The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2010, 02:19 AM   #1
beertv

Need Help with my Hornady Lock n Load Press

So I have a new Hornady Lock n load progressive press and I have the auto case feeder. So the problem is that if I have the shell plate spring that holds the cases in, if I have it OFF of the press then the auto case feeder ram pushes the cases right into the slot for the shell plate. BUT if I put the spring back on, around the shell plate lower rim, then the cases slide into the mouth of the shell plate but the cases ride up on the spring and make the cases jam into the shell plate mouth. I do not see a way to fix this problem. I am rather ticked off at Hornady for how it has been two weeks since I sent in a long description of my problem and they have yet to send me an email back as to how to fix this issue. I am NOT the only one with this problem I am sure. I have been reloading for 20 years and have set up lots of presses and I just do not see a way to fix this problem. Can someone tell me how I might fix this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Don
Old September 11, 2010, 05:37 AM   #2
Shoney

beertv

WELCOME TO TFL!!!

You have an excellent press, I've had mine around 10 years. I am not familiar with the setup of the case feeder attachment into station 1.

On all the LNL AP's that I have seen and used, guides feed the spring under the plate between station 5 and 1, to allow the cases to be inserted at station 1. It then comes up to hold the cases in place for priming (station 1/2 if you will) and for stations 2-4 and begins to go under the plate at station 5.

If you have troubles, do not hesitate to call Hornady Customer Service, the toll free number should be in your manual.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old September 11, 2010, 07:04 AM   #3
LOUD

Hey Beertv, I suspect what Shoney said is the root of your problem ,the case reainer spring is under the shell plate between stations 1 and 5 visible around the entire rest of the shell plate. .Remedy: put the shell plate on ,and with your fingers hold the retainer spring down so as to force it to go under the shell plate while cycling the press foward with the handle with your other hand, when the sping tucks under area between the aformentioned stations , your retiner spring is properly installed. I never had a poblem with hornady customer service. good luck .....LOUD
Old September 11, 2010, 03:53 PM   #4
beertv

I figured out the problem!!

So I would like to thank you guys for the comments, it got me to go back and take a look at the retaining spring and the shell plate again. I was getting the retaining spring down in the groove so that it was under the shell plate but the spring was still pushing up just enough that it made the cases hit the top of the spring and cause a jam at the mouth of the shell plate. So I put another shell plate on that was for another caliber (45) and it worked like glass no jamming at all. Then when I watched the spring with this plate it was clear what the problem was. On my #16 shell plate the bottom of the plate has a ridge that presses down on the spring to keep it from hitting the cases as they cross the spring. This shell plate was defective! It was not holding the retaining spring down enough. I went and bought another shell plate, same #16 and it works like glass. Problem fixed. I would say there is some quality control problem with the plates. Anyway I am glad to have it working now. It is a great press from what I can tell so far. Thanks guys for the help.
Old September 11, 2010, 06:12 PM   #5
noylj

Call Hornady and tell them your problem and that your plate is mis-machined. They need to know and will most likely thank you in some way...

Tags
case feeder , hornady , lock n load , reloading press