The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Martowski

TZ-75 Series 88: Same As Small Frame Witness?

Hey all,

Is the TZ-75 Series 88 basically the same thing as a small frame Witness? I used to have a Witness small frame 9mm a long time ago and this pistol looks almost identical (with the exception of cosmetic slide cuts and such)?

Any opinions on these pistols from TZ users?
Old February 7, 2014, 12:15 AM   #2
armoredman

The TZ-75 is the same gun - Tanfoglio of Italy imported thier famous CZ clones under several names, TA-90, TZ-75, Springfield P-9, EAA Witness, and at least one other I can't remember of the top of my head...
The older Tans were slightly upgraded CZ clones, and should be able to use 15 round CZ magazines, (possibly not the newer 16 rounders), and some CZ grips and holsters for the standard CZ -75.
Old February 7, 2014, 11:11 AM   #3
g.willikers

The TZ-75 was also imported by F.I.E. of Florida,up until they closed in 1990.
Old February 10, 2014, 12:05 PM   #4
armoredman

Yeah, one importer, same as Excam was an importer of the TA-90. Same gun.
Old February 10, 2014, 12:55 PM   #5
RX-79G

CZ mags sorta, kinda work, but the correct mag is the small frame Witness/Baby Eagle/Canik/Armalite/P9/etc mags. MecGar makes some.
Old February 10, 2014, 01:43 PM   #6
Clipper

I would go with a CZ if that style appeals to you. CZ/Dan Wesson is located in Kansas and I hear their customer support is top notch. EAA on the other hand is known for some of the worst customer service in the industry.
Old February 10, 2014, 01:53 PM   #7
RX-79G

EAA is not the only purveyor of CZ style guns. A Baby Eagle/Uzi Eagle or AR-24 would be great choices in new guns.

If you want an secondhand gun, customer service doesn't matter - it is out of warranty. A TZ-75 has just as much access to parts as a CZ.
Old February 10, 2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Martowski

I had a CZ-75b, but sold it a couple months ago. Was in perfect condition and I had two sets of grips and three mags with it. However, it never ended up being the right 9mm for me.

I used to have a Witness, sold it about 15 years ago, and have wondered if I got rid of it too soon. Just bought what appears to be an excellent condition TZ-75 Series 88 online. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.
Old February 10, 2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Clipper

Quote:
EAA is not the only purveyor of CZ style guns. A Baby Eagle/Uzi Eagle or AR-24 would be great choices in new guns.
Don't forget about the Sphinx and Armalite. Those 2 are CZ clones.

Sphinx - Made in Switzerland:

Last edited by Clipper; February 10, 2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old February 10, 2014, 02:42 PM   #10
RX-79G

The AR-24 is the Armalite.

I don't know if the Sphynx is such a good value. I think some of the other choices are as nice for much less money.
Old February 10, 2014, 02:44 PM   #11
Roughedge

Ive had a BTA-90 for 25 years. Its the smaller TA-90 and its one of my favorite 9mm's. Im not a big 9mm shooter so it sits in the safe most of the time. If I decide to carry a 9mm I go for it over my S&W 9mm.
Old February 13, 2014, 01:12 AM   #12
hemiram

I have a "Mossad" Tanfoglio, it's about 24 years old, great gun. Unlike some of the Israeli imports, mine is in excellent condition, even the grips are nice. I also have a compact "Mossad" with funky grips, but a little sanding helped a lot. Both of them seem to be totally reliable, and were from day one. The spider egg sac in the compact's mag didn't seem to phase it at all.
Old February 13, 2014, 08:21 AM   #13
Martowski

I'm guessing those mags sat for awhile! I've seen the Mossads on Gunbroker and the hard chrome ones look nice, but most of the ones I've seen are in pretty rough condition. Glad you got a good one.

Anyone know a good source of grips that fit the TZ-75? I just bought one a few days ago and it's on its way to me.
Old February 13, 2014, 04:29 PM   #14
armoredman

The AR-24 Armalite is a Sarsilmaz clone of a clone. Good pistols.
The Sphinx is a cloneof the CZ with all the rough edges polished off, a CZ turned into a Swiss watch. I hear very good things about them, but the price tag generally turns me away.
Spider egg sac? I feel a story coming on...
Martowski, the TZ-75 SHOULD accept grips made for EA Witness small frame and original CZ-75...should. Make sure you get a return guarantee. czfirearms.us Clone Club would probably have more info on that one - I haven't had a Witness in years.
Old February 15, 2014, 07:47 AM   #15
gyvel

Quote:
The older Tans were slightly upgraded CZ clones, and should be able to use 15 round CZ magazines, (possibly not the newer 16 rounders), and some CZ grips and holsters for the standard CZ -75.
Older Tanfoglios had a slide safety not seen on the CZ 75. Also, there is just enough difference in the frame to make the grips non-interchangeable.
Old February 15, 2014, 09:55 AM   #16
Martowski

Mine is a Series 88, so it has the frame mounted safety and dimensions that should be almost identical to the small frame Witnesses. However, it's hard to even find grips for the Witness and I don't want the Hogue finger groove grips. I'm looking for either plain rubber panels or wood checkered grips.
Old February 15, 2014, 11:07 AM   #17
Walt Sherrill

Check with this guy: http://www.czgrips.us/

He does grips for full-size Witnesses, and may be able to do something for the small frame versions, too. If not, I suspect he'll know who can.

He does good work.