The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Pottermountainman

Berger 130gr VLD hunting for 270 win

Has anyone used this bullet for white tail? I'm I'm going to load them up in front of some imr4350 and need some feedback befour I order them. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Savage99

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a report that mentions the Berger VLD bullet on deer.

"Here is a report on TSX type bullets by John Barsness.

"To everybody who has shared their experiences with TSX's, thanks very much. Most of the time they will kill deer-sized game very well, especially in larger diameters like 7mm and .30. I was specificaly addressing my experience with the .25 caliber 100-grain TSX--which is considerable, both in the .257 Roberts and .257 Weatherby.

I have seen it do very well, in fact once saw it drop a 3x3 mule deer buck right now with a high lung shot at about 150 yards. But I have also seen some animals not drop so fast with similar shot placement.

The reason for our "disagreements" probably lies in the fact that I have seen a whole lot of game taken with TSX's. Most of the time they kill very well, but sometimes they do not, and when they don't the animal is likely to go a ways, in my experience further than with any other type of bullet.

I have been pacing off how far animals have gone after a solid double-lung hit for many years. Animals hit with Barnes X's (whether the old-style or TSX), Fail Safes, E-Tips or whatever "petal" type bullet have gone an average of just over 50 yards. Those hit with bullets that expand wider, or lose some weight, haven't gone as far.

The bullet that had dropped animals the quickest with lung shots has been the Berger VLD, at around 20 yards. Those averages include lung hits that drop animals instantly--and the highest percentage of instant drops also goes to the VLD, a bullet that normally comes completely apart, but only after penetrating a couple of inches.

I am primarily a meat hunter and do not deliberately aim for the shoulder/spine unless there is some real reason to drop it right there. But I have used that shot on a bunch of animals, and it doesn't take a TSX or other super-bullet to do the trick. I've done it with a bunch of bullets, including such "ordinary" bullets as the Hornady Interlock to the round-nosed Remington Core-Lokt.

All I am doing here is relate my experiences with various bullets. I've seen around 150 animals taken with TSX's, and my statements that it sometimes doesn't kill as quickly as wider-expanding lead cores are based on that experience.

If you are a TSX true believer, who's convinced that exit holes in the hide somehow kill quicker than massive destruction of the lungs, then you are also welcome to your opinion. You're also welcome to shoot shoulder-shoot all the deer you want. But I happen to disagree on both counts, and my disagreement is based on quite a bit of experience.

Please note that I NEVER said TSX's are bad bullets, anwyhere in this thread. They are very fine bullets, and paricularly good for certain jobs, especially on really big game. But I have not found them ideal on deer."
Old March 2, 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Pottermountainman

Thanks!! Savage99. I really appreciate your input. I think I'm going to get a box or two of those VLD's. I'm a big nosler fan but the weather has been horrible for about a month now and as a result I'm nearly out of reloading components. Thanks for welcoming me to the forum too! It's nice to have a place like this to ask folks.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:26 AM   #4
old roper

Pottermountainman, One problem you run into with Berger 130gr VLD for the 270 is barrel twist as Berger Rec a 1/11.
NRA Life Member
Old March 2, 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
603Country

I shoot em in the lungs also, and haven't lost a 'hit' deer in years (maybe even decades) and that deer total is somewhere between 200 and 300. I'll admit to missing one this year at about 80 yards. I still can't believe it, but I missed. Anyway, I use Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tips and I get very rapid kills and I get exit wounds and blood trails. Usually the blood trail is less than 30 yards, but every now and then I'll shoot one of those tough old 250 pound Bucks that are solid muscle and gristle and they don't die without a fight. The last one of those ran 75 yards, but it was into a dense briar thicket, and it was right at dusk. That's when you really want a blood trail. I found the blood, which told me that I had hit him in the lungs, and then I finally found him. I dragged him forever. And when I got back to the right-of-way I was hunting on, I had lost a good bit of blood to that briar thicket. You do want an exit wound.
Old March 2, 2012, 03:49 PM   #6
kraigwy

I've tried them, (Bergers in both 130 & 150), but I don't find them any better in my Model 70 Wincherster then Hornady's SSTs accuracty wise.

I haven't shot the Bergers on critters since the SSTs works so well.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 2, 2012, 05:09 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
One problem you run into with Berger 130gr VLD for the 270 is barrel twist as Berger Rec a 1/11.
Ah, but their 150's work well with a 1 in 10 ..... and don't suffer from the explosive disintegration on the closer shots ...... and with their higher BC, their trajaectory is nearly the same, despite a lower starting velocity.
Old March 2, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
hooligan1

603 country, try the Accubond for those 250 lber's, you get both holes brother!!
Old March 2, 2012, 07:02 PM   #9
603Country

Thanks Hooligan, but I stocked up some years ago on the 130 grain Ballistic Tips and heaven knows when I'll ever run out. And now that I'm such a fan of my stumpy barreled 260 Ruger, it might be a while before I drag the 270 out of the safe. Anyway, I almost always get an exit wound with the 130 grain Ballistic Tips. And like I said, when I hit them with the 270 they don't go far. No need to pay more for a fancier bullet.
Old March 2, 2012, 07:10 PM   #10
hooligan1

I hear you man, I used the B-tips for twenty-plus years and we still use them in various rifles, but I wanted to use this bonded type bullet,(in case I ever hunt for something a little bigger) and knowing that there will be the same accuracy (or better) and penetrate more,,,, Its just a cool bullet that works very well on whitetails, and should work well also with some african plains game. ( like I'd ever get to go) It all boils down to confidence, don't it?
Old March 2, 2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Pottermountainman

Thanks agin for all the input fellas! Now for the noslers, I've always used the bt's but I'd like to try the accubond. Are they a beter bullet down range on the white tail? Can't field test on anything but dogs and hogs this time of the year. So once agin guys all your input is very apreciated. By the way I want to stick with 130gr bullets if I can.
Old March 2, 2012, 07:41 PM   #12
603Country

Yep, hooligan, confidence is something that doesn't get talked about much. Confidence to me is knowing where my bullet is going to hit at 200, and what the drop is after that. If I have that, I really don't expect to miss. Still...sometimes the unexpected happens.

And some people hunt with just the vaguest idea of where their bullet strike is at 100 yards. I have never understood why anyone would do that.

and Potterman, I'm pretty sure that the Accubond will do all that the BT will do, and still hold together better. I just don't feel the need to spend the extra money for what I'd consider to be overkill (not really trying for a pun on that one).
Old March 2, 2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Pottermountainman

Amen! Confidence is key. Without it we have no business pointing guns at anything. As for the bullets, I think ill order a box of bergers for the dogs and a box of accubonds for the venison.