The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Pukindog12

Advice on 9 mm

I am basically a revolver guy although I have owned semi-autos and do currently own semi-autos. I now want to purchase a good quality semi-auto. I really would like a 45 or 357 Sig but cost of gun and primarily ammo cost is prohibitive. I have shunned 9 mm through the years with a passion but upon reflection may have been neglecting myself of some fine pistols. I have been doing some homework and I am leaning towards a CZ or a Bersa in 9 mm.

The criteria is:

1. Between $400 - $600.
2. Reliable with good customer service.
3. Aesthetically pleasing. (For this reason I prefer not a Glock. I know that is anal.)
4. Good track record.
5. This will also be for CCW.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Pukindog12; February 14, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old February 14, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2
JWT

CZ PCR or PO1 would be a good 9mm choice based on what you're looking for.
Old February 14, 2011, 04:42 PM   #3
tynimiller

You'll be happy with both of those options (CZ or Bersa)
Old February 14, 2011, 04:45 PM   #4
vyse.04

From your post it sounds like you prefer the SA/DA as opposed to just DA. I would also recommend checking out an FNP/FNX. Awhile back I was contemplating an FNP-357, but ended up getting a steal on a 1911. I would be all over one now, but I'm holding out in the hopes that FNH will enter the concealed carry market (currently they really only cater to LE/Military). I'm not sure if you wanted to go the polymer route or not, but it is a nice firearm. I'm with you on the CZ-75. I think my next SA/DA will be a 75 Compact or PCR.
Old February 14, 2011, 04:48 PM   #5
JCP281

400 bucks and you can get yourself a brand spankin new Kahr CW9. Im a Kahr fanboy, but heres my reasoning.

Glock RELIABILITY, high end looks, EXCELLENT DAO trigger.

The CW series is the best bang for your buck for a quality budget gun. IMO of course.
Old February 14, 2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Amin Parker

It is very hard to beat a Cz pistol. I cannot recommend them highly enough, you cant go wrong with one.

I have 2 cz 75s and one 75 compact. Hopefully i will get my paws on a Shadow soon. I am very pleased with this brand of pistol.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old February 14, 2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Olympus

Ruger SR9c!

1. Paid $395 for it new!
2. Ruger has excellent customer service!
3. Matter of individual opinion, but I personally find it aethetically appealing.
4. TONS of good reviews and threads about this gun!
5. Being a compact, it is my primary carry gun. The extended mag gives the gun the ability to make the grips into a full size grip for days when you want to have fun at the range.

Exhibition quality 1911 grips!
Old February 14, 2011, 05:59 PM   #8
CWKahrFan

Internet consensus is that CZ quality is WAY better than Bersa. The CZ's are on the heavy side for CCW but, then, I don't know your feelings about polymer. For me, weight is a big factor. I'm also a big fan of the Kahr CW series... Have CW9 and CW45... carry the 9 a lot (it runs @18oz.). If you want thicker double-stacks, the Ruger SR9 at @27oz. or 9c at @24oz. are fine (as Olympus says)... The new Ruger LC9 is basically the same size/weight as the Kahr CW9. The lightest CZ is the 2075 RAMI P @24oz... The big steel CZ's 75B are @34oz. but the alloy ones are in the 28oz. range. I'm just suggesting to pay a lot of attention to weight while considering all your carry options...
Old February 14, 2011, 06:08 PM   #9
KAK

Glock is always a good choice, but its kinda following the crowd.

other good ones include:

The sigpro sp2022 Academy for $400
Springfield XD
Ruger SR9
Old February 14, 2011, 07:34 PM   #10
PT-92

For a full-size CCW (your price range allows for considerable possibilities), I would consider:

1) Beretta 92 or its cloned cousin the Taurus PT-92
2) Ruger P-95
3) S&W Sigma

For a small-frame CCW, I would go with the Kel-Tec P-11 hands-down.

That being said, this thread contains many other viable choices as well.

-Cheers
Old February 14, 2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Marlin009

Old February 14, 2011, 09:10 PM   #12
treg

Another revo guy considering the 9mm here. My criteria is similar to the OP but also includes fully adjustable sights.

I am intrigued with the SR9c mainly but have some interest in the M&P Pro, Hi-Power, PT-99, Witness Pro, Bersa and the 1911 platform as well. Plenty of time to ponder and fondle (and read TFL) while the pennies pile up.
Old February 14, 2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Olympus

Fully adjustable sights on the SR9c. Not many compact models offer that feature.

Old February 14, 2011, 10:22 PM   #14
curmudgeon1

+1 on that SR9c ; can't go wrong with the rugged Ruger.
Old February 14, 2011, 10:57 PM   #15
Misssissippi Dave

The ones that come to mind are CZ compacts, Sig Pro 2022, Sig P6 ( used German Police pistol and single stack). There are some others in the used category too. You may also have to decide if you want a safety selector or de-cocker on yours. I prefer having the de-cocker to make things safer to carry mine loaded with one in the chamber. This way it is like a revolver and you can shoot it double action for the first round or if time permits you can cock it with a thumb for a single action shot. Unlike a revolver all shots after the first are single action.

I have shot but do not own a Bersa. It was quite accurate and easy to shoot. Its size was right for carrying but maybe a tad heavy to some people for a daily carry piece. A good holster and belt can solve many carry problems in my opinion.
Old February 15, 2011, 10:45 AM   #16
Fargazer

Ruger SR9c is a very good choice, as pointed out by many on this thread; my wife has one and enjoys it quite a bit. The trigger is very nice.

For me, I ended up with a Walther P99c AS; very ergonomic, accurate, and easy to field strip. Meets all your criteria; cost is probably going to be in the mid $500s.

Try to handle one if you can though; the magazine release is under the trigger guard, and some people hate that. The Walther P22 is setup the same way, so that may give you an indication of what it is like if you can't find a P99c in stock.
Old February 15, 2011, 10:56 AM   #17
jimbob86

My brother has the SR9c ..... nice gun. Excellent gun, considering the price.
Old February 15, 2011, 01:30 PM   #18
stevieboy

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're interested in a striker fired pistol then I agree with several of the posters, a Ruger SR9 or SR9C is an excellent choice. I've fired one on several occasions, it's tough, accurate, performs very well, and is cheap. About my only criticism of the gun is that it has a fairly mushy trigger.

Another good choice would be a Glock. Not a very glamorous gun, I know, but they run like the Energizer Bunny and have a reputation of being very good shooters.

If, on the other hand, you want something a bit beefier, with a hammer, then I'd suggest a CZ 75B. I have one (the all single action version) and I just can't praise it enough. In fact, I often sing the praises of my CZ on this and other forums. It's inexpensive, at less than $500, tough as nails, has a very decent trigger, and is ultra accurate. It performs splendidly, and best of all, it fits my hand as if it were made for it.
Old February 15, 2011, 01:37 PM   #19
Olympus

As I said, the SR9c would be my recommendation for a striker-fired gun. If you want something with a hammer, I would recommend the Beretta PX4 Compact. I used to own the full size PX4 like someone has already posted and it was a great gun. It was a little big and heavy for concealing in my opinion, but still a great shooter. The PX4 Compact should be just as good as the full size and easier to conceal if you like hammered guns.

Old February 15, 2011, 10:22 PM   #20
Luis Leon

A CZ75b would be a fine choice. When I pick mine up it always fits like its meant to be in my hand. So accurate it makes me look a better shooter than I am. The only problem with CZs is that they are such good values they tend to multiply in the gun safe.
Old February 15, 2011, 10:28 PM   #21
trustygun25

S&W M&P 9mm I love Glocks but i have to say my m&p is winning me over, they are great guns, trigger is ok, but as a total package a+ plus s&w customer service is A+++++++++
Old February 15, 2011, 11:16 PM   #22
hikingman

Congrats on your decision to enter 9-land. You should consider the Sig 9mm pistols that are in your range.

Sig is a brand that many have chosen used, since so many sit in the box or safe and are barely broken-in.
P6 would be an excellent choice for a pre-owned pistol. Contact me by PM if you have more questions...
Old February 15, 2011, 11:16 PM   #23
ethan95

CZ is great, but i would shy away from Bersa. A Glock would also be a good choice and so would a Ruger SR9. Berreta 92's are great and so are the Px storms.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:27 PM   #24
ClydeFrog

My picks...

I'd check out the great C format Beretta PX4 Storm, the S&W MP9 compact with a ambi safety/night sights, the S&W SD9, the EZ9 from EAA, the Ruger SR9c(with a stainless slide).

A SIG CPO(pre owned, factory service) in the DAK format with new night sights could be a great 9x19mm carry weapon. A P239 a P229R or P226R.
The SAS melding is good too but hard to find in CPO type SIG Sauer models.
Old February 16, 2011, 03:32 AM   #25
dogbone

Pick your favorite gun chambered in .357 Sig and spend a little extra on a .40 S&W barrel.

.40 is only a little more expensive than 9mm for target ammo (in my area, and of course this is a relative judgement on my part). Most guns in .357 Sig are also produced in .40 and generally all you have to change out is the barrel. Magazine, slide and recoil spring all serve double duty.

For example, I found a S&W M&P40C used at a local gun shop for just under $400. A Storm Lake barrel in .357 can be had for under $200, so you stay under your $600 limit.