The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 10, 2006, 02:07 AM   #1
trooper3385

Savage Model 99 question

My dad purchased a Savage model 99 with the detachable mag in a 308 last year (tang safety). The first time he took it to the range, he fired 5 or 6 rounds without a problem. I don't know what the trigger pull was, but it had a hair trigger on it. Anyway, after several rounds, he was shooting another and when he pulled the trigger, nothing happened. He flipped it back to safety and fire several times and tried it again with no luck. After pulling it back on safety, he pushed it back on fire and it torched a round off without pulling the trigger. He sent it to a gun smith and supposedly had the problem fixed. After getting it back, he started to work the trigger and safety the same way at the house, unloaded this time. Same problem again. Same problem, wouldn't go off. Put it on safety and back to fire and the firing pin would release. Back to a different gun smith. The problem was supposedly fixed again, however, the trigger pull is way to heavy now. Anyway, the gun has since been giving to me. I've fired about 40 rounds through it without a problem. I wanted to get the trigger adjusted, but have been afraid to, do to the problems before. A couple of weeks ago I was at the range. I pulled the trigger, and it sounded like the firing pin dropped, but nothing. Kinda sounded like a dry fire, but not near as loud. Then, I just barely touched the trigger and the gun went off. It seemed like the trigger pull was just a few ounces. Hasn't done it since. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is. I'm not a gunsmith and the only thing I can think of is the trigger pull was reduced to much by a previous owner and it has messed up the safety on it.
Old May 10, 2006, 02:45 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

correct

I would advise you to take to a smith that knows how to work on the Savage 99. The reason the pull is heavier is that the last smith was on the right train of thought on his fix of the problem. It can get dangerous as it the pull gets lighter simply because there won't be enough sear engagement to keep the gun from firing when you try to pull the trigger while the gun is on safe and then push the safety off. Make sure the next guy really knows what he is doing by asking him for references. If he is up to snuff, he should be able to give you several and make sure to call them and ask what kind of problem he fixed for them and if they had any future problems with it. Best of luck with it
Old May 12, 2006, 02:19 AM   #3
trooper3385

Another question. Does anyone have any idea what the twist rate is on a Savage 99C in a 308.
Old May 12, 2006, 02:09 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

I would think it would be a 1in 12

I would think it would be a 1 in 12" to keep you on the light side of .308 bullets, but you can easily check it yourself. Use a cleaning rod, a good patch and a jag. Make a dot on the top of the cleaning rod back toward the handle and make a line across the rod where it enters the barrel. Push the cleaning jag and patch into the barrel and stop when the dot comes back up to the top again. Mark where it is at the barrel and remove the jag. Measure how far it moved and that is a good estimate of the twist of the barrel.