The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 2, 2001, 08:59 PM   #1
rugerfreak

CVA inlines???

I was looking at the smoke poles in the Cabela's catalog and I noticed the CVA inlines(Eclipse 209 Magnum) for $119.99-----these take 3 pellets and use a 209 primer. Any experiences or opinions on these??
Old August 6, 2001, 11:11 AM   #2
rugerfreak

Nobody has bought one of these yet???
Old August 7, 2001, 03:21 PM   #3
jpm63

Perhaps the old axiom "you get what you pay for" best applies here. A $100 CVA is not likley to be a highly prised weapon.

If your looking to get into ML shooting, I'd suggest looking for a used Thomson Center gun. You will have a better piece for not much more money. With a few exceptions, CVA is close to the bottom of the barrel (my opinion, worth what every you want).

JPM
Old August 8, 2001, 09:39 AM   #4
cjc

I own a CVA Traditional gun - I have no experiance with their in-lines so take this for what it is worth.

I believe CVA puts a good barrel on their guns and in my opinion that is the single most important part of the gun. The remaining components are decent, but not top of the line - therefore you can save some $$$. What this boils down to is the gun will most likely shoot as well as any of the more expensive ML, but it won't look as good, won't last as long, or take as much abuse as a quality gun will.

My CVA has given me no problems at all. I hunted with it for two years and still use it as a loaner or back up gun. I paid something like $75 NIB and have had no regrets - I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I didn't expect to have the best ML in the field, but the gun as proven itself to be more than adequate for hunting.

If you aren't sure about muzzleloading or don't have the $$$ CVA - in my opinion - is a good way to go. If you get a CVA gun and really get into black powder you'll end up upgrading in a few years - if you decide its not for you then you haven't invested as much, and won't feel bad about leaving it behind.
Old August 9, 2001, 12:51 AM   #5
fastforty

I second cjc. My CVC inline has been a hoot to shoot, and I LOVE shooting BP. I went with a slightly higher priced model, but the bbl is probably the same. I was happy that I got a scopeable gun, as round balls & conicals shoot to a different point. I keep the open sights set for round balls, & the scope is set for conicals, on top of a see-through mount. Accuracy is good, knockdown is impressive, & I've never had a problem with it. I'm more than "not disappointed", I'm happy with it. Again, I second everything that cjc said, but that's just my .02, as I don't have any experience with any other brand.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:20 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sorry, but I never caught onto inlines & I'm too old fashion for those modern smokepoles. Granted, they have merit and it's a matter of personal taste (and for some, budget).
Old August 12, 2001, 05:58 PM   #7
biganimal

as a dealer i have sold over 60 of these cva inlines and have no customer complaints. I even have one regular customer that has bought 7 from me , 5 eclipse and 2 hunterbolts.
dollar for dollar they cannot be beat. I own four smokepoles myself and my eclipse is as accurate and reliable as my other 3 rifles which are a $500 remington reproduction, a T/C greyhawk, and a 50 cal Knight. I own the remington because it is ok for nssa and the knight because as a dealer I could buy it for a song and the T/C was a gun a customer ordered and didn't want. I will most likely only buy cva from now on as I now know there is not much truth to the crap that you have to spend a ton of cash to have a good gun !!! I shoot my eclipse often and would put it against any other smokepole on the market today.....not bragging , just stating fact !
Old August 14, 2001, 12:43 PM   #8
Tropical Z

CVA's are unbeatable for the money.I have the Eclipse Musketmag 100.Buy one and don't look back.