The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
leonz66

The Field Test of Glock recoil buffers.

The test has been targeted to determine the best recoil buffer for Glock handguns on the market.
For the sake of fairness products of several manufacturers were extensively tested in the real field shooting conditions with the same recoil springs and ammo.

Please take a look on attached article.

Glock_Recoil_Buffers_Test.pdf

Thanks
Old March 22, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2
JAREDSHS

????looks and sounds like a drive by to me.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

While it may be unusual for a new member to show up with an equipment test "in hand," that doesn't make it a drive-by.

Welcome to TFL, leonz66.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 22, 2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Thread assessed. Looks OK.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Nanuk

Why do you need a buffer in a Glock?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:45 PM   #5
ScottRiqui

I read the linked test, and while it said that all of the buffers reduced recoil equally well, I didn't see anything quantitatively comparing the recoil with any of the buffers to the recoil without a buffer.
Old March 23, 2013, 01:01 AM   #6
leonz66

Hi, Folks.
I have to mention, that I'm not engaged by either manufacturer to promote the stuff. It's my own test, nothing more.
Here're some more notes if you're interested. Many people, including very senior shooters believe in Glock Perfection and 200.000k rounds lifetime.
Without arguing, I'd say the following:
Based on my tests, stock spring does not create much impact on a frame with 115gr. ammo. For a while you don't shot heavy loads and your spring has no degradation, you can be safe without the buffer.
However, springs tend to weaken. Based on some measurements, stock 17lbs spring can became 14lbs after about 3000-5000 rounds (saying can, not obviously will). The spring also weakens just with the time, in a year-two it can get to 14lbs. I'd made a trial to figure out how people can recognize their springs went bad. I've made a dozen of single-use buffers of the same shape, cut by knife from the simple thin vinyl. Then, I've asked people in our shooting club to place this piece on their glocks and shot some 50-100 rounds.
As you may guess, about 70-80% of them revealed deep signs/cuts on these gaskets. Thus, I knew that slide hits the frame pretty frequently and people are ignorant about it. We mostly do not feel how it weakened, the gun still shots well and we start to absorb the extra energy in our hand/elbow joints.
I'd say, our joint tissues are not better than specially designed shock absorption polymer. Of course, the frame and slide are also suffering, but these are easy to replace, unlike our joints.
Next, please consider people often use reduced springs to achieve quick follow-up shots. And 11-12lbs is the common way to go. Certainly, the impact is much higher.
And the last. Blazer is one of the softest recoil ammos. I can definitely tell you that Winch. 115gr. hits significantly stronger and with the same setting the buffer won't survive even 1000 rounds.
Certainly, with the .40 the game becomes much more tough and the buffer can help to save your elbows.
There's no recipe. It's just FYI.

As about the felt recoil. I was honest with my test but this means I only wrote what I was certain with. I generally don't care much on recoil, not with 9mm. I can't even say whether I feel any difference between buffer installed and removed. I really don't care on it and only interested in how quick I can get muzzle on a target back. I tend to say that with the buffer I can place a follow-up better. But it could be a purely "placebo" effect. I can't prove it and hence, do not mention in the test.
But again, I believe my elbow (pretty damaged by tennis and age) dislikes the buffer-less Glock with reduced recoil spring. Even I never lock my elbows, I feel that after some 300 rounds.

Thanks for discussing and sorry if I'm saying something you don't agree with.

Last edited by leonz66; March 23, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old March 24, 2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Nanuk

I just think a buffer is a waste of time and money, it also adds something else that can go wrong. If the spring is weak, replace it. Glocks have gone hundreds of thousands of rounds with zero damage and no part replacements, so I see these as another gimmick.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Swampman1

Quote:
I just think a buffer is a waste of time and money, it also adds something else that can go wrong. If the spring is weak, replace it. Glocks have gone hundreds of thousands of rounds with zero damage and no part replacements, so I see these as another gimmick.
At the same time, there's no point in downplaying the effort he put into the subject matter.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:04 AM   #9
leonz66

Folks
There's no point to argue whether the buffer is needed or not.
As I wrote, there's a lot of people believing it Glock perfection and being afraid of anything but stock.
I had buffers of several kinds during at least 20.000 rounds now and didn't realize any "something else" so far.
This test if just FYI.
If you consider reduced spring, heavy loads, faster shots or have elbow issues, you may find it useful. If not, I'm perfectly fine with your choice.

Thanks
Old March 25, 2013, 09:21 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Thanks for the info. I have never used one, but my Glock is well over 5,000 rounds, a good bit of it 40 SW, so I need to check out some new springs at least.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:36 AM   #11
jmstr

Thanks for the work, and for not trying to convert all of us to using them.

I appreciate that this is just a FYI thread.