The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
JTJones

JDS quick measure

Does anyone here use this powder measure. What are your likes and dislikes about this measure. Does it do stick powders as well as advertised. Would this measure be a step up from my lyman 55 ? Here a link to it www.quick-measure.com
Old May 16, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2
JTJones

I guess nobody uses this powder measure.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:57 PM   #3
PawPaw

I guess not. I can't imagine it being a step up from the Lyman 55.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 16, 2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

At the price, not many people using it is understandable. But the guy who owns the business seems competent and of the reports I have read, no one has any complaints over its operation. It seems to do what is advertised, as advertised.

I have watched the video from the web site and did some research on the thing several months ago when I first heard of it and did find a few users (can't remember what forum, though) who liked it. I still can't figure out how it works, though.

I like a powder measure that cannot abuse the powder granules, but I can't get past the price, no matter how well or accurately it works.

I had RCBS, Lyman and Redding powder measures, but traded them off. For production work I use Lee Auto-Disk (because it goes conveniently on my Lee Turret press's dies) and for accurate work, Lee Dippers and for super-accurate work, Lee Dippers and a trickler and scale. I feel well served by those tools for my needs.

What are your needs?

Lost Sheep
Old May 16, 2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I have one I got on Rocky Raab's recommendation. It works as advertised. Always within 0.2 grains when I've used it. There is one on-line test I've seen where it did not do as well, but still did better than others the same tester was using, so maybe he was heavy-handed. Add a second powder baffle and don't shake or vibrate anything in an irregular pattern and it can often stay within 0.1 grain. Just be consistent with it, same as with any other measure to get best performance from it.

The dislikes would be it is more trouble to set up than most measures, though if you stick to one powder charge you can buy a separate metering tube to leave set up with your standard charge. I don't like how the small charge adapters for pistol work. With fine grains like Power Pistol they drag in the dispensing tube and it is slow going. Accurate, but slow. Think of this unit as a rifle stick powder measure and you will get the best use from it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 17, 2012, 08:09 PM   #6
JTJones

Thankyou for the replies. I was going to purchase this for rifle stick powders and use my lyman 55 for ball powders and pistol loads. I'm still on the fence whether to buy this measure or a RCBS charge master combo.