The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Hornady NTX .224 caliber

I was just at the gun shop and these 35 gr. Hornady NTX bullets were on sale. Usually that store does not have any components on sale unless they aren't moving. So a box came home. Anybody have any opinions about these based on experience? Thought they may be good for 22 Hornet and 222 Remington. Would be for prairie dogs.

Thanks!
Old December 16, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2
mrawesome22

I would say unless you live in Kalifornia they are a pass.
Old December 16, 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't used the NTX but I do use Nosler's lead free ballistic tip 35gr bullets in 22-250 (my uncle's gun actually). The Hornady bullets look almost exactly the same, based on cut-aways I've seen. The Nosler's are excellent, with terminal performance as good as anything I've loaded and very, very good accuracy.

Dpn't know if that's apples to apples or apples to oranges.
Old December 17, 2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

Nosler 35 gr.

Those Noslers are the first handloads made for that new 222. Can't wait to try them at the range. You were the one that told me about them, Peet.

Gonna try some of the NTX 35 grain too, in 22-250, 222 Rem, and 22 Hornet. These bullets have a better BC than other projectiles, like the Barnes 30 gr and 35 gr V-max. This shooting thing has become one big science fair project. Gets more interesting all the time.

Supposed to be sunny and get up to 55 tomorrow. Dang!
Old December 17, 2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Cool! Well, I'll be looking forward to hearing how the NTX perform for you also. I like light and fast.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Nosler 35 gr. lead free speed trials

The velocity was astounding from the old Savage 22-250. 38 gr. of Benchmark produced 4450 fps. There was absoluetly no indication of over pressure. Primer looked fine, bolt opend fine, and even though I only had two rounds at that powder weight, they were about 5/8 inch apart. I had been at the range for 5 hours, and that rifle was the last one I fired. So my concentration was pretty much lost. Anyway, if you like fast, this bullet goes like speed of light. No key hole, so evidently they held together.
Old December 18, 2011, 09:08 PM   #7
A_Gamehog

Hey Col. Redneck,

What's the twist in that 22-250 rifle?

My 1-12 shoots the 40 grain Nosler LeadFree's very good. Almost any good 22-250 powder works. Not fussy at all.
Old December 18, 2011, 10:00 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Are they long enough to get close to the rifling?
Old December 19, 2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Colorado Redneck

Twist and COAL

The twist on that Savage is 1:12

Used the COL recommended by the IMR website, 2.350.
Old December 19, 2011, 11:20 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome22 View Post
Are they long enough to get close to the rifling?
I can't find all the listings but it appears that both the Hornady and Nosler lead free bullets are all very close to or the same length as their lead counterparts. Whatever they fill them with is lighter than lead so the bullet has to be longer than a lead bullet of the same weight.
Old December 20, 2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Colorado Redneck

Peetzakiller

Hey Peet= I sent you an email, but did it from my Hotmail acct. So if you get an email from someone you never heard from, it might be me.
Old December 20, 2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You've got mail.
Old December 23, 2011, 11:01 AM   #13
bigwrench

I found these on sale at sportsmans and decided to give them a try as well. I will be doing some load development with them today if the weather becomes favorable. I have compared them to both the 40 grn. and 50 grn. v-max and they are longer than the 40 and shorter than the 50. They will be fired from a 1-12" twist 24" barrelled 223 remington. And I am hoping that they will like to run fast.
Old December 30, 2011, 09:29 PM   #14
bigwrench

Well, after a few bumps in the road I have managed to find a load with these 35 grain ntx bullets that my rifle loves. And as a side note I have fallen in love with Benchmark as well. The stuff meters like a dream, burns clean as anything you will find, and accuracy has been great. But back to the bullets the only complaint that I have is that they seem to leave more copper fowling than normal bullets. Don't know why that would be because I would think the jacket material would be the same as v-max, SPSX, ect. To be fair though this is a new rifle and the NTX is the only bullet I have tryed at this point, so the fowling could be due to a less than smooth barrel.