest I doubt it.

I hate the standard game of skeet because it is so predictable (the flight of the birds), but I do dearly enjoy Wobble Skeet, now that is a fun game. But as with other things the rules are the rules, so for now wobble skeet isn't available everywhere, wish it was.

Didn't mean to get off there.
--Samuel Adams
Old May 5, 2006, 11:07 AM   #10
AlaskaMike

Regarding 44 AMP's load of 250 gr. SWC at 1070 fps:
Quote:
I'm sure your load is everything you say it is, but it is above my personal limit at this point
This is what I was trying to get a feel for when I was asking what gun you'll be shooting these loads in. Any feedback is completely dependant on your goals for the load's purpose and intended velocity. Given that 44 AMP's load is outside the parameters you're going for, I think you might as well scratch 2400 from your list. You can certainly make it work for sub-1000 fps velocity, but the other powders you list will be much better.

Mike
Old May 5, 2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Kelly J

Alaska Mike

Here goes the story I have three different weapons all in 45 Colt one is a Old Model Ruger Vaquero 4 5/8" Barrel. another is a S&W 625-9 Mountain Gun 4" Barrel, and the last is a Uberti 1873 Winchester 73 Clone with a 24 1/4" barrel, do you still think I should scrap the 2400 Powder. Components in question, were to test the viability of each one not what load I was or was not going to put together, not trying to be argumentative but my only concern was "Are these Components Viable for the 45Colt, irreguardless of any data for assembly". I appreciate any and all feedback but you were answering or at least trying to answer a load question that had not been posed, Do you have any reservations of the use of any of these components to load a 45Caliber Colt round?
--Samuel Adams
Old May 5, 2006, 08:13 PM   #12
Rico567

I load .45 Colt for a 4 5/8" Vaquero and a 24" Uberti 1892 clone. I use a pretty moderate load that shoots well in both with a 250 gr. Meister LRNFP. I've never shot jacketed bullets in either. It's 8 gr. Universal, which is supposed to be about equivalent to 8 gr. Unique, just not as dirty. 8 gr. Unique was always touted as being comparable to the 40 gr. of black powder they stuffed into the balloon-head cases in the old days. (40 gr. of black will not fit into a modern .45 Colt solid-head case)

- Mark Twain
Old May 7, 2006, 06:31 PM   #13
Mannlicher

its all just guess work unless you have an idea for what revolver you will use the load in, and what your intended use for the round it. Idle speculation can be fun, but its still just idle speculation.
None of your choices for components are bad, or inherently inappropriate, depending on what you want to do with it all.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 7, 2006, 06:53 PM   #14
WhitSpurzon

So far my most accurate 45 Colt load in my 4-5/8" Blackhawk is a 250-255g lead bullet over 10.4 g (the published MAX for this bullet) of AA#5. Gets me 861 fps (avg). I can shoot 100 rounds and not feel beat up and if I do my part will produce some nice groups.

At 50 yards I shot a 3-1/4" (c-c) 5 shot group counting the flier. Let me throw out the flier and it shrinks to under 2". Not bad for a easy to carry and fun to shoot gun that makes nice big holes.

I like 2400 in 44 Rem Mag but haven't tried it (yet) in 45 Colt.
Old May 8, 2006, 01:12 AM   #15
Kelly J

Rico567

No personal afront intended but, inthis situation I was only interested in the components that I have selected to use to work up a load and was only asking if there was any negative feedback on then, example: the brass won't hold up or the primers are not reliable, I'm not ready to put anything together as yet but I will be soon. I appreciate your input and it does not go unnoticed that you are willing to offer some advice and help, as that is why I joined the forum was for this reason and I have gotten some very good input to date and some that was premature but nun the less well intentioned.
--Samuel Adams
Old May 8, 2006, 01:17 AM   #16
Kelly J

Mannlicher

I won't comment on the first part of your reply except to thank you for responding, but to the second part thank you for your response as to the components, as that is the answer I was looking for, I appreciate it very much.
--Samuel Adams
Old May 8, 2006, 01:26 AM   #17
Kelly J

Whitspurzon

Well indirectly you let me know that the 250-255Gr Bullets are ok, that AA#5 Powder is useful, and has showed some degree of accuracy, thats good, your group is very impressive at 50 Yds. but you failed to mention what scope you were using.
I haven't tried the 2400 Powder yet myself but hope to find a use for it, if applicable. thanks for you input.
--Samuel Adams
Old May 8, 2006, 10:22 AM   #18
AlaskaMike

Quote:
do you still think I should scrap the 2400 Powder.
As I mentioned, you can certainly make 2400 work for your intended velocity (less than 1000 fps), but the other powders you mentioned will be better for that purpose. Downloading 2400 that much will make it burn relatively dirty, where the others will burn cleaner and might be more consistent.

Does that mean that 2400 is not viable for .45 Colt? Not at all--it works great in my Redhawk under 255 grain Lasercast SWCs. But those are rather warm loads, and the other three powders you list would be better given your velocity goal, particularly Universal.

Mike
Old May 8, 2006, 06:28 PM   #19
Kelly J

AlaskaMike

It seems that I have confused the issue here in two ways one, I listed 2400 Powder and two, I stated a Velocity Range between 800 and 900 FPS, so I'm going to make it real simple I'm going to remove the 2400 Powder from the equasion so that it is no longer an issue, that should simplify the whole thing.
--Samuel Adams
Old May 8, 2006, 06:35 PM   #20
Kelly J

45 Colt Componrents

I want to thank every one for your imput and tell you I appreciate the information you have offered and rest assured I do respect your Advice & Suggestions.

I think it is past time to close this thread and go to work on my loads, not 100% sure where I'm going to start but to quote some Oreintal Phlosiphy, "The Longest Journey Begians With A Single Step" so here I go.
--Samuel Adams
Old May 9, 2006, 09:10 AM   #21
Sport45

Never mind.
Old May 21, 2006, 09:07 AM   #22
EastKY_DO

Chiming In

I've had very good results using Starline .45 Colt cases, WLP primers, Laser Cast 255gr SWCs and 7.5 gr of HP-38 for about 890 fps or using 17.5 gr of 2400. I haven't clocked the 2400 load since my chrony is back at the company for repairs. It's a little warmer than the HP-38 load, but definitely not a 'magnum' load. Both loads have been very accurate for me out of a 5.5" Blackhawk.

my 2 cents worth . . .

Doc
Old May 21, 2006, 08:40 PM   #23
Kelly J

EastKY_DO

Real sorry for taking so long to respond to your reply, but have been occupied with computers and such. I'm starting to lean more to the Starline brass as opposed to the Magtech but not a solid commitment yet, the other thing I am looking at is 255 gr SWC, and 260/265 gr SWC Lead Bullets, also thinking of trying these powders Hodgdon, Universal, Titegroup, HP-38, Clays, and I might even throw in some International.

Still undesided about Primmers as I have been using Win. LP with out any problems, so I may stick with them.

One thing that has confused me is I know that in Rifle Reloading the rule is never stray from the published Components, or powder recipe. It seems that with Pistol and Recolver that is not as strict a guide but not thrown to the wind eigther.
--Samuel Adams
Old May 24, 2006, 01:05 AM   #24
djl4570

I have loaded many thousands of rounds of .45 Colt with AA#5 and found it an excellent powder for medium power loads in my S&W N Frames. The original free Accurate Arms loading guide listed a max of 11.5g for 250g jacketed bullets. I worked up loads for both the 255g SWC and a Hornady XTP using 11.1g. The AA loading manual that came out a couple of years later after I developed the above load lists a max of 10.4g, so while my load has proved itself safe and accurate in the guns I own; I do not recommend it to others without a disclaimer.

HP-38 is too much like Olin-231, OK for very light loads but not all that interesting to me.

I have put together some some outstanding loads using HS7 with data from Lyman #47. I don't know what kind of pressure these created but a 255g Oregon Trail SWC chronographed out of a six inch barrel at an average of 1086fps.

The next powder I am going to explore is HS6. On paper it looks a lot like AA#5 and maybe a bit slower. I'm only about half way through the last eight pound keg of AA#5 I bought so it might be awhile before I get around to HS6.

Bullets:
Oregon Trail 255g SWC
Western Nevada 255g SWC
Ike Paa (Bullets Bullets Bullets) 255g SWC (No longer in business)
Cast Bullet Performance 265g WFNGC (Wide Flat Nose Gas Check)
Hornady 250g XTP
Sierra 240g JHC (Jacketed Hollow Cavity)

I use mostly WLP and some Federal 150 primers. I compared primers some time ago and found the WLP's produced more consistent velocities.
Old May 28, 2006, 10:48 AM   #25
Kelly J

djl4570

First let me appoligize for not responding sooner but I have been building a computer for my reloading room, and it has taken much too long. I have not yet used the AA#5 Powder but have heard some good reports on it and as to the HP-38 it is good in the 40 S&W and 10mmAuto. Don't know about the HS-7.
My experiance with the HS-6 is not yet concluded but that is for another day.

I have to go through and compile all your guys suggestions to a file that I can readily refer to as some times it just isn't convientant to run (walk very slowly) up stairs to my main computer to retrieve Info. I need to get it orginized into groups of headings, like tips, CAUTIONS, Suggestions, ETC.

It is amazing to me the amount of helpfull hints,cautions, and advice I have gotten here. Thanks to all.

Where about in Nothern Calif?
--Samuel Adams